PDA

View Full Version : BMW 5 vs 3 series for commercial...

mirrodie
2011-05-04, 05:11 PM
Love the following commercial but.....

http://youtu.be/JyepAoMG7TA

having taken an interest in the 335D, that car actually gets 36 mpg over the 5's 32.

if fuel consumption is the premise of the commercial, I dont see how this is not more appropriate for the 335D?

Also, bmw is foreign to me. What are the major differences between both?

moose135
2011-05-04, 06:33 PM
"Not without a tanker!"

I love it! Of course, with the coffee we usually had on board, you could use it to run the car...

gonzalu
2011-05-04, 06:36 PM
The BMW M5 is the ultimate driving machine. And you don't have to leave your friend's wife behind :-)

Roush6NY
2011-05-04, 08:22 PM
I have driven the M5, that's one wicked car! My buddy topped it out around 175 and it was nothing for that car.

mirrodie
2011-05-04, 08:23 PM
OK, take it down a notch. Doing 175 is hardly a reason to buy it.

HOw is the 3 series that much better than the 5?

Greg_NY
2011-05-04, 09:54 PM
My brother has a new M5 and he and I did the BMW performance driving school in South Carolina. Taking it through it's paces around the track is where it really shines - the handling, acceleration and strong brakes are all amazing. It's really an awesome machine and the sound of that V10 ... OMG!!!!

Mario, the 3 series is a smaller and lower cost car than the 5 series. The 3 series is very highly regarded and there are many variations available. From 6 cylinders to a V8, from 2 door to 4 door and a convertible. And that diesel is quite something - huge torque out of that engine.

Isaac

RomNYC
2011-05-04, 11:28 PM
The Top Gear roadtest of the M5 (from a couple of years ago) is a must-see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwR1WH0rR8

gonzalu
2011-05-04, 11:39 PM
The M3 with the electronic clutch is well, delicious. To me not as great as the M5 ... BUT, the M3 does enjoy one thing missing from most of its competition: 50/50 weight distribution and seriously low unsprung weight... meaning it can be tossed around much harder than the M5. However, once the M5 gets back on the straight, it's tailpipe-views for the M3 :cool:

I have driven both at Lime Rock Park in CT. Aside from a Dodge Viper R/T, the M5 left me speechless. It is almost as hard as the Viper but soooooo much more refined, smoother, quieter, etc.

The Viper shines when you are going at 100MPH out of a corner and you hit the gas and you feel your brain contents compress against the back of your skull... but then it does have more CI than the Bimmer's V10 and in the end, torque is everything on a track as short as Lime Rock. On the Nurburgring, the M5 would likely do better against the Viper.

Oh I love this stuff as much as planes.

Kaz, let's GO!!!!!

P.S. Fastest I have ever driven myself was 167MPH between Munich and Meinigen in Germany. Passing cops at that speed makes you giggle as if you were in your mother's arms as a baby LOL! Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG that belonged to a Senior VP of an Optical Networking company we do business with (I wish it were mine) ... that was very scary and exciting at the same time. The car could just keep on going and it felt completely safe... mostly because you KNOW no one is going to get in front of you.. .and also because at 140MPH someone actually flashed to pass hahahahaha. That was cool. Moved over, let the little 911 GT pass and then hopped behind him for about 20 miles at 165+

Kaz! How fast is that beast of yours?

Roush6NY
2011-05-05, 01:06 AM
Kaz! How fast is that beast of yours?

Manny, it "stops" at 155 (not that I've tried) .. But I could imagine it won't be hard since it's up to 90 in a blink of an eye and it feels like you are doing 50 !

Motor Trend did a head to head race with the new M3 and my car and both cars ended up being dead even off the line ... Pretty cool video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muRC7WJHgmA

T-Bird76
2011-05-05, 10:35 AM
Mario the 3 series has much better reliability ratings over the long term then the 5 series. I've been looking into a 3 series, prob pull the trigger summer of 2012. I'm not going new though, def doing preowned certified. Let someone else enjoy the depreciation costs :) 5 series to me seems to be a bit stoggy while the 3 series is youthful, sporty, yet elegant.

