PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials Anyone?

gonzalu
2011-03-11, 12:19 AM
I was thinking about doing live tutorial sessions using web sharing programs... I love and use Team Viewer we can use that way everyone is welcome to join via their computers. We can have as many as you like if it becomes popular.

First up, LIGHTROOM. Then maybe we can do Sharpening? Post Processing? Workflow?

If interested, please vote above :-)

mattdueck
2011-03-11, 12:26 AM
Excellent idea Manny. 2 Thumbs up from me.

Zee71
2011-03-11, 12:50 AM
The more knowledge the better!

RomNYC
2011-03-11, 01:08 AM
I support the idea 100%! But can we make it veeeery basic for some of us? :redface:

steve1840
2011-03-11, 08:48 AM
I think I've been bothering Manny too much for PS help. LOL :tongue:

In all seriousness, I think its a great idea! I am definitely onboard.

Derf
2011-03-11, 08:59 AM
Can it be recorded with a screen capture program for those who can not attend or want to look at it over again? Showing someone once is not really useful as you will be going over too many steps and I think an archive would be great. I think this idea is awesome! +1

gonzalu
2011-03-11, 08:59 AM
OK, thanks guys... I think so too. I have never done this via TeamViewer so let's see if it works. I use TeamViewer all the time for remote control and support etc. but never for presentations.

Should we pick a time and date for the first one and see how it goes?

BTW, if you sign up on the TeamViewer site, you can log in and use the web client, no client install needed at all (so they say) otherwise you will need the basic client.

http://www.teamviewer.com/

gonzalu
2011-03-11, 09:01 AM
Can it be recorded with a screen capture program for those who can not attend or want to look at it over again? Showing someone once is not really useful as you will be going over too many steps and I think an archive would be great. I think this idea is awesome! +1

Fred, I think so... I was thinking of doing some YouTube videos using Camtasia (the best) but I figured let me start off this way. I think TeamViewer has a built in recording feature.

Greg_NY
2011-03-11, 12:05 PM
If interested, please vote above :-)

I would definitely be interested. Thanks for offerring.

Isaac

gonzalu
2011-03-11, 10:29 PM
OK, great... I will do some trial runs and see if TeamViewer works. Also record the session for later review. No sound will be offered on the first trial and / or interactivity. That will come later as I improve the whole idea. There is also a plan to provide a whole section on Photography as it relates to Aviation etc.

Thanks all for the interest. I will do a few runs late in the evening hours Eastern Time just because of logistics at home right now. Let's shoot for the first one tonight around 10:00pm

Here are the details:

Using TeamViewer Client (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQJ_en.exe) or Web Access use the partner ID: 476 570 094
Passcode is : 2225

If you experience any trouble, please report it here. If I somehow have trouble on my end, I will report here on this thread.

There will be a slight delay after people start to join to give time to late arrivals. So tonight it is a test run to see how goes it :tongue:

What's being covered in this test run?

-I will ingest images from today's shoot into Lightroom
-Do a preliminary cull of the images
-Some light keywording
-IPTC coding of a few images
-Select one or two images and edit them via my workflow
-Output to web as I would for Airliners.net or JetPhotos.net

Keep in mind my workflow is just one of MANY MANY ways ou can approach this. You must find one that works for you. The hope is to give someone just starting out with either Lightroom or Photoshop to get an idea they can start from. Or develop further from where you/they are today.

gonzalu
2011-03-11, 10:59 PM
Here is the QuickJoin (http://www.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQJ_en.exe) Client for the presentations... not sure if it was obvious from the above link :-(

gonzalu
2011-03-11, 11:06 PM
We have Mark with a broken foot on the session so far :-) Any more takers? I know it's late on a Friday. This is a trial run so it would be nice to see if this time slot is good or not.

RomNYC
2011-03-12, 12:46 AM
Trying now, don't know if you're still around.

RomNYC
2011-03-12, 12:52 AM
Presentation was over, but as you were still around, I can confirm this works perfectly. Even on my Macbook running Parallels. Can't wait for the recording :)

v1rotate
2011-03-12, 01:06 AM
This is an awesome idea. It would be even better if you could upload to youtube as some people have mentioned before.

gonzalu
2011-03-12, 01:20 AM
I will... but not sure of quality :-(

Session went fairly well I think. I have to start recording AUDIO ... typing is a PITA...

Video is being produced now... having trouble downsizing from 2560x1600 to 1920x1080 UGH...

64 minutes total

P.S. Looks like the trans-coding is going to take longer than I thought... only 24% done ... so, it will likely be tomorrow boys and goils!

gonzalu
2011-03-12, 02:17 PM
While the recording is being processed by YouTube, I will link to it so it is ready when they finish...

The quality is really poor as I recorded it in full screen as I was doing the demo in TeamViewer. I will record it in a lower reso in the future hopefully matching the output and give me better results. Camtasia is great but still has lots of hardware / software limitations in HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AdZReR3GY4

gonzalu
2011-03-12, 05:43 PM
I am working on an updated version of last night's live tutorial in an effort to get higher quality output. ... it will be in 1080p

ANITIX87
2011-03-12, 05:49 PM
No volume for me...

TIS

ANITIX87
2011-03-12, 05:51 PM
Actually, now that I've checked, none of your YouTube video tutorials have volume...but other YouTube videos work fine for me.

TIS

NIKV69
2011-03-12, 06:48 PM
Thanks again Manny! Enjoyed it I prefer to the live version to taped because you can converse and ask questions.

wunaladreamin
2011-03-12, 07:06 PM
Nicely done Manny!

gonzalu
2011-03-12, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys... I promise this will improve.

Antonis, that's because NONE of my videos have sound :-( I have not yet gotten the guts to put my voice on them :-)
Soon, soon! :biggrin:

EDIT:
OK just finished the narration on the re-do... it is compressing now. Then, upload and waiting for YouTube to do its own trans-coding!

gonzalu
2011-03-13, 01:53 AM
OK I recreated the tut from scratch and added narration. 1080p (FINALLY) for better detail :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enDauQua1Eo