PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Article: Floyd Bennett Field

Bellucciman
2011-03-28, 09:46 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110328/ap_on_re_us/us_ghost_airport

moose135
2011-03-28, 10:07 AM
I spoke with the author when he joined us for the C-54 departure a couple of weeks ago. It's an interesting idea, but financially, politically, and logistically, I don't see FBF opening again.

Gerard
2011-03-28, 05:41 PM
I spoke with the author when he joined us for the C-54 departure a couple of weeks ago. It's an interesting idea, but financially, politically, and logistically, I don't see FBF opening again.

Totally agree and hope they dont. Its a great oasis for joggers, bikers, walkers etc. Tought all three of my kids how to ride a bike there and for both my boys, how to rollerblade. Nice article
but no mention of the former Air Station Brooklyn which was there for about 65 years.

NIKV69
2011-03-29, 06:29 PM
Actually it could work but much like ISP and more bureaucracy will never happen. Which is why we will be the commercial aviation delay capital of the country and go past O'Hare soon.

Tom_Turner
2011-04-03, 07:54 PM
If the regional jets are put at Floyd Bennett then ideally there would be a taxiway (world's longest?) to JFK with the monorail extended alongside - too many passengers would need the connection to other flights and this would give the airlines some flexibility as well. But probably insanely expensive and a bigger hurdle is finding the acres (equal or greater) to restore to the area to satisfy the environmental concerns. Probably doable but not without difficulty. Alternately cargo flights could be sent to Floyd Bennett - and off loaded to barges/tugs via short sea shipping to elsewhere in Brooklyn, Long Island, Bronx or NJ (wherever). Well, its an idea - you have to think out of the box to make it work.

hiss srq
2011-04-03, 08:29 PM
From an airspace perspective it would never work.... It would choke JFK departures