PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Week Aircraft

Speedbird1
2011-05-27, 05:45 AM
I made my annual visit to some of the military vessels here for Fleet Week. I am sad to report that visiting rules have been changed. I was no longer left on my own aboard the LHD USS Iwo Jima. Now when you visit, you must go with a group. They provide 2 tour guides which is very nice but they only give you a half hour on the flight deck. I didn't even get time to jot down the choppers I saw. I know there was an Osprey and I think a Nighthawk; no signs were evident of the types. Now for the really bad part, visitors can no longer enter inside the helicopters or any other aicraft. The area is roped-off and I couldn't even get access around the Harrier at all. All craft were heavily guarded. In past years, I could spend unlimited time on the Flight Deck and enter inside each craft. I was told it has to do with tightened security; which I respect. So I am reporting that if you visit, don't expect the freedom of the past years. It's a sign of the times I guess. It was a nice visit but be fore-warned that unless you arrive early in the morning, the lines get long! Have a great and safe Memorial Day Weekend.