PDA

View Full Version : First JFK trip 2/5

steve1840
2011-01-29, 09:38 AM
Hey guys,

I was going to wait til the begining of the week to post this thread, but I have been going through some of the posts this morning and have been getting anxious. I am planning on making my first trip down to JFK from eastern CT to do some spotting all day next Saturday. I plan on making the circuit to all the different locations (depending on the traffic pattern). Being my first trip down, I could definitely use a "tour guide" so to speak.

I plan to arrive around 7:30 -8:00 to get myself situated as the light starts to get good. Depending on the traffic pattern I will most likely be starting out at HoBe to catch some morning heavy departures. I'll probably stay there til about 10:00 or so and then head over to catch arrivals.

It would definitely be great to catch some of you guys out there.

gonzalu
2011-01-29, 01:03 PM
Steve, if you spot me, I will be the one with the Silver SUV, NY Amateur Radio plates... will likely be over near the Port-o-Potty side of the lot. But not sure yet if I will be out or not as I can't decide until thur/fri (or even that very morning) sometimes :-)

steve1840
2011-01-29, 03:38 PM
I'll look for you Manny. I'll be the guy in a green 4-door pickup with CT plates and a push bar on the front. I won't make my decision til most likely friday night anyway (maybe even that morning as well). I will constantly be checking the weather this whole week.

Just a quick question as far as HoBe goes. I was watching the JFK air traffic on passuer.com (i thikn that was it) this morning and they were using what appeared to be 22L for arrivals and 22R and 31L for departures. Is it normal for them to use two diffrent runways for departures on a saturday morning? I know you've said before that the wind dictates which runways get used.

gonzalu
2011-01-29, 05:38 PM
If winds are CALM... ATC and the Port can do anything. The PORT actually controls the runways believe it or not, with the help of ATC but they manage the runways. ATC and FAA usually manage the traffic itself. I may be wrong and real OFFICIAL info will be give here by those who are in the know :-) This is what I know from what I hear ATC tell the pilots.

Also, wind calm is the worst for spotters in terms of consistency. They can use pretty much any pattern. If all runways are clean and no problems arise, JFK loves 31L/R the most as it reduces the traffic over people's homes to most. This will remain in place until late afternoon when the port wants to do inspections of the 31s and JFK will switch over to the 22s. Takeoffs over water are great. Landings are best over populated areas as it is less noisy.

Now, splits. Splits are horrible for spotting as you really can;t predict what will happen. YOu can make reasonable assumptions but I can tell you, I have been caught out there... namely with the Emirates A380 which "should have come on 22L one day and got cleared on 13L.

Anyway, the usual trick is planes from the south and the west come in on 31L and from north and east and europe etc. on 31R. If the runways are split between 22/31, they will usually land all planes on 22L and use 31L from Kilo Kilo and 22R for departures.

If the split is 4/31 all landings on 4R and 4L/31L KK for departures. Again the rules are usually all domestic and south / west departures, out of the 31s and all eastern and European departures on 4L

Split on 13/22 means they will land 13L and 22L and take off 13R

That is my experience. I have witnessed a rare morning switch to 31L departures which was so rare, all pilots were asking twice if they heard correctly. and of course those times where there is FOD on one rwy and they shut it for cleanup and then all ops are on one RWY ... this is especially bad on 22s in the afternoon as the sun crosses over the 4s if they close 22L, all planes will land on 22R which is bad for the Mounds... etc. etc.

Best is to just listen to ATC. I turn it on as soon as enter my car and listen to it until I am within rage of my scanner. I will then switch to it since it is the ONLY REAL source... LiveATC can be delayed enough to make it not great for timing and it can also be an ENCORE presentation, not live, as is the case with KLAS tower ...

Zee71
2011-01-29, 06:12 PM
Steve.......since I live in the area. I most likely will be around as well and can play spotting tour guide as well. I drive a Z-71 (a Tahoe).....hence the user ID.

If they're using 31L for departures, then HoBe is the spot and you should be able to catch some good stuff from the morning hours till about midday. Usually South African A340, Emirates 777, ANA 777, British Airways 747, and JAL 777 as well as some cargo guys depart from 31L. I hope they don't split the runways like Manny mentioned. So some times it's hit or miss. Not sure what type of equipment you're using but for HoBe a lens with 70-300mm (is okay, but a little short), and ideally a 100-400mm (if you a Canon shooter) or 80-400mm, 200-400mm if you're a Nikon user is recommended.

RomNYC
2011-01-29, 06:16 PM
Awesome valuable info Manny. Thank you for it.

steve1840
2011-01-30, 11:34 AM
I look for you as well Mark. I've been checking Flightstats.com just about every saturday for the last couple of weeks to try and get a good idea of the flights in and out on Saturdays. I am lookingforward to seeing the SA A340 and the BA 747 take off from 31L at HoBe. As for equipment I really don't plan on using anything but the 100-400. As for afternoon arrivals, I am looking forward to seeing the Virgin 747 and hopefully the Emirates A380. Hopefully Air France will have the 380 also instead of the 777.

Also, what has been the odds lately of catching the China Eastern 340 with the special paint scheme on it? Is that pretty much hit or miss?

steve1840
2011-01-31, 12:00 PM
Uggggh. So far the weather forecast isn't looking to good for spotting on Saturday. Looking like a 50% chance of snow showers. I am definitely hoping that the forecst changes by the weekend or else I'll end up staying in CT. I'm still rather optomistic since it is a week away. I'm sure it will change two or three times by friday.

steve1840
2011-02-04, 11:16 AM
Definitely not heaeding down tomorrow, and won't be able to make it on Sunday. Been checkign the weather for next weekend and its been consistently saying that next Saturday will be 0% chance of precip and in the mid 30's with nothign but sunshine. Aside from being forecast at 33 deg, it sounds like a perfect day to me do head down.