PDA

View Full Version : Bob Probert's Brain

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-03, 03:32 PM
Found this article, an interesting read....

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/03/bob-probert-discovered-to-have-degenerative-brain-disease/related

This bothers me a lot, because it sounds like there's a chance they may use this as an excuse to crack down on fighting in hockey.

First, I'm a big Probert fan. He was the other half of the Bruise Brothers, also comprised of my all-time favorite player Joe Kocur.

I don't mean to offend Probert's legacy, but with this brain issue being pressed, it should be mentioned that Probert spent many many years struggling with alcohol and drug abuse. Hockey shouldn't be made to be the scapegoat.

Maybe it will lead to better helmets? Probably a good thing. I just don't want to see any more emasculation going on in the NHL than we have already seen...one example being the league's protection of the first woman in the pro's....Sandy Crosby. (though I admit it's improved the last year or two).

End rant.

wunaladreamin
2011-03-03, 04:52 PM
Ah Probie, may he rest in peace. It wasn't officially a Probert fight until he punched the helmet off of someone's head. And I still get a boner thinking of what a Probert/Chara would look like. You do bring up a good point Phil. How would the brain analysis have turned out minus the coke and booze? I don't think a different helmet would change things much. I love fighting and hard hitting in the game, but there's also a way to go about it. The elbows up, blind side crap has to slow down, but at the same time the league and the refs have to let the boys play without fearing a bull**** interference call every time somebody falls down.

And Crosby is a cancer in it's truest form to the game. Look at Ovie. Just as much skill with none of the menstruation.

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-03, 05:21 PM
Yes, and I don't mean to rip on the guy, I'm sure he would agree as well.

All I've seen for the past 2 decades are games turning into European figure skating and soccer-like injury faking. I wanna see some good, open-ice hits. And you know what...the sneaky cheap shots happen because you go to the box when you cleanly lay out a guy.

Look at Ovie. Just as much skill with none of the menstruation.

You had me at menstruate.

wunaladreamin
2011-03-06, 10:44 AM
Watching Hockey Night Live this morning, this very subject came up, and while they didn't make mention of Probert's battles with substance abuse, they did bring up some very good points. One was shoulder pads. Back in the day, the pads weren't as big and not as rigid at the cap, and while you'd see more separated shoulders and such, the head injuries weren't as frequent. Also, in the days of optional/no helmets, there was a different respect in the game. Guys wouldn't go head hunting on each other and keep the elbows and sticks down as they were all more vulnerable to serious injury. Does something more need to be done to curtail such injuries? Perhaps. Are we going about it the right way? I'm not so sure.

On a side note, Reebok is designing a new helmet for Sid the Kid. They are replacing all the foam rubber with tampons.

sporky
2011-03-11, 01:31 PM
On a side note, Reebok is designing a new helmet for Sid the Kid. They are replacing all the foam rubber with tampons.

Super-absorbant???

-Tad

PhilDernerJr
2011-03-12, 02:25 PM
With the way hockey's been getting lately, we can probably expect more of this...

SZOu5zpz9Zw

...although I guess we expect that from the Islanders.

(can't lie, that's pretty funny though, and I once kissed a dude on the other team on his face shield during a game.)

wunaladreamin
2011-03-12, 04:03 PM
Phil, they have the classic Rangers game on MSG right now which features the first Probert v. Domi. LOL