PDA

View Full Version : Jetblue at KISP?

Fly2e
2011-01-17, 11:29 AM
Hello,
Does anybody know if Jetblue will ever be flying out of Islip (KISP) anytime soon?
I have heard rumors but was wondering if any of you know? Thanks!

Dave

T-Bird76
2011-01-17, 12:32 PM
There's been rumors for years now. If jetBlue felt they could turn a profit at ISP they'd be there. There's not enough of a market from ISP for jetBlue to risk cannibalizing part of their JFK ops. While the planes may go out full to Florida if jetBlue started that route it doesn't mean they go out profitable. The one thing to look forward to from ISP is Southwest opening up ATL service once the merger with Airtran is complete, this route is almost a certainty.

Fly2e
2011-01-17, 12:35 PM
Thanks for answering as it makes sense.... It would be so easy though :biggrin:

Lrusso
2011-01-17, 02:41 PM
Southwest is running some flights out of ISP for $49.00. I'm not sure B6 could compete there.

Matt Molnar
2011-01-17, 05:19 PM
Southwest is running some flights out of ISP for $49.00. I'm not sure B6 could compete there.
JetBlue frequently has $39-$49 specials on short routes.

PhilDernerJr
2011-01-17, 06:48 PM
JetBlue being there as well doesn't mean they will be competing. Different route structures are all is would take to avoid competition. However, airport operations may be difficult to make room, even though Southwest has scaled back pretty heavily at ISP, perhaps freeing up some space.

ISP is so politically..."persuaded" by Southwest, I think, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but the truth. Southwest is what allowed them to grow like they did. I wonder how that would affect other airline's ability to get their foot in the door with a dominant force.

Art at ISP
2011-01-17, 07:21 PM
I think there is a definite need for some other carrier(s) at ISP instead of just Southwest and US Scareways. While my feelings regarding Southwest have changed of late, I actually think that their clout with the town of Islip may be waning as their flight count declines. I could be wrong, but I think I read that Islip town was wooing other airlines to ISP.

At the end of the day I would love to have Jet Blue at ISP, but I'd watch for others too.......
If UA/CO had a Q400 route to IAD or CLE, now that would probably be sustainable according to my friends at CO....

The perfect dream flight would be to reinstate the ISP-EWR shuttle of years gone by..... but that is a virtual impossibility..

Speaking of US, I am scheduled to fly US for the first time in over 3.5 years next week....should be interesting--but crediting all the miles to CO.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-01-19, 11:30 AM
What about Delta going back to ISP? Service to DTW and ATL may work for them again. I recall Delta did rather well at ISP and was there for a long time even after Delta Express. I think Delta has a much different route structure and many different aircraft that would suit ISP.

steve1840
2011-01-19, 11:49 AM
I'm sure this is probably a very stupid question but I'll ask it anyway....

As I have mentioned before, when I was growing up I would visit my grandparents in Islip Terrace (1990's) and there house was directly in the flight path for approach to ISP. I remember ISP being pretty busy at the time and had many different carriers there. I can remember USAir, Delta, United, Continental, and American all flying over the house. There was alot of turbo props, but at the same time there was also alot of jet service.

My question is, what happened to ISP? Why did service there get scaled back so much? Was it just the eccconomy and the airlines not finding it profitable to fly there? Personally, if I lived out on the island today, I would rather drive 10-30 mins to ISP and catch a connecting flight, than drive up to an hour or more (possibly traffic) to catch a flight out of LGA or JFK (and chances are that I'd be connecting anyway from there).

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-01-19, 12:02 PM
I'm sure this is probably a very stupid question but I'll ask it anyway....

As I have mentioned before, when I was growing up I would visit my grandparents in Islip Terrace (1990's) and there house was directly in the flight path for approach to ISP. I remember ISP being pretty busy at the time and had many different carriers there. I can remember USAir, Delta, United, Continental, and American all flying over the house. There was alot of turbo props, but at the same time there was also alot of jet service.

My question is, what happened to ISP? Why did service there get scaled back so much? Was it just the eccconomy and the airlines not finding it profitable to fly there? Personally, if I lived out on the island today, I would rather drive 10-30 mins to ISP and catch a connecting flight, than drive up to an hour or more (possibly traffic) to catch a flight out of LGA or JFK (and chances are that I'd be connecting anyway from there).
I used to live in Baldwin but up until AA pulled down their RDU hub we used ISP a lot. My parents would fly us from ISP-RDU-DAB on AA. I personally think ISP will get more airlines entering their market. I don't think we will see low fare competition between Southwest and JetBlue, but I do think CO/UA and DL may go back in. Suffolk County is much more built up than it was and Eastern Nassau County (Bethpage, Seaford, Farmingdale) Residents would probably be attracted more and more to ISP. I think the service to the NYC Area Airports is protected enough for additional service in Islip.

Bottom line Steve, not a stupid question at all.

steve1840
2011-01-19, 12:08 PM
I would love to see more variety in service go back to ISP. I still have family that lives in Islip Terrace and would love to go spot out at ISP and see more than Southwest 737s.

I tell ya, I used to love hearing that whining and roar as the MD80s would fly over my grandparents house when I was younger, and in the evening they would light up the kitchen. It was great.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-01-19, 12:15 PM
I would love to see more variety in service go back to ISP. I still have family that lives in Islip Terrace and would love to go spot out at ISP and see more than Southwest 737s.

