PDA

View Full Version : European planning a trip to NYC - What to expect

Andreas
2011-03-10, 03:37 AM
I'm planning a trip to NYC by the end of this month. What traffic can I expect during the weekends, and which airport(s) would you recommend going to the most? My main interests are wide bodies and airliners/aircraft not often seen in Europe..

adscram14
2011-03-10, 07:22 AM
Hey Andreas!
Welcome to the fourms and I hope you enjoy your trip to the States. Anyway, your best bet is JFK, you'll see (And the guys that live in NY will give you the times) a crazy number of American, European, and Asian traffic. Depending on what runways they're using, you'll have to go to the spots mentioned on the planespotting map on the site. I would avoid EWR as I've heard nothing good about spotting there. LGA is going to be about 90% RJs and small mainline, with a few 757s and maybe a 767 occasionally as their runways are only 7000 and 7001 feet a pop. You can always check http://flightaware.com for what is coming in, and http://liveatc.net for live air traffic.
Enjoy your trip!

gonzalu
2011-03-10, 09:28 AM
Wides not seen in Europe? Good luck with that here :-)

If NYC is where you will only be, then JFK is your best bet. Weekends are best for surprise visitors but that is not to say they don't come in on weekdays. It is hard to give you a picture but I will say this, JFK NEVER DISAPPOINTS! When it comes to the weather and runway splits, the CAPTURE of those planes will be your trouble. If they are on a standard preferred pattern of 31R/L you will be greatly rewarded.

Second preference is the 22s and Howard Beach. For departures from 31L, the beach is a terrific spot. Good pretty much all day for photography. The 22's can be troublesome for you as you must shoot from Woodmere park in the morning until about 1pm and then move to The Mounds later in the day.

Don't worry, we'll hold your hand when you're around. And memorize the guide!

http://nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/jfk/

steve1840
2011-03-10, 09:43 AM
Manny has made some good points. JFK definitely does not dissapoint. As for special and surprise visitors, on my first trip to JFK a month or so ago, I was rewarded with about 10 or 12 special liveries/schemes. Hopefully your trip here can be equally as rewarding. If you need some tour guides don't hesitate to ask. I don't want to speak for everyone here, but I'm sure there are a few of us (myself included) that would be more than happy to show you the spots. Granted I'm still learning a few of them myself, but I'm always looking for any excuse to drag my a@@ down to JFK again.

Zee71
2011-03-10, 10:05 AM
Hi Andreas.....

Welcome to the NYC Aviation forum. As Adam and others mention JFK is the preferred choice. I reside not far from JFK, and it's always as plearsure looking up. I have not spotted at EWR (Newark Liberty), and I could care less based on what I've read about spotting there. LGA offers a great view from Planeview Park when they're using RWY 4 for arrivals (the light there is good during the morning hours). LGA has mostly domestic arrivals, but from time to time may have an unexpected visitor. I'm sure you'll bump into a bunch of us at JFK when you arrive. Happy spotting!

Andreas
2011-03-10, 01:52 PM
Thanks all! I already had JFK in mind and this will probably become my main target for the weekend. Will keep you posted with the results!

steve1840
2011-03-10, 02:00 PM
Great! I hope the weather is good when you get here! Are you thinking the last weekend of the month? Or first weekend of April? I can usually come down on any given weekend provided I have some notice so that I don't make other plans.

RomNYC
2011-03-11, 01:07 AM
Welcome Andy, from another European living in NY!

The other guys summed it up already, but I will stress Mark's point about going to Plainview Park for LGA's 4 arrivals. Always a great way to spend a day out!

NLovis
2011-03-11, 01:39 AM
Welcome Andreas. Pretty much its all summed up already. EWR is 95% CO which is now UAL. If your looking for the smaller domestic CO aircraft before they get repainted then EWR would be a choice. Some of our companies are currently phasing out aircraft if you are looking for things you wont see aside from special visitors. Currently all CO aircraft are being repainted with the new UA/CO livery and AA is phasing out the MD-82/83 aircraft. If you want to see AA MD-80's then LGA would be the best chance of seeing them. As far as specials go JFK doesnt disappoint although some days are slower then others. I would personally try a Fri morning to catch the Finnair cargo MD-11 which i personally have yet to obtain (which wont happen for another week sadly with bad weather over here currently.) Welcome to the site and maby ill see you out and about.

wunaladreamin
2011-03-11, 09:50 PM
...and the best day to go variety wise is Sunday.

gonzalu
2011-03-11, 10:23 PM
...also the one standout major carrier at EWR not at JFK is SAS. And I am no expert :-)

NLovis
2011-03-12, 01:13 AM
...also the one standout major carrier at EWR not at JFK is SAS. And I am no expert :-)
And If I remember correctly from being ther for a few days TAP also flies into EWR as well as a DAL DC-9-50

Mateo
2011-03-12, 02:02 AM
EWR also has Air Canada 170s and AC Jazz CRJs.

[EDIT: And the Singapore 345, which may be worth the trip for some people. Arrival daily around 1700L]

[Another EDIT: Also Porter Q400s and Open Skies]