PDA

View Full Version : How far from HoBe to 31L

gonzalu
2011-02-05, 01:18 AM
Some people have asked me how much lens you need at HoBe or how far is it... here is an idea of how far it really is...

The A380 is about 1DME from the stripes. This is at 400mm on a full frame sensor shot from HoBe looking southeast towards the KK / Juliet intersection of 31L and 4L/R

http://manny.smugmug.com/photos/1177863062_EZTtT-O.jpg

and an actual size crop!!

http://manny.smugmug.com/photos/1177863055_H6Ggw-O.jpg

obviously this is extreme, but helps with perspective views. Departures are not that bad but, depending on how far they roll, the plane can be a bit far west/north-west of your position on the Parking Lot.

Zee71
2011-02-05, 07:16 PM
Yes.....the distance from HoBe to 13R-31L is very deceiving. Sometimes I find it best to walk about 1/4 or so on the bridge to get a little closer, but this may better only during the summer months when they need more runway. Otherwise during the winter season the only time you might want to be situtated on the bridge is when China Eastern or South African takeoff, because they use most of the runway, and then fly the runway heading more or less before they gradually start their banks.

megatop412
2011-02-05, 10:34 PM
Gentlemen,

what we need here.....is a boat. Sam Chui uses airplanes.....how has one of us not begun using a boat for 13R/31L? Not an expensive one, just a little hoopty boat with an outboard and hull-welded tripod should do the trick.

gonzalu
2011-02-07, 01:32 AM
Don't think I have not thought about it :-) Back in the day, there was someone featured on CNN who used a small boat to get to one of the little islands and shoot the Concorde... can;t remember now when I saw that...

ANITIX87
2011-02-07, 02:10 PM
hull-welded tripod
A hull-welded tri-pod would move with the boat. Not useful at all. I'd be inclined to shoot hand-held and keep my knees nice and soft. The motion of a still boat is, theoretically, slow enough to prevent much camera shake if you have a stable base and take 3-shot bursts in continuous mode.

TIS

gonzalu
2011-02-07, 06:07 PM
At 11fps, one of them has to be sharp :tongue:

Actually, the VR (Vibration Reduction) on Nikon Lenses has an active mode for situations where you need to compensate for motion in two axes, such as when on a moving platform, like a boat ... tested it once from a floating dock, remarkably it works well!

threeholerglory
2011-02-07, 06:55 PM
would a couple 100' retractable outriggers with quad-automatic anchors stabilize that boat?

Zee71
2011-02-08, 06:55 PM
Heck with a boat............build a bridge from HoBe to Bayswater Park (it doesn't even have to be for cars............just a people bridge). I'd probably get to Bayswater quicker walking than driving!