PDA

View Full Version : Continental 777 Dumping Fuel

PhilDernerJr
2010-09-21, 11:16 AM
69b_1285076425

This Continental Airlines boeing 777 Jet was seen with 275 passengers and 16 crew dumping fuel over New Jersey on Sunday May 9 2010, gears down to help burn some of that fuel off!

Matt Molnar
2010-09-21, 12:35 PM
FYI, emergency was due to hydraulic problem after takeoff from EWR for NRT. You might recall a bunch of NIMBYs whining about the bajillion gallons of fuel dumped on them.

puckstopper55
2010-09-21, 02:44 PM
Does the fuel disperse, or could you walk out to your car and have a jet fuel slick on it? I cant see it being allowed if it was super unsafe, but looking at it, it cant be safe! (for the people / things on the ground)

Derf
2010-09-21, 03:45 PM
That was nothing compared to the one I had seen when in Phoenix.....
"The aircraft is a Miami Air 727 that took off from PHX 1/5/99 on a charter flight
to Nashville full of Tennessee fans from the 1999 Fiesta Bowl.
Anyway, the luggage door came open just after takeoff and they immediately turned around for an emergency landing at PHX.
As you can see from the high angle of attack the aircraft was not very high and was "Struggling" to make it back to the airport."

I remember him at around 200 feet heading towards the city of Phoenix as this 727 was at a higher AOA than I have ever seen! His FE started dumping just as he cleared the airport and was flying at 200 feet dumping like a mofo! He had to go all over the Valley dumping as he was just trying to keep his altitude finally reaching a whopping 1000 feet or so when he returned. I think he stopped dumping about 1/4 mile from the threshold! There were people all over tv dramatically explaining how upset they were that their cars and homes were covered in Jetfuel... I was eating popcorn and drinking a beer with a big old cool-aid smile on my face.

If a pilot dumps fuel, it is an emergency... If he dumps fuel over people, He has an emergency that he fears for his life. Plain and simple...Dumping over people means the pilot needs to change his shorts, Plain and simple!

http://www.aviationpics.de/inflight/727fueldump1.jpghttp://www.aviationpics.de/inflight/727fueldump2.jpg

Bravo to both pilots!!!!

Matt Molnar
2010-09-21, 04:25 PM
At low altitude I'm sure some of it hits the ground, but at the altitude the 777 was at, between the effects of the sun and the wind I'm sure most of it dispersed.

Ychocky
2010-09-21, 06:24 PM
Cool video, nice find.

I remember the flightaware track from this one looked like my hair the morning after finishing a case of beer.

USAF Pilot 07
2010-09-22, 05:48 PM
Most aircraft have optimum altitudes for fuel dump, and the way the fuel vents out of the wings, most of it vaporizes before even reaching the ground. It's when the nature of the emergency is more severe and the aircraft has to start dumping lower to the ground that things on the ground could become contaminated with fuel; but, if you think about how fast the aircraft is moving, and how the fuel will disperse fairly quickly, you're not talking about major concentrated areas of fuel on the ground.