PDA

View Full Version : The Mounds 5-26-11

RomNYC
2011-05-26, 02:54 PM
I had not spotted in over 2 months so I decided to hit the Mounds around 1pm, in spite of the bad light and the bugs. I was gone by 1:30pm!

After shooting 2 Delta's and 1 Austrian, a car stopped by with 2 guys inside. I didn't pay attention until the gentlemen jumped the barrier, onto the soccer field. No uniforms, no guns, but I knew they were interested in me.

I went down to the field myself and they introduced themselves as FBI, which was quickly confirmed by the IDs they showed me. They told me that the nearby school had called the police (how surprising...) and that they never came, explaining why the FBI took care of it.

Having been stopped several times at the same location, for the same reason, I was aware of the Mounds situation, but I (wrongly) assumed that school was over for the summer. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to come today.

They asked for my ID and checked it out on the phone, which took a good 5 minutes. I chatted with the other guy during the process. Questions I got:

- Where are you from? (my NYS drivers license mentions "TEMP VISITOR")
- What are you in the US for? (school)
- What do you study? (business management)
- Do you take photo classes? (told them that I should, and get better :rolleyes:)
- Why do you shoot airplanes? (for fun, and I mentioned the bunch of talented photogs at nycaviation.com)
- What planes are you interested in? (Boeing's in general)

They said that the school was concerned about people potentially taking pictures of the kids, which is why they keep calling. I told them that I (and we) are aware of the concern, and that we have oftentimes met their NYPD colleagues because of that, and I apologized for creating concern and disturbing police forces. They said no problem.

He told me, nicely but firmly, "please do us a favor and come back in June, when school isn't in session". He didn't technically tell me to leave but I sensed that it was the best thing to do. I said no problem, apologized again for the trouble, to which they said "ah, don't worry about it".

They gave me my ID back, we shook hands, and off I went. They didn't go back to their car right away, I think they went to the school afterwards.

To sum up, no problems at all, nice and polite folks. But it would be nice if spotters and school representatives met and educated each other.

EDIT: they also mentioned that the soccer field is the park's property, and that the mounds is airport property... I wasn't going to question them but I thought that was weird.

Cary
2011-05-26, 03:45 PM
Hopefully the FBI explained to the principal (or whomever called) that people pointing their cameras away from the school, toward the sky aren't interested in the kids. I can just imagine her peering through the windows every time a spotter is out there. It seemed like the FBI were pretty level-headed, which is good. If they asked me what planes I was interested in, I would have gone into a 20 minute diatribe about Twin Otters, my failed attempts to get the Oprah 757, etc.

Zee71
2011-05-26, 03:48 PM
Rom,

Sounds like things turned out positive for you and you handled the situation as best as one can. I totally agree with spotters and school representatives meeting and educating each other.

I was thinking about heading for the mounds myself, but I ended going to Farmingdale Republic Airport. I was out early this morning and headed over to Bayswater, but the gates were locked at 7am and the fog was it. I was able to catch a shot of National Cargo (which was parked by Evergreen Cargo), a DC-8. Picture to follow shortly.

NIKV69
2011-05-26, 03:51 PM
He told me, nicely but firmly, "please do us a favor and come back in June, when school isn't in session".

Wow where have I heard that before.

Gerard
2011-05-26, 07:40 PM
I went down to the field myself and they introduced themselves as FBI, which was quickly confirmed by the IDs they showed me. They told me that the nearby school had called the police (how surprising...) and that they never came, explaining why the FBI took care of it.

Interesting. Wonder how the FBI picked up that call? Buffing the local precinct frequency?

threeholerglory
2011-05-26, 07:50 PM
Wow where have I heard that before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsKsZFu68YM

gonzalu
2011-05-26, 08:26 PM
Very interesting indeed. I wonder what can be done about my kids picture being taken at Central Park... never mind, Once I was walking through Times Square with my family and I think I must have gone by about 10,000 tourists, if only one percent took pictures while we walked past their shot, I guess my daughter is in serious trouble.

And BTW, the school does not take pictures of their kids? I wonder if the Janitor or all the teachers at the school have the right intentions and are checked by the FBI too. Don;t get me started with some of the Bus drivers!

