PDA

View Full Version : 13L spotting question

steve1840
2011-02-17, 04:05 PM
I'm sure this is probably mentioned in more than one thread on here, but to save myself the time to search (can't spend too much time surfing here at work), I figured I would ask. Since there is no official location mentioned in the spotting guide, where do you guys get your shots of the 13L approaches from. I saw some good shots from last weekend (2/13) posted by Manny and others and was wondering where you guys were spotting from to get them. They look as though they are inside of airport property. Would be great to find out these locations for the next time I come down in case they switch to the 13s.

Thanks

eric8669
2011-02-17, 04:19 PM
I'm sure this is probably mentioned in more than one thread on here, but to save myself the time to search (can't spend too much time surfing here at work), I figured I would ask. Since there is no official location mentioned in the spotting guide, where do you guys get your shots of the 13L approaches from. I saw some good shots from last weekend (2/13) posted by Manny and others and was wondering where you guys were spotting from to get them. They look as though they are inside of airport property. Would be great to find out these locations for the next time I come down in case they switch to the 13s.

Thanks

These locations are not "official" and that is why they are not located on the spotting guide.

megatop412
2011-02-17, 05:04 PM
I've always noticed no one mentions this. I always figured it was a spot no one wants a bunch of us showing up at at the same time. So I've pretty much given up trying to figure it out. I think it's in the terminal somewhere, somwhere before you would have to enter security obviously. I tried using a ruler on a map given the line of sight the perspective shows, but I can't be sure.

Thing is, people have already shot the hell out of this location such that seeing photos taken from this spot, especially of the usual suspects landing on it, no longer have the same punch they once did. To me, anyway. I'm glad people are still having fun there but I need to start spotting at LGA anyway- never been to Plainview actually.

steve1840
2011-02-17, 08:07 PM
I see your point megatop. I will attempt to figure it out next time I come down if they're using the 13s, as I have to get at least one shot of a widebody banking in on the final turn to line up for 13L. Oh well, no biggie.

wunaladreamin
2011-02-17, 08:21 PM
Be VERY wary of cargo plaza. We are not welcome there anymore. The last time I was there, I was boxed in by 5 PAPD rmp's.

Steven Holzinger
2011-02-17, 08:32 PM
Wasn't there another spot that was a bit further away? I remember visiting one many years ago...

chrisparypa
2011-02-17, 08:43 PM
There is couple locations to catch 13L traffic, unfortunately nothing what you can compare to the cargo plaza and Kenny is right we are not welcome there....

Anyway... anyone can tell me what time A380 Latehansa is scheduled to arrive on 28th ?? Hope the weather will be good cuz Im planning to take some pictures :) sorry for OT... someone could start the topic about it :P

PhilDernerJr
2011-02-17, 10:41 PM
There are certain locations that we shouldn't discuss publicly, and we even have a rule pertaining to some of them. But you're welcome to ask people respectfully in private.

727C47
2011-02-17, 11:21 PM
my grandma's backyard on 124th street in south ozone park was favorite place to spot for 13L.

gonzalu
2011-02-18, 01:40 AM
Guys,

There are grassy areas near N. Conduit and Lefferts BLVD overpass that are good for 13L approaches. ILS are best in afternoon and Visuals may be head on (back lit) shots or mornings after they pass your position and turn for the RWY.

http://goo.gl/maps/lrKb

steve1840
2011-02-18, 08:23 AM
There are certain locations that we shouldn't discuss publicly, and we even have a rule pertaining to some of them. But you're welcome to ask people respectfully in private.

My appologies Phil. I had forgotten that this question probably shouldn't have been asked out in the open forum.

Thank you to those who have sent me PMs about some locations. You have all been very helpful.