PDA

View Full Version : Ed Koch Bridge ? Letters to the Editor

Speedbird1
2011-03-30, 06:14 AM
I enjoyed seeing Phil's discussion about the renaming of the Queensboro/59 St. Bridge. Ed Koch was not even a mediocre mayor; he was awful. I was a city teacher at the time and recall how he was anti-unions. Remember the MTA transit strike during his administration? I can't recall one good thing he accomplished. He is being rewarded by Bloomberg for his loyalty to him and his outrageous policies. How many millions in new signs will this cost while the city is on the brink? An example: Bloomberg wants to spend $20 million to hire new teachers while he plans on firing over 6,000 in September. Does this make sense? This is like naming DCA after Reagan who tried to bust the Air Controllers Union. I am fed-up with politicians with their nonsense. Politicians who get caught, hardly ever spend any jail-time. In fact, Charlie Rangel, a tax-cheat, was honored last night by the President in Harlem.This explains why we on this site are interested in airlines and their logos. It takes our minds off of the world's dismal state for a few hours daily. TSA Security guards and others sadly don't understand this. To them, we are all suspicious worthy of harassment.

megatop412
2011-03-30, 10:48 AM
Amen, brother

Next they'll rename the Empire State Building the "Ridge-Ashcroft Tower to protect America"

NIKV69
2011-03-30, 01:22 PM
Koch was an above average Mayor and would have been probably regarded much better if not for the corruption stuff toward the end. I could care less about unions. We don't need them anymore and they are a huge part of the reason states are in deficits. He was pro law enforcement and socially liberal. Mostly I see him as Rudy light. He did a good job but don't see the need to change the name of a huge city Landmark. IMO it will always be the 59th st bridge. Why in this climate city lawmakers are wasting time on something like this makes no sense.

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-30, 05:36 PM
Haha, I was away this weekend and didn't know my letter had been published until I got back.

Koch wasn't a bad Mayor, I just don't see what would warrnat a bridge to be named after him, especially when sign-changing costs $4 million and we're in a budget crunch. Our elected politicians should have better things to do with their time.

Gerard
2011-03-30, 08:28 PM
I could care less about unions. We don't need them anymore and they are a huge part of the reason states are in deficits.

Yeah lets blame the unions. Not inept, clueless and crooked politicians? Lord knows unions arent perfect but sad how unions and their members are being
demonized by politicians. Sounds like we are reverting back to the 1930s and the beginning of the labor movement where many actually lost their lives fighting
for a decent wage and decent working conditions.
BTW I am a 34 year union member. :smile:

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-30, 09:00 PM
I think both are equally to blame.

Speedbird1
2011-03-31, 05:29 AM
I have been a union member since 1969. In the eyes of the City's unions, Koch was not a good mayor. I have heard though that he invested funding to help repair city bridges, if true, this could explain the re-naming. The timing, in any case, couldn't be worse, as money is tight nowadays and could be better spent. Since Bloomberg is paying for the current TV ads glorifying his job as mayor out of his own pocket, maybe he could pay the $4 million for the re-naming. As a billionaire who owns one of the highest skyscrapers in town, $4 million is "just a tip"! I recall the hassle over the naming of the Verrazano Bridge back in the 60's as well. It was supposed to be simply named the Narrrows Bridge. Before becoming a spotter, my hobby was walking over city bridges. My stroll over the Golden Gate Bridge was frightening when I looked straight-down, so I switched to spotting. In the 70's and 80's, spotting was no problem. We could just walk-over by taxiways "WW" and "A" at the end of Rwy 31R at JFK and wave to pilots and do photography. PA patrol cars would pass-by and realize we were just spotting. Then came Lockerbie and the PanAm roof got fenced-off then was closed. End of an era !

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-31, 07:03 AM
My upbringing was brought to me by a union. But I just feel that these days there is so much bureacracy in unions that you need a union to protect you from your own union.

