PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Surgery :D

heeshung
2011-02-22, 12:20 AM
2AM. I'm walking out of my friend's place towards my own. It's snowing. I hit a patch of ice that I did not see because of the snow. I slip. The next thing I know, excruciating pain is shooting up from my ankle. I scream out in pain, laying on my side. A couple people heard me, and helped me back to my place. At this point, my ankle looks like someone shoved a baseball into it.

My friend says it looked like a sprain, and I decide to sleep on it; a couple hours wouldn't hurt. I went to the hospital this morning, and the diagnosis came: 2 broken bones, and I need to have surgery done (they have to put screws in).
I've never broken any bones. The surgery has not been done yet, and I'm on hydrocodone. This stuff is powerful.

Matt Molnar
2011-02-22, 03:14 AM
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

Did something similar a while back playing hockey....broke my fibula and tore all the tendons and ligaments in my ankle. Had to have screws installed to hold it all together, then had another surgery to remove the screws once it healed.

Good luck!

Zee71
2011-02-22, 07:54 AM
Ouch........sorry to hear about your mishap Mark. Hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery.

gonzalu
2011-02-22, 09:02 AM
Darn Mark, sorry to hear! That sure is gonna be a PITA ... we take for granted getting up everyday and zipping around without giving much thought about it. Now you will have to think twice before going to the fridge for water :frown:

Here is to quick and good recovery.

Look at that, no spotting jokes, I am so proud of myself. :cool:

lijk604
2011-02-22, 09:55 AM
Oh, sorry to hear Mark. Hope all goes well and you are back out shooting soon.

MarkLawrence
2011-02-22, 10:39 AM
Ouch!! Good luck with the surgery!!!

Derf
2011-02-22, 11:23 AM
very sorry to hear about your ankle. I had a sprain a few years ago and it was not fun at all! I wish you the best and baby it for a long time. Just be careful with the pain meds... it makes you push on the Ankle too much....baby it more when on the meds and do not do any more damage! Take care of yourself and please keep us informed.

Spunker
2011-02-22, 11:33 AM
OUCH! Good luck with it Mark. I think there might be some lessons forthcoming on how to spot and shoot while balancing on crutches.

PhilDernerJr
2011-02-22, 12:35 PM
Very sorry to hear Mark! Follow doctor's orders and recover strongly! I've got my own recent prescription for hydrocodone and yes, strong stuff.

Bounce back soon man!

Roush6NY
2011-02-22, 01:37 PM
Wish you a fast recovery Mark

moose135
2011-02-22, 02:29 PM
Hope everything turns out well, Mark!

NLovis
2011-02-22, 03:24 PM
Ouch. My only problem my entire life luckally has been my messed up knee. Ive smashed this thing in bike accidents, scooter (non motor) and always just put pressure on it whe i ran since i always kick off with my right foot. Caught up to me 4 years ago right after the summer ended when my knee just gave out on me. Only needed rehab and I dont need a brace or anything but this knee gives me problems when it feels like it. It isnt very cool to say the least. Hope you heal quickly man. These things arent fun.

heeshung
2011-02-22, 06:29 PM
Wow, I want to say thanks to every single one of you guys for the overwhelming response.

I fractured both my tibia and fibula, as my CT scan shows.

http://horriblephotography.com/albums/ankle/ankle1.jpg

http://horriblephotography.com/albums/ankle/ankle2.jpg

http://horriblephotography.com/albums/ankle/ankle3.jpg

http://horriblephotography.com/albums/ankle/ankle4.jpg

Gerard
2011-02-22, 06:48 PM
Wow, I want to say thanks to every single one of you guys for the overwhelming response.
I fractured both my tibia and fibula, as my CT scan shows."] ("http://horriblephotography.com/albums/ankle/ankle4.jpg[/img)

Wow X-ray spotting!! Cant get that camera out of your hand huh? :biggrin:
Feel better, the good weather is on the way. And yeah, careful with the meds.......
BTW I've heard of or know lots of people who were injured by falls on ice this lousy winter. Hell I slipped more than a few times myself.

wunaladreamin
2011-02-22, 08:16 PM
Jesus Mark, that sucks. Hope you heal up quickly!

emshighway
2011-02-22, 08:40 PM
Yep, that's going to need a few screws if not a plate or two. Well, you will be setting off the walkthrough metal detectors at the airports from now on.