The principle COULD (I am just saying) at least come out and meet with us or meet with the pilice BEFORE they meet with us and come along with the cops and see what we're about and EDUCATE themselves instead of drawing conclusions.

The Mounds COULD be airport property since it is near the end of the landing lights...

RomNYC
2011-05-26, 08:47 PM
The Mounds COULD be airport property since it is near the end of the landing lights...

They seem to be aware of the confusion because before I could even mention it, they told me that there should be signs around the area, properly showing what is off limits.

Cary
2011-05-26, 09:40 PM
The mounds should be part of the park, as shown on Brookville Park's own map (http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/Q008/map). But we all know it's really owned by the ticks :smile:

NIKV69
2011-05-26, 09:54 PM
That park is public property.

wunaladreamin
2011-05-27, 04:42 PM
I know alot of folks on the site are new, and your passion for the hobby is incredible, but please lets use some common sense. Regardless of whether or not its public property, one is only asking for trouble going to the mounds when school is in session. The world didnt end on schedule last week so please be smart about things. The planes will always be there.

RomNYC
2011-05-27, 11:48 PM
I know alot of folks on the site are new, and your passion for the hobby is incredible, but please lets use some common sense. Regardless of whether or not its public property, one is only asking for trouble going to the mounds when school is in session. The world didnt end on schedule last week so please be smart about things. The planes will always be there.

Didn't I say that I believed school was not in session, and that I wouldn't have come otherwise?

And those newer to the hobby that me can only be confused by the website's spotting guide that mentions that "no fellow spotters have encountered law enforcement here". An update should be in order, imo.

Delta777LR
2011-05-28, 12:48 AM
I still dont think its all that worth it to show up at the mounds around early afternoons in general, knowing that light is not all that good till at least after 3pm or later, as Kenny said, use common sence. The school is always gonna probably make calls more and more while someone is out there spotting or such what.. Thats why when i go to the mounds most times, i would go on the weekends more. or in the summer time. Just because the spotting guide says that there was never an encounter there, anywhere you planespot, they always can be. You might get an officer that can be understandable, you may get one that could not care and just ask you to just leave if ordered to, even if its a public place, there are some cops that wont care where you at but if are asked to leave, just leave and pick another time to spot while school is not in session. thats just my saying..

NIKV69
2011-05-28, 04:28 AM
Didn't I say that I believed school was not in session, and that I wouldn't have come otherwise?

And those newer to the hobby that me can only be confused by the website's spotting guide that mentions that "no fellow spotters have encountered law enforcement here". An update should be in order, imo.

Good point.

To take Sergio's point further the light at the mounds doesn't become primo till mid June. Which also marks the end of the school year which is always late June.

Gerard
2011-05-28, 08:26 AM
I'm still intrigued that the Federales showed up. NYPD, NCPD, PAPD sure but now the FBI?? :tongue::confused:

hiss srq
2011-05-28, 09:08 AM
Rom, consider yourself a marked man, you are either on a watch list now or they have placed your picture in the break room of Chuck-E-Cheese... I kid... I am facinated by why the FBI popped up instead of the local city boys though.Were they dressed in suits or plain clothes... Just curious

RomNYC
2011-05-29, 12:14 AM
Rom, consider yourself a marked man, you are either on a watch list now or they have placed your picture in the break room of Chuck-E-Cheese... I kid... I am facinated by why the FBI popped up instead of the local city boys though.Were they dressed in suits or plain clothes... Just curious

Casual... polo shirts and khaki pants.

When one of them was finishing checking my ID over the phone, he said "nah, scratch it". No idea what that means, maybe "don't record the encounter" (?).

nexpos
2011-05-31, 03:25 PM
I dropped by there twice yesterday, but the entire park was surrounded with a blue tarp for a party. I was kind of curious as to why a whole park would be shut down for a party. I stood on the outer edge, but of course most plane (including EK201 A380) were down so low the trees and weeds were in the way.

megatop412
2011-05-31, 09:39 PM
I think it's hilarious the feds showed up. You would think the feds, of all people, would know who we are and have a profile worked up on each of us by now. You know, "because of 9/11".

Seriously, it's sad because, really, we could be a major asset at airports around the country. What better trained, UNPAID, volunteers would there be? Reminds me of stories my Dad told me about how they used to train civilians to be able to identify enemy aircraft. And people were happy to do it.