NIKV69
2011-05-05, 01:29 PM
Mario the 3 series has much better reliability ratings over the long term then the 5 series. I've been looking into a 3 series, prob pull the trigger summer of 2012. I'm not going new though, def doing preowned certified. Let someone else enjoy the depreciation costs :) 5 series to me seems to be a bit stoggy while the 3 series is youthful, sporty, yet elegant.

Not only that but I am thinking of buying a Bimmer and the 5 series is not enough of a jump up from the 3 to justify the difference in cost. Not including the 7 series you just get more for your money with the 3 series.

mirrodie
2011-05-05, 03:14 PM

Not only that but I am thinking of buying a Bimmer and the 5 series is not enough of a jump up from the 3 to justify the difference in cost. Not including the 7 series you just get more for your money with the 3 series.

Ahh, something we three wizards of ID can agree on? While not a huge car enthusiast myself I too am thinking of the next car and reliability is one of my first priorities. So yes, Tom, that is why I have interest in the 3 CPO myself. But I gotta tell you, that commercial doesnt seem to make too much sense since its premise is fuel consumption and the 3 is better than 5 on that front.

335D to be exact. But.....MAza is bringing....guess what Nick....DIESELS here. The cx7 and cx9 are decent fun cars and with a diesel, WHOOOP!

NIKV69
2011-05-05, 04:58 PM
335D to be exact. But.....MAza is bringing....guess what Nick....DIESELS here. The cx7 and cx9 are decent fun cars and with a diesel, WHOOOP!

?? If you want fun with a Mazda get the Rotary engine. You can rev the heck out of that thing and do better donuts in the snow. As for the diesel go for it I just will refuse to talk to you. :biggrin:

T-Bird76
2011-05-05, 05:04 PM
Ahh, something we three wizards of ID can agree on? While not a huge car enthusiast myself I too am thinking of the next car and reliability is one of my first priorities. So yes, Tom, that is why I have interest in the 3 CPO myself. But I gotta tell you, that commercial doesnt seem to make too much sense since its premise is fuel consumption and the 3 is better than 5 on that front.

Mazda??? Eh...diven them before...plastic peices of crap...

mirrodie
2011-05-05, 05:15 PM
Tom, after listening to you wax poetic about Droids and seeing you switch teams to iPhone, you've lost all credibility. :wink:

As for Mazda, they are just behind Honda in reliability and BMW lags further behind, but if I do spring for a Mazda, I may lease a diesel. lets see what the next few model years hold.

mirrodie
2011-05-06, 11:55 AM
Tom, I am usually in agreement with CPO regarding depreciation, but not only that.. I hate that new car's first DING. total killer.

The 3 series BMW I've read is getting a re-vamp.

T-Bird76
2011-05-06, 04:36 PM
Tom, after listening to you wax poetic about Droids and seeing you switch teams to iPhone, you've lost all credibility. :wink:

As for Mazda, they are just behind Honda in reliability and BMW lags further behind, but if I do spring for a Mazda, I may lease a diesel. lets see what the next few model years hold.

See you are putting words in my mouth.....I said there are good and bad about both. As for Mazada....I'm telling you, look at their cockpit...plastic, plastic, plastic. Now please resume your search for OBL ;) Nick is offering to assist.

