PDA

View Full Version : Costco 10-28-2010

gonzalu
2010-10-28, 10:47 PM
I was out at Costco today doing the usual thing we do and I was approached by a Nassau County police officer in a marked RMP. He parked right next to my car and stepped out immediately. I got a little nervous and put on my best NYCA face... he immediately began to inquire about the lens (200-400mm f/4) and spent the next 30 minutes drilling me about photography LOL. What's the best camera? Canon or Nikon? What lenses should he get? etc.

I had a really nice chat with the officer and in the end I had three other folks who came over to see what the deal was ... one was a Costco employee (super nice guy) and the other two just photography buffs asking about gear and such.

Whenever a plane went past and I totally ignored them while I took pictures, they would ask me the inevitable question: Why are you taking pictures of planes? And I would answer, totally for fun and hobby... lots of shrugs. Oh yea, one woman stopped in her minivan, all smiles asking: "What Magazine do you shoot for?" when I answered "none, just for fun" she got serious and sped off... too funny!

Zee71
2010-10-29, 06:35 AM
Excellent! Always nice to hear something like this without any issues. By the way, did the cop then go into Costco and by a Canon or Nikon camera???

gonzalu
2010-10-29, 08:11 AM
Yeah he was a really nice officer. Before he rolled up on me he had a few words with the fishermen at the end of the lot who were not only fishing, they had a tent set up, loud music from the side of one of their vans, food etc. LOL. I was tidy by comparison.

I actually told him to go into the Costco and look at the Nikon D90 kit which is a steal for a great camera/lens package. Not sure if they have a similar Canon combo but I believe they do have a Rebel 450D Xti or whatever Canon calls it here in the states.

megatop412
2010-10-29, 02:01 PM
My standard response to the age-old question of why I'm doing this is: "Because they're beautiful." I also use the analogy of "I'm like those guys who follow sports like it's a religion. Only THIS is MY religion." That usually takes care of it. Or I just say I'm working, whichever I feel like saying that day. I usually use that one with police.

Yeah the guys that fish there, they never seem to get hassled! Just wait until the next attempt to attack America is carried out by fishermen!:tongue:

Also, Manny, I agree that the 200-400 is an amazing lens, but how on Earth are you using that at Costco? Even my 70-300 is too much for that spot

And by the way folks: the D90 body-only is currently just $789 at B&H

ch2tdriver
2010-10-29, 04:10 PM
Excellent! Always nice to hear something like this without any issues. By the way, did the cop then go into Costco and by a Canon or Nikon camera???

Of course he may have just been doing some good old fashioned police work. Fein interest and keep plugging away to see if you are the real deal and know your stuff. :smile:

moose135
2010-10-29, 05:27 PM
Or I just say I'm working, whichever I feel like saying that day. I usually use that one with police.
Don't say that at Bayswater - you need a permit for commercial photography in the park.