PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Stakes weekend

steve1840
2011-03-14, 08:00 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering what JFK/LGA traffic is like leading into the weekend of the Belmont Stakes. I am under the impression that there are alot of finanical backers and owners from the Middle East, UAE, asia, etc. I was just wondering if there is any increase in private a/c, charters, etc.

moose135
2011-03-14, 08:46 AM
I never really paid that much attention to it, although that may be because I usually end up at Pocono that weekend...but I imagine JFK/LGA wouldn't see the bulk of that traffic. TEB, SWF, even FRG would probably get the bulk of the biz jet traffic for the race.

Mateo
2011-03-16, 09:05 AM
Does the Belmont even attract all that much traffic? I know the Derby does, but I've been at BWI on Preakness weekend every year since 2004 (always same Saturday as Andrews Airshow), and there are maybe 5-7 extra bizjets. There are the 727 horse charters before and after, but that's usually 1 or 2 movements at best.

steve1840
2011-03-16, 09:09 AM
Does the Belmont even attract all that much traffic? I know the Derby does, but I've been at BWI on Preakness weekend every year since 2004 (always same Saturday as Andrews Airshow), and there are maybe 5-7 extra bizjets. There are the 727 horse charters before and after, but that's usually 1 or 2 movements at best.

Thats kinda what I was getting at. Since I didn't really get into spotting til last year, I never followed the plane movements or noticed extra traffic aroundcertain events. I was just curious as I've heard that there are alot of internation "financial backers" for these horses, and being park of the Triple Crown, I figured that it would increase the traffic at least a little.

lijk604
2011-03-16, 06:10 PM
I never really paid that much attention to it, although that may be because I usually end up at Pocono that weekend...but I imagine JFK/LGA wouldn't see the bulk of that traffic. TEB, SWF, even FRG would probably get the bulk of the biz jet traffic for the race.

It all depends on if there is a chance of a Triple Crown winner. The last few years that the same horse won the Derby & Preakness, Atlantic @ FRG was swamped with aircraft. A typical June Saturday would have maybe 1 or 2 aircraft there, those weekends there were 15-20 jets scattered about. On the flip side, if there is no chance of a Triple Crown winner, you may get 4 or 5 extra but that's it.

Gerard
2011-03-16, 06:51 PM
It all depends on if there is a chance of a Triple Crown winner. The last few years that the same horse won the Derby & Preakness, Atlantic @ FRG was swamped with aircraft. A typical June Saturday would have maybe 1 or 2 aircraft there, those weekends there were 15-20 jets scattered about. On the flip side, if there is no chance of a Triple Crown winner, you may get 4 or 5 extra but that's it.

And I believe they use the helipad there http://www.airnav.com/airport/4NY9 at Belmont for heavy hitters along with PD/EMS ships.

Mateo
2011-03-16, 08:01 PM
Ah, that makes sense re: Triple Crown. The Preakness is in the middle, so it never really gets the chance to build up interest.