hiss srq
2011-05-06, 06:12 PM
The 3 series is a great car. It's overall reliability is pretty good. It's got a lot of kick. As of 2008 the city gas milage was a little crappy but when you open her up on Ocean Parkway she does pretty good. The biggest thing with the 3 series that I saw (328Xi Coupe black) is it has ALOT of electrical bugs.... If you don't have an nusance message something is wrong verses the other way around. Stupid little things like tail lamp fault that don't actually exist and what not. I'm looking at another BMW for NY as I am spending more time in NY again. I had one for 2 years. Absolutely loved the car but couldnt afford it in the least. Now, I am in a better place. I don't know much about the new 3 series but I will vouch that the 2008 was a gem. It has alot of comfort to it. The thing I really liked alot was the air bags in the seats. If you were taking a curve or a turn really hard it would counteract the gravity shift by inflating on the outside of the turn so you stay totally centered through the turn. Driving on dark windy roads wasnt bad either, the headlights follow the wheel imputs so you can see around the curve to an extent. The caller ID in the navi screen w speed dial settings is pretty cool . You can program the car to speed dial certain numbers off you phone. Its nice when your driving in the rain and whatnot because you can keep focus on the road. BMW is the way to go when you can afford it. I cannot wait to get back into one again when the finance is there to do it.

mirrodie
2011-05-06, 06:26 PM
Thomas, not putting words anywhere. Fact is you loved Droid, telling me all about it and switched teams.

As I said, not jumping and cockpit is same as my old and current Altima. It's all polymers anyway.

megatop412
2011-05-06, 10:55 PM
I used to want a real nice car when I was a kid, a Porsche 928 to be exact. I loved the headlights.

Then I grew up, and realized how much I hated sitting in traffic. Sitting in horrendous traffic 5 days a week robbed the 2 other days I had to really go driving of any pleasure. They're also money pits, but a necessary evil if you live anywhere other than a major city.

McG
2011-05-07, 03:04 PM
UK BMW 118 Diesel owner throwing their tuppence in. BMW, Audi and VW make the lowest emission and highest fuel economy diesel cars out there. The modern diesel engine also produces a fair amount of grunt. Audi in the past few years have won the Le Mans 24hr race with a diesel engined car. My own BMW is specced at around 60 imperial MPG average. In reality it averages around 52 MPG, and is on a par with most hybrids. A new 320D has recently been released over here that has even better MPG figures and lower emissions. My own car falls into the second lowest annual road tax bracket in the UK, approx $45 per year - although we do pay around $2.30 per litre for diesel.

The new BMW M1 is an interesting car. It's around the same size as the original M3, and weighs in at 1500kgs which is only 300kgs heavier than the original M3. Best of all it is very close performance wise to the current M3 at a good deal less price.

I would recommend a BMW to anyone. Great cars to drive.

Art at ISP
2011-05-13, 03:06 PM
First of all, the 2012 5 series is quite sweet....completely redesigned. If I am not mistaken, the 3 series gets done next year, for 2013 I think.

That said, for anyone looking at BMW, I STRONGLY recommend you look at Audi as well....I LOVE my A4-even with a 4 cyl turbo it outperforms some BMW 2.8's...and on my road trip this week (LI-PHL-Hershey-PHL-LI-BOS-LI) I averaged 33.1 mpg!! The S4 is similar but with the 3.0t V6 which is a screamer.

I saw the 2012 A6 at the auto show--waiting for that baby to come in, and it may be time for a new Audi!!

As always, if any of you would like my assistance in buying a car, I am only happy to help. My friend owns Habberstad BMW by the way, and I have connections with Nissan, Audi, Lexus and Infiniti.. of course Mario can vouch for my services :)

NIKV69
2011-05-13, 03:11 PM
That said, for anyone looking at BMW, I STRONGLY recommend you look at Audi as well....I LOVE my A4-even with a 4 cyl turbo it outperforms some BMW 2.8's...

The flat 6 is the deal breaker for me in the end which is why I will probably buy an old F250 diesel pick up or a new Lexus. For straight engines I only do the ones shaped like a V.

Art at ISP
2011-06-27, 12:51 PM
Interesting thread. So here's my 2 cents.

When I bought das Audi 2 years ago, the 3 was too small, and the 5 was outdated. The reliability issues with the 5 were related primarily to the old body style-the new one is fresh and very contemporary. I drove the new 5 last week, to compare directly to the 2010 Audi A6. I am having some issues with the A4, and the larger cars are what I wanted in the first place.