A speedy recovery and be careful with the meds.

RomNYC
2011-02-22, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear that... Get well Mark. You must be a tough one to be able to sleep on 2 broken bones!

sporky
2011-02-22, 09:08 PM
Damn I know what you are going through. Day after my 21st birthday, yes still semi-drunk, hopped over a slush puddle and hit a patch of black ice which I slipped on and fell breaking my ankle right near the joint and damaging a few tendons as well. Stupid thing I did though was walk about 1/2 mile home, up 3 flights of stairs and then decided to go to the hospital which was down 3 flights of stairs and 1/4 mile walk to a friends car.

The doctor I saw the next day really wanted to do surgery, small town and probably nothing better to do, so since I was in college decided to take the quarter off (which had just started) and have the surgery at home in Seattle. Well the doctor there didn't think surgery was needed and just casted me up. 14 years ago last month since the accident and all is well, though recently been spraining that every couple weeks or so.

Best of luck on the surgery Mark! And recover quickly, don't want ya to miss out on spring weather too much! :cool:

-Tad

emshighway
2011-02-22, 11:10 PM
As a kid I jumped over a honda civic (playing football in the street) not realizing there was a tree stump on the other side. Sprained my left ankle then ask I rolled over to stand up I sprained it again. That foot is still a little crooked.

Oh and I did catch the ball... :wink:

mirrodie
2011-02-23, 12:13 AM
First, Ken it seems like ages since I've seen you post! WElcome back. where you been?

Mark, OUCH! I wish you a speedy recovery. I've used to sprain my ankle almost weekly, to the point that I would be walking them off in a day. But the break? Ouch!

Ps I wiped out on the ice last week twice. I wiped out and, it was pretty damn funny: My legs gave out from under me completely and so I landed squarely on my shoulder! hurt but the shoulder meat took the brunt of it! So one sec I was vertical and in a second later I was horizontal.

just pause and picture it.

and enojy the laugh at my expense.

Fell better!!

NIKV69
2011-02-23, 01:35 AM
Yikes! Get better soon Mark!

megatop412
2011-02-23, 03:33 PM
Damn dude sorry about your luck, here's to a speedy recovery

heeshung
2011-02-25, 10:55 PM
Alright, guys. I have a trimalleolar fracture, and basically have a bunch of pieces of bone floating around randomly. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday. They're gonna put in 3-4 screws and a metal plate.

Really appreciate all the support; you guys are the best. :D

Hope to be out there with the planes again ASAP! :cool:

Derf
2011-02-25, 11:04 PM
Wow, what town do you live? How long is the expected recovery? Will you have to stay completely off of it for some time? I am very sorry to hear that this is that big a deal. It is one thing to just sprain or break it but REALLY? Did you have to go that far?

I wish you well on Tues and hope you have a speedy recovery.

heeshung
2011-02-25, 11:11 PM
This happened at school, near Albany. It'll be non weight-bearing for 4-6 weeks, and then I'll need physical therapy afterwards. And it definitely has to be a serious injury, as I was engaging in the strenuous, EXTREME and BADASS sport called walking.

Derf
2011-02-25, 11:45 PM
I wished you were more local. I hope you have Netflix!

Zee71
2011-02-26, 09:06 AM
Mark...........I hope they can give you some spotting juice to speed up your recovery, especially with your trip to LAX next month (which I hope it hasn't impacted). Stay safe and be careful.

lijk604
2011-02-26, 10:54 AM
Gentlemen, this guy need spotting photos STAT! Or would that make it worse?
Seriously, Mark, wish you the best and hoping you'll recover quickly. 6 weeks is only early April, so you'll be getting back at a much warmer time of year at least.