We do not have the safety issues and horrible mistreatment in the workplace that we once had. So now that unions have completed their mission from the beginning of the 20th century, they are now a part of a process that clogs up progress and good standing in our society. They do many good things still, but I feel often more harm than good to the people they are trying to "protect".

megatop412
2011-03-31, 11:07 AM
My upbringing was brought to me by a union. But I just feel that these days there is so much bureacracy in unions that you need a union to protect you from your own union.

We do not have the safety issues and horrible mistreatment in the workplace that we once had. So now that unions have completed their mission from the beginning of the 20th century, they are now a part of a process that clogs up progress and good standing in our society. They do many good things still, but I feel often more harm than good to the people they are trying to "protect".

Well said. There definitely needs to be a balanced viewpoint regarding unions, because they were responsible for improving the work culture of this country and are a big reason why we're not a nation of sweatshops. Things have definitely gotten out of hand though- there was a recent article in which someone totalled up all the tourist dollars lost from conventions that never came to Philly because anyone wanting to use the convention center has to use union labor to set up and tear down. The cost projections were into the hundreds of millions, money that could be poured directly into the local economy that sorely needs it.

When I exit my subway stop a lot of times there are several union guys standing right at the entrance handing out flyers saying not to patronize such and such restaurant because of the "cruel and unfair" practices employed by the owner in not using union contractors to build the place. So all the days they could be working they're standing there harassing people who could give two sh**s about who built the place they eat lunch at.

At my job you can't move your own things if you're changing desks because "the union has to do it". I waited for them for a week to change the location of the mouse platform from the left to the right side of my keyboard! So I just do things myself and don't tell anyone about it anymore. It's just a hassle that's totally unnecessary.

So I think there's sufficient evidence that they ain't all peaches and cream.

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-31, 12:30 PM
PArdon my ignorance, but is there a LAW that says the union has to do "x" task? I don't understnad that.

I also find it to be incredibly unfair to force a new employee to join a union. Why pay union dues if I don't want to be in it? I should have the right to choose, and unions shouldn't have that power. If they do, then non-union members in society should be able to vote for union leaders since we're so affected.

NIKV69
2011-03-31, 01:27 PM
Yeah lets blame the unions. Not inept, clueless and crooked politicians? Lord knows unions arent perfect but sad how unions and their members are being
demonized by politicians. Sounds like we are reverting back to the 1930s and the beginning of the labor movement where many actually lost their lives fighting
for a decent wage and decent working conditions.
BTW I am a 34 year union member. :smile:

I was a union member too so? What does crooked politicians have to do with states being upside down billions? Not to mention the states that are in the worst shape are from Democrats who just kept spending and upping the burden on residents and businesses like NJ and CA. It's come time for some harsh choices and that means workers are going to have pay part of their retirement and health care. Tenure and public sector unions as well some private unions like GM bear most of the blame in this mess. We don't need unions anymore. Public workers are doing fine and don't work in sweatshops anymore and make a very good salary with above average benes. We need to be right to work.

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-31, 03:08 PM
If I worked for years and someone tried to take my retirement, I'd kill whoever was responsible. That's like stealing money from my pocket. I'm not kidding or exaggerating.

NIKV69
2011-03-31, 03:26 PM
If I worked for years and someone tried to take my retirement, I'd kill whoever was responsible. That's like stealing money from my pocket. I'm not kidding or exaggerating.

I doubt it Phil, those big bears in Rilkers would really like you. Actually nobody is taking anyone's retirement. You are just going to have to pay into it more.

Gerard
2011-03-31, 07:40 PM
Not to mention the states that are in the worst shape are from Democrats who just kept spending and upping the burden on residents and businesses like NJ and CA.

LOL lets blame the Democrats also. I can see where this thread is deteriorating to. You have your opinions I have mine lets leave it at that and talk about planes. I have neither the time nor inclination to keep this going cos it will go NOWHERE!!