PDA

View Full Version : How to Pick the Best Lens For Aviation Photography - New Columnist Manny Gonzalez

NYCA News
2011-04-18, 09:20 AM
I would like to announce the first post by our new columnist, Manny Gonzalez, resident photographer expert. Manny will be writing about all sorts of topics both specific and broad, while helping all of you improve your game out there whenever possible. So please read his article and if you ever have any questions, or requests for future topics, please submit them!

NYCAviation:

How to Pick the Best Lens For Aviation Photography (http://nycaviation.com/2011/04/how-to-pick-the-best-lens-for-aviation-photography/)

No matter how good a camera body you buy, a successful day of photography at your local airport or a summer airshow greatly depends on which lens you use. Photography columnist Manny Gonzalez explains what you should look for in a lens and why.
[Click to Read Full Article (http://nycaviation.com/2011/04/how-to-pick-the-best-lens-for-aviation-photography/)]

Zee71
2011-04-18, 12:36 PM
Great article for the individual (whether you're a newbie or not) looking for the right tools for aviation photography. I too am obsessed with image quality, because it's a reflection of ones work. I want to display and produce the best possible images. For those starting out, I recommend making an investment in your gear, it will greatly reward you at the end! I've been fortunate to find some great deals online on some used lenses (but when purchasing used lenses, be careful and know what you're investing in).....we've all heard horror stories, but not everyone is bad. I purchased a fantastic piece of prime glass, 28-70mm f/2.8.....it is one of the sharpest lenses in my arsenal.

gonzalu
2011-04-18, 01:38 PM
Thanks Mark :-)

steve1840
2011-04-18, 01:41 PM
Educational and insightful as always Manny! Wouldn't have expected any less! Definitely is a great read.

NIKV69
2011-04-18, 03:03 PM
Manny touched on the most important point that I have tried to get across for years here.

I always told myself that if I did not buy the lens I really wanted up front I would end up paying more for it if I bought a cheaper alternative. In the end, you will find yourself purchasing the better optic only to have spent money on a lesser optic only to replace it in the near future.

It's so true I see spotter after spotter think they saved money by cheap glass and in 3 months after gaining some skill outgrow it. With the tools such as ebay and craigslist out there good glass is very affordable. With some patience and know how you can score used lenses in great shape for half the price Adorama charges. Long term it's much more cost effective than going cheap early on. I would heed that advice.

jerslice
2011-04-19, 12:48 AM
Absolutely true, save up and spend on the right one rather than selling yourself short.