I tell ya, I used to love hearing that whining and roar as the MD80s would fly over my grandparents house when I was younger, and in the evening they would light up the kitchen. It was great.
I think it will happen. My guess is within the next year or two. If Southwest launches ATL after the AirTran merger I can almost assure you Delta will be back and at it. When AirTran announced SWF Delta announced they were going back to SWF within a month or two of AirTran's announcement I believe.

steve1840
2011-01-19, 12:28 PM
I hope so. THat would hopefully get some of those MD88s back in there.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-01-27, 09:33 PM
If they are competing against the Southwest name, my guess is ISP will see DL mainline. MD-88s and 737s will probably be touching down regularly.

Derf
2011-01-27, 11:22 PM
That would be awesome!

hiss srq
2011-02-01, 08:29 PM
I cannot comment on the actual topic but I would venture to guess you will see a new airline at ISP within the next 12 to 16 months... Probably using a mid short range mainliner... It would be interesting to see something along the lines of Q400's at ISP though... I'm going to call Tommy out to the floor to post a Newsday article he shared with me a few years ago.. The picture in the article at ISP will probably floor many of you... I know I spent a good 30 mins drooling over it myself... :cool:

ISP Pilot
2011-02-01, 10:10 PM
If they are competing against the Southwest name, my guess is ISP will see DL mainline. MD-88s and 737s will probably be touching down regularly.

About 10 years ago, DL 737-200s under the name Delta Express were a common sight at ISP bringing folks back and forth to Florida. IIRC, FLL & MCO. WN won that battle.

T-Bird76
2011-02-02, 11:55 AM
You're not going to see MD88s or 738s are ISP from Delta...they can't fill them. Simply because Southwest may very well start ATL service once the AirTran meger is done doesn't mean Delta isn't going to jump in the market with 140+ seat planes flying to one destination. it will cost Delta far more per seat mile then it will Southwest to operate an ATL route. If you stop and look at the industry today airlines aren't jumping into markets simply because another airline is there, they are concentrating on markets they are already strong in or markets where they can link with their alliance partners to maximize moving passengers to more points other then the carrier's termination point.

steve1840
2011-02-02, 12:07 PM
I don't know if anybody saw this article in Newsday, but are they hinting at possibly more airlines there?

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/macarthur-airport-now-officially-an-nyc-airport-1.2654846

T-Bird76
2011-02-02, 03:28 PM
"The Federal Aviation Administration (http://www.newsday.com/topics/Federal_Aviation_Administration) now lists MacArthur as a New York City airport. "

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL And we wonder why the FAA is so F'd up... Let me take out my map I drew some years ago to show how ISP is NOT an NYC airport.....

btw....my rather rudimentary study down below is far more research then the FAA has done in this case...

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/liisp.jpg

steve1840
2011-02-02, 03:38 PM
NIce map T-bird. I guess the FAA wasn't on the distribution list. Lol

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-02-02, 04:54 PM
You're not going to see MD88s or 738s are ISP from Delta...they can't fill them. Simply because Southwest may very well start ATL service once the AirTran meger is done doesn't mean Delta isn't going to jump in the market with 140+ seat planes flying to one destination. it will cost Delta far more per seat mile then it will Southwest to operate an ATL route. If you stop and look at the industry today airlines aren't jumping into markets simply because another airline is there, they are concentrating on markets they are already strong in or markets where they can link with their alliance partners to maximize moving passengers to more points other then the carrier's termination point.

This is not going to happen today. I give it a few years. Southwest is a much harder contender than AirTran and DL has competed in ways that don't make them money in the past. If this merger does happen and WN does start ATL, then I'm almost positive DL will be all over it. Even if not an MD-88, the DC-9-50s will probably go in. I can't see Delta letting this happen without them fighting back, I really can't.

To add on to your FAA map, no, ISP isn't a NYC airport, at least not like the Big 3. Long Island is heavily populated on its own with a few million in Nassau and Suffolk Counties alone. While I wouldn't expect someone from Valley Stream to drive out to ISP, people from Seaford, Bethpage, Levittown, Farmingdale, Oyster Bay, Woodbury, etc probably would, basically east of the Wantagh Parkway. Also, if the PANYNJ thinks they can transition SWF into an NYC airport, then you can easily add ISP to that list since they are accessible by NYC via the Ronkonkoma Line of the LIRR, not to mention 15-20 miles closer than SWF.

T-Bird76
2011-02-02, 05:44 PM
This is not going to happen today. I give it a few years. Southwest is a much harder contender than AirTran and DL has competed in ways that don't make them money in the past. If this merger does happen and WN does start ATL, then I'm almost positive DL will be all over it. Even if not an MD-88, the DC-9-50s will probably go in. I can't see Delta letting this happen without them fighting back, I really can't.

All over it like a fat kid on a cupcake? I forgive you for everything you don't know about how a business works...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

hiss srq
2011-02-02, 06:05 PM
The last thing we need is the Port to go buy ISP now... LMAO... Of course, I am just stirring the pot here... If it has a mark on a sectional and someone considers it part of NYC Port wants a peice. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2011-02-02, 07:02 PM
All over it like a fat kid on a cupcake? I forgive you for everything you don't know about how a business works...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know how a business works. I also have seen Delta try to compete when an airline starts an ATL route that it already has. They are very defensive of ATL. Do you see the amount of mainline flights DL has at PNS with AirTran there? How about DL's schedule upgrade from CRJs to CR7s and CR9s at HPN with AirTran flying there? Then there is DL adding MD-88s to ATL-MDT/ABE when FL did their seasonal ATL service and resuming mainline on ATL-PWM? ATL-DAB also went all mainline and DL announced LGA-DAB within a week or two of AirTran (and ending it within a week of them too) when they made their horrible attempt there. Southwest has a much higher customer base over AirTran and has made a great name for themselves and they are much stronger competitors in my opinion as well. If Southwest enters ATL through an AirTran acquisition you don't see Delta competing heavily with them? Do you understand what I am basing my opinion off of now, because I think it's definitely a valid one.