PDA

View Full Version : KC-X Selction Expected Thursday (2/24/11)

moose135
2011-02-22, 07:09 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2011/02/air-force-tanker-word-expected-thursday.html

The Air Force is to announce its choice for a $35 billion contract to build 179 flying tankers at a Pentagon press conference at 2 p.m. Pacific time this Thursday, Feb. 24. That’s the word from George Behan, veteran spokesman for Rep. Norm Dicks (D-Wash.), former chairman of the appropriations subcommittee on defense.

Behan said he expects Air Force officials will make some quick courtesy calls to political figures like Dicks who have been actively lobbying on the tanker contract, just prior to the press conference. He said he has had several confirmations of the Thursday date from within the Pentagon, which would place the announcement a day earlier than the Friday date some had expected.I'm well past trying to figure out how this is going to end up. I suspect this isn't the the last of it, though.

lijk604
2011-02-22, 11:39 PM
You know the loser of the bid will sue. Heck at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see the bid winner sue. :cool:

moose135
2011-02-24, 06:25 PM
It's Boeing!!!

It will be the KC-46A. Results just announced by SECAF Michael Donley. Both offers met all 372 requirements, however the price difference was greater than 1%, so none of the "extras" were taken into consideration.

threeholerglory
2011-02-24, 07:49 PM
Behan said he expects Air Force officials will make some quick courtesy calls to political figures like Dicks who have been actively lobbying on the tanker contract, just prior to the press conference.

I find this line humorous....giggity.

cancidas
2011-02-24, 07:58 PM
It's Boeing!!!

about time!! took long enough, glad to see the 767 will remain in production for some time to come!

moose135
2011-02-24, 08:48 PM
All this makes me wonder - if John McCain didn't jump all over the original tanker lease deal 10 years ago, where would we be? Not to excuse any illegal activities involved, and yes, maybe the USAF would have paid more than they should have for them, but they would be flying today, and how many millions would have been saved by the government, Boeing, and EADS by not having to go through several rounds of the procurement process?

cancidas
2011-02-24, 10:33 PM
now this one is going to have a main deck cargo door and is going to be able to carry palletized cargo, right? i really hope it's not like the A330s that the RAF are buying that can't.

moose135
2011-02-24, 10:36 PM
I don't recall the specs offhand, Matt, but I'm all but certain it will have a cargo door. The -135s and -10s have one, I assume it was included in the RFP.

cancidas
2011-02-25, 11:53 AM
i wonder if this will help with certification of winglets on civilian 767-200s...