PDA

View Full Version : Job rant

eric8669
2011-01-26, 12:30 AM
let me preface this, I work in IT, User support

so, today I thought I had a job. it was temp to perm but it was a job. I get to the office and the manager expects me to get on the phones 5 minutes after I get there without any knowledge of the Company systems or procedures. Now I ask you, How I am I suppose to help a user without knowing anything. It is usually common practice to be trained or to shadow a seasoned employee for at least a day or even a week before going solo. I did get one day of training after practically begging for it, but the manager thought other wise. I've been in the IT industry for over 8 years and have never heard of such a practice. Each new job I've been on there is some type of training or something to familiarize yourself with company procedures.

This job lasted one day,

Next............

sporky
2011-01-26, 12:41 AM
Damn sorry to hear that. I am quite shocked at the lack of professionalism from that company, and being a fellow IT worker I find this highly unusual. I can understand the point of view that if they are paying you then you should be earning that pay right away, but not knowing about the systems you are supposed to help an end-user with an issue on would also show that user that the company doesn't care about them. I have never worked the phones in a help desk, but did work closely with other companies IT support personel who assumed that since I worked for a major software company that I automatically knew everything about each and every one of our hundreds of products. Not a good situation and I sympathize with you completely.

Good luck on the continuing hunt. How is the overall job market back east? I have been out of a job for coming up on almost a year, though I really didn't start looking too hard until last Sept/Oct. A few nibbles, but nothing biting.

-Tad

megatop412
2011-01-26, 12:57 AM
Don't lose hope, man, something will turn up sooner or later. Can't be much worse than what you described!

The thing with large companies is that, the lack of investment in training leads not only to quick burnout but also crap service to its customers, as you pointed out. Companies are so hard-pressed to make a buck a lot of them throw you to the wolves before you're ready. The sad fact is that they don't give a damn about people actually receiving the help they need- they only care about 'clearing the queues' so that there's no calls waiting. I work in a call center and it just amazes me how complacent my company is to keep poorly trained and poorly-performing staff on the phones just so there's no calls waiting. This way, it can report great metrics back to our clients, but the service stinks. I try my best to run the best trainings I can, but there's always pressure to get people on the phones before they're ready.

Best of luck to you in finding something decent.

eric8669
2011-01-26, 01:08 AM
Don't lose hope, man, something will turn up sooner or later. Can't be much worse than what you described!

The thing with large companies is that, the lack of investment in training leads not only to quick burnout but also crap service to its customers, as you pointed out. Companies are so hard-pressed to make a buck a lot of them throw you to the wolves before you're ready. The sad fact is that they don't give a damn about people actually receiving the help they need- they only care about 'clearing the queues' so that there's no calls waiting. I work in a call center and it just amazes me how complacent my company is to keep poorly trained and poorly-performing staff on the phones just so there's no calls waiting. This way, it can report great metrics back to our clients, but the service stinks. I try my best to run the best trainings I can, but there's always pressure to get people on the phones before they're ready.

I

Best of luck to you in finding something decent.

hear you about the queue, but on this particular day the queue was empty and that's how I was able to ask many questions of the guy who I was shadowing. He answered all my questions and even agreed with me that I should start with email tickets before hitting the phones. Now I have a whole day's knowledge and understanding of the systems and what do they do, send me home because I wanted to learn so I could better help the user.

The last job I worked, I was not on the phones for two weeks there was so much to learn.

gonzalu
2011-01-26, 04:44 PM
Eric, welcome to hell... I guess you never worked in a REAL company before? LOL... I started in IT back in 1979... in 1984 I was managing a Tandy Computer Center and from there, well, had many many jobs! Unless you're working for a large financial in Wall Street or Midtown, or a REAL IT company like Microsoft or Cisco etc., expect such nonsense!

I now work for and been working for a hospital as you all probably know for about 15 years or so and I have never been happier. We are challenged everyday and have a lot of resources... there are places that are rewarding in IT. We enjoy new challenges and always new technology and the like... sometimes there are only 24 hours in the day and we have to make up the extra 4 but that's a larger issue. The actual IT part is still fun and enjoyable.

Sounds to me like you had issues with the politics of the place and not so much IT...

I will tell you that I started in desktop OSs then servers and eventually discovered Networking and will never go back... I still do some desktop / server stuff but MUCH happier dealing with Routers and Switches and Firewalls and VPNs than with people's data and apps ... that is tough :rolleyes:

Anyway, hang in there... something will show up. I just hope you get a job with an Airline that allows ramp visits for the IT staff :cool:

Send me your resume via E-mail... I can pass it around our various groups... can;t promise anything but you never know!

Cheers...

eric8669
2011-01-26, 05:03 PM
Eric, welcome to hell... I guess you never worked in a REAL company before? LOL... I started in IT back in 1979... in 1984 I was managing a Tandy Computer Center and from there, well, had many many jobs! Unless you're working for a large financial in Wall Street or Midtown, or a REAL IT company like Microsoft or Cisco etc., expect such nonsense!

I now work for and been working for a hospital as you all probably know for about 15 years or so and I have never been happier. We are challenged everyday and have a lot of resources... there are places that are rewarding in IT. We enjoy new challenges and always new technology and the like... sometimes there are only 24 hours in the day and we have to make up the extra 4 but that's a larger issue. The actual IT part is still fun and enjoyable.

Sounds to me like you had issues with the politics of the place and not so much IT...

I will tell you that I started in desktop OSs then servers and eventually discovered Networking and will never go back... I still do some desktop / server stuff but MUCH happier dealing with Routers and Switches and Firewalls and VPNs than with people's data and apps ... that is tough :rolleyes:

Anyway, hang in there... something will show up. I just hope you get a job with an Airline that allows ramp visits for the IT staff :cool:

Send me your resume via E-mail... I can pass it around our various groups... can;t promise anything but you never know!

Cheers...

Real Companies? I have worked for some major corporate organizations. I am just talking from a 1st day employee perspective. i've never heard of an organization that does not give some sort of introduction to company policies/procedures. The last two companies I have worked for. one a major medical group and the other a major Industrial company both offered a day, a week even two weeks to familiarize yourself with everything. I had to beg this guy to give me an hour. That should not be.

Update: The Agency I got this "job" from called me today. They are giving me a weeks salary and they apologized for what happened to me yesterday and will continue to look for opportunities for me.

gonzalu
2011-01-26, 05:26 PM
Well, I was kidding of course... but in all seriousness, that is terrible, sorry to hear about it. At least your recruiter was cool.

Zee71
2011-01-26, 08:08 PM
Eric....if you're interested in Government jobs..........check out USAJobs.gov

I"m not sure what is there, but search for "Information Technology" or look under the following series, "GS 2210" (this the series designatior for Information Technology). Good luck in your quest.

emshighway
2011-01-26, 08:57 PM
I worked Senior Support Engineer and was a Desktop Support Manager and wouldn't think of just throwing someone on a phone.