PDA

View Full Version : Protein Shakes

PhilDernerJr
2011-04-16, 11:31 AM
As I dive back into working out after surgery recovery, I see that I'm spending more than I'd prefer for my protein shakes.

I take two shakes a day, one when I wake up and one right after my workout, and I polish off a tub in about a month.

I get them at GFC, basic chocolate protein powder, which I give myself a double serving of to give myself about 40g.

Anyone have any other recommendations? Maybe good online resources? My only requirements are that chocolate be available, that it mix easily and of course lighter on the budget from the $42 I currently spend each month.

NIKV69
2011-04-16, 01:26 PM
Double serving meaning 4 savings a day? That would be 120 a month @$42 bones? I would be hard pressed to find anywhere that would give you reputable proteing powder at that price. When I find the best deal on something like Muscle Milk which I believe a single serving shake gets 17-18 servings a tub (not the biggest) but I am just above your figure of $42.monthly with two a day. Again to find a good brand that gives you double shakes twice a day for $42 will not be easy. That is a good price.

PhilDernerJr
2011-04-16, 07:56 PM
Tub says it has 73 servings. It's the average "large" size tub. $42 isn't a bad price, I just know that GNC tends to be a bit overpriced.

NIKV69
2011-04-16, 08:25 PM
You double up for one shake so that is 35 a tub but you consume two shakes a day too right? GNC is fine they always sell closeouts for mad cheap prices and they are perfectly fine datewise I score a sick deal on Muscle milk the other day just have to keep eye out.

RomNYC
2011-04-17, 12:55 AM
What are you guys' work out routines? Do you just do weights, or sports in general?

I am in the process of getting back in shape, and eventually gain some weight/muscle (I'm 6'5 for 170 lbs). Any recommendation work out wise, and protein/diet wise would be appreciated (I know the web is FULL of these infos but I'd like to hear from "real" people). Thanks.

PhilDernerJr
2011-04-17, 10:16 PM
I lift weights and play hockey. My post-surgery self is finally ready to start lifting heavier, so I'm excited to put some weight back on. But this is countered by the hockey, which makes its tough to make muscle gains with a high-cardio, carb-burning game. But both are fun all the same.

I'm on a 4-day routine:
Day 1: Shoulders, bi's, calves, abs.
Day 2: Chest, traps, forearms, abs.
Day 3: Quads, hams, abs.
Day 4: Back, tris, calves, abs.

I do 3 exercises per muscle, 3-4 sets per exercise and a weight that gives me a rep range of about 12, 8, 6, 4 for each set respectively.

I play outdoor roller hockey once or twice a week in 3 hour pickup games around Queens. Will probably join a roller league this summer if schedule allows and then an ice team next winter.

mirrodie
2011-04-17, 11:16 PM
Phil, I jsut did an involved cost analysis not long ago after using Labrada lean Body for a while.

I ended up with....Syngex Double chocolate for protein. I used to use Pro Complex mixes very easily) but right now its syngex.

Thing is aside from Syngex, I aim for 20-30g. of protein. PC will give you 60g.

I dont recall the numbers off hand but my advice is to look at the cost per serving. So to get the real cost, I think I was dividing servings per container by price to see what was truly cheapest. Since you are looking at 40g, you have to pay careful attention to what a serving is and calculate from there, otherwise you may end up with a false 'saving'.

get my drift?

mirrodie
2011-04-17, 11:18 PM
oh, and routine:

I lift weights, no organized sports

Mo: back and bi
Tu: chest and tri.

Th: shoulder and 12-15 min HIIT cardio.

Abs I do at home whilst watching TV.

No legs in the routine. I am genetically gifted from the waist down.