As it stands today I am probably going to purchase a 535xi before the end of the week. I will keep you posted.

Tommy, I am VERY well connected with BMW, if you decide to get a CPO 3 series please let me know. Eric Habberstad is a personal friend.

T-Bird76
2011-06-27, 02:15 PM
Interesting thread. So here's my 2 cents.

When I bought das Audi 2 years ago, the 3 was too small, and the 5 was outdated. The reliability issues with the 5 were related primarily to the old body style-the new one is fresh and very contemporary. I drove the new 5 last week, to compare directly to the 2010 Audi A6. I am having some issues with the A4, and the larger cars are what I wanted in the first place.

As it stands today I am probably going to purchase a 535xi before the end of the week. I will keep you posted.

Tommy, I am VERY well connected with BMW, if you decide to get a CPO 3 series please let me know. Eric Habberstad is a personal friend.

Will do Art, prob looking at a year out. I like to begin looking 1 year before I buy so I can make sound choice. I'm starting to get turned on to the VW CC, very nice car.

mirrodie
2011-06-27, 11:39 PM
You know, the CC is a very nice car. It shares the same lines as one of the higher end Mercedes 4 door sedans as well as the Hyundai Elantra, very sharp. But I take note of VW and reliability.

Im with tom though, CPO in the distant future.

Art at ISP
2011-06-28, 08:02 AM
Well, I will share my Audi story. As you guys can see from my previous post, I love the car. Unfortunately it does not love me. The A4 has a drive by wire throttle, and the transmission programming is such that when you are in a situation such as getting on a highway (think Rt 110 to NS east), and step on the gas, it has a 1-1.5 second lag before there is any response....which is just plain dangerous. The dealer can reprogram the transmission software, but it comes back in a few weeks.

More important, the car has an oil consumption issue, which the service department says is normal for that car, yet the Sales Manager of the dealership says it is excessive. It seems that every time I bring the car for service, they don't fix what I report, and just say no problem found or claim to fix something completely different.

At the end of the day, I don't want to be driving a car I own with an engine burning oil or a rebuilt engine. Therefore, by the weekend, I should be driving a 2011 BMW 535xi...providing the dealer where they located it will let them have it.

I was torn between this and the new A6 from Audi which is sweet, but the dealer service department and Audi in general has put me off of the brand for now.......another issue a year ago in which I had to fight with Audi of America to honor a Tech Service Bulletin on my car...so what does that portend for VW?

T-Bird76
2011-06-28, 08:58 AM
Well, I will share my Audi story. As you guys can see from my previous post, I love the car. Unfortunately it does not love me. The A4 has a drive by wire throttle, and the transmission programming is such that when you are in a situation such as getting on a highway (think Rt 110 to NS east), and step on the gas, it has a 1-1.5 second lag before there is any response....which is just plain dangerous. The dealer can reprogram the transmission software, but it comes back in a few weeks.

More important, the car has an oil consumption issue, which the service department says is normal for that car, yet the Sales Manager of the dealership says it is excessive. It seems that every time I bring the car for service, they don't fix what I report, and just say no problem found or claim to fix something completely different.

At the end of the day, I don't want to be driving a car I own with an engine burning oil or a rebuilt engine. Therefore, by the weekend, I should be driving a 2011 BMW 535xi...providing the dealer where they located it will let them have it.

I was torn between this and the new A6 from Audi which is sweet, but the dealer service department and Audi in general has put me off of the brand for now.......another issue a year ago in which I had to fight with Audi of America to honor a Tech Service Bulletin on my car...so what does that portend for VW?

See that's the only doubt about VW that I'm having, and as Mario said they have had issues in the past. There was an article I read the other day about how technology advancements in cars have been driving down reliability ratings as of late.

mirrodie
2011-06-28, 11:26 AM
And you know Tom, you didnt need a study to state the obvious. When cars become overenginneered, small problems become more complex.

Art at ISP
2011-06-28, 05:01 PM
Well, folks, it's official. I pick up my BMW Friday afternoon. Sweet deal, acceptable money for my Audi, and a lease I can live with...

Tom, I would proceed with caution on the CC based on my experience, but whatever you decide on, remember I have friends in the business and am happy to help.

Ironic how in one month, reading my old post I went from happy to disillusioned with the Audi--my wife calls me a big fickle baby when it comes to cars...she's probably right :cool::cool:

NIKV69
2011-06-28, 05:56 PM
it has a 1-1.5 second lag before there is any response....which is just plain dangerous. The dealer can reprogram the transmission software, but it comes back in a few weeks.

I get a much less delay in the Maxima but only in D mode. If you shift to manual and use the slapstick it performs the way it was designed. Which is how Nissan wanted it I guess.

Good luck with the Bimmer art I am sure you will enjoy it.

mirrodie
2011-06-28, 10:54 PM
First, Art, congrats but DO NOT SIGN ANY PAPERS unless you get the included KC-135 coffee service.

Second, when the time does come, Tom, you have to bring Art, if not for the deal, then for good fun. We had a ridiculous time.

I gotta tell you Art, I love the look of certain BMWs, Audis and MB but to be honest, the primary indicator that drives my purchase is reliability. Whenever that March/April CR comes out, I look at the curves plot in back and Honda and Toyota are typically best.

T-Bird76
2011-06-29, 10:47 AM
Toyota are typically best.

Eh...Toyota has had more recalls in the last 2 years then all of the car companies put together. I'd shy away from them. Plus their designs are bland and boring.

Art at ISP
2011-06-29, 07:43 PM
First, Art, congrats but DO NOT SIGN ANY PAPERS unless you get the included KC-135 coffee service.

Second, when the time does come, Tom, you have to bring Art, if not for the deal, then for good fun. We had a ridiculous time.

I gotta tell you Art, I love the look of certain BMWs, Audis and MB but to be honest, the primary indicator that drives my purchase is reliability. Whenever that March/April CR comes out, I look at the curves plot in back and Honda and Toyota are typically best.

Thanks Mario, working on the KC-135, will ask Moose to fly it.

Yeah we had a blast.....I do enjoy it....this one was easy though-the salesperson was one I actually trained 15 years ago, as he had started at Nissan but moved to BMW after a few months.
Also got to see my friend Erik Habberstad-been a while....Can't WAIT till Friday. Saw my color on the road this afternoon-same car without X drive--Graphite Metallic....

mirrodie
2011-06-29, 11:51 PM
Tom, of course I know of Toyota's recent recall issues. Up until Aptil 2010, despite this, their reliability ratings were better than most. I do not recall how much the graph plot changes in the 2011 issue but have a look yourself.

As for bland and boring, I'll take it over reliability. Im not driving to impress anyone and I dont spend enough time in my car to really care about it yet.

T-Bird76
2011-06-30, 11:25 AM
Tom, of course I know of Toyota's recent recall issues. Up until Aptil 2010, despite this, their reliability ratings were better than most. I do not recall how much the graph plot changes in the 2011 issue but have a look yourself.

As for bland and boring, I'll take it over reliability. Im not driving to impress anyone and I dont spend enough time in my car to really care about it yet.

Just try not to blow the steering pump.... LOLOL

Art at ISP
2011-07-04, 12:49 PM
Well, it's a done deal. There's a new 535xi in my driveway! Picked it up on Friday afternoon, and been loving it all weekend.
It appears my Audi will be at Audi of Huntington, if anyone is interested.

Time will tell, but so far this is one tight and fun car to drive!
Have a Happy and Safe 4th everyone!

mirrodie
2011-07-05, 02:27 PM
awaiting Freds videos of first refuel ;)