PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Week 2010 NYC Flyover Schedule

Matt Molnar
2010-08-25, 04:39 PM
Wednesday Aug 25th
A C-17 Globemaster III out of the 305th Air Mobility Wing at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, NJ, will fly over the Brooklyn Cyclones vs. Aberdeen Ironbirds game at MCU Park in Coney Island, game starts at 7pm.

Thursday August 26th

A B-52 Stratofortress out of the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota will fly over the Mets vs. Marlins game at CitiField, which starts at 7:10pm.

Saturday August 28th
A C-17 Globemaster III out of the 305th Air Mobility Wing at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, N.J., will fly over the New York Red Bulls vs. San Jose Earthquakes match at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ.

Gerard
2010-08-26, 09:43 AM
I know this is late (LOL) but in 20 minutes the Brazilian Smoke Team and a C-130 will be buzzing the Statue of Liberty then head up to the Portsmouth (NH) Air Show.

cancidas
2010-08-26, 01:19 PM
the B-52 over citifield should be quite a sight and sound... hope i'm working!

Matt Molnar
2010-08-26, 01:38 PM
I know this is late (LOL) but in 20 minutes the Brazilian Smoke Team and a C-130 will be buzzing the Statue of Liberty then head up to the Portsmouth (NH) Air Show.
Here are some pics: http://gothamist.com/2010/08/26/flyover_fun.php

I plan on heading out to Citi for the BUFF.

Gerard
2010-08-26, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=GothamSpotter;428588]Here are some pics: http://gothamist.com/2010/08/26/flyover_fun.php

Nice shots. Our guys always on the ball. I like the C-130 leading them. Too bad that
didnt fly with them at A/C yesterday.

Gerard
2010-08-26, 07:58 PM
I plan on heading out to Citi for the BUFF.

How was it? Watching the Met game on TV and not a word or picture about it.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-26, 08:10 PM
The flight was canceled for, what at this time is, an unknown reason. I know lots of people from all over headed out, and the weather is GORGEOUS, but all were disappointed.

moose135
2010-08-26, 08:32 PM
The flight was canceled for, what at this time is, an unknown reason. I know lots of people from all over headed out, and the weather is GORGEOUS, but all were disappointed.
Another illustration that the Air Force went to hell after the fighter guys killed off SAC.:mad:

Chris S
2010-08-26, 09:59 PM
FYI- we were supposed to get 2 passes from the BUFF at the AC show,
so I guess we were lucky to get just one yesterday !!!
Oh well, so much for "Air Force" Week in NYC !!! :frown:

Gerard
2010-08-26, 11:00 PM

Did the C-17 do the Fly-over Wed night?:eek:

Matt Molnar
2010-08-27, 12:14 AM
No idea, but leaning towards no. I haven't seen anything about it online, I think someone would have posted pics on Flickr.

george
2010-08-27, 09:23 AM

Yeah I only went to the game because of the B-52 ( I got free tickets :) ).

USAF Pilot 07
2010-08-27, 10:25 AM

The C17 did do the flyover over Coney Island on Wednesday night - I know one of the guys that did it.

As for the B52 canx-ing, not sure why it did or where it was staging out of (presumably ACY or WRI) but my best guess would be that it was a maintenance issue that kept it from making the flyover on-time, so it was scrapped altogether.

cancidas
2010-08-27, 12:25 PM
Another illustration that the Air Force went to hell after the fighter guys killed off SAC.:mad:

while i agree with moose, i think that a certain other agency had thier hand in nixing that one.

Gerard
2010-08-27, 03:31 PM
while i agree with moose, i think that a certain other agency had thier hand in nixing that one.
The Yankees?

njgtr82
2010-08-27, 07:14 PM
The flyover at the Redbull's game tomorrow will now be a KC-10

Gerard
2010-08-29, 11:52 PM
The flyover at the Redbull's game tomorrow will now be a KC-10

Did it show up?

USAF Pilot 07
2010-08-30, 08:17 PM
Yes it did.

Speedbird1
2010-08-31, 05:47 AM
I heard that the NYPD wouldn't give the necessary permits for the fly-overs or for the scheduled air show for Aug. 28/29 over Coney Island. Is there any truth to this?

Derf
2010-08-31, 10:18 AM
you should follow the discussion on the thread "Thunderbirds at Coney island." (http://nycaviation.com/35751-Thunderbirds-at-Coney-island.?highlight=coney)

This has nothing to do with Airforce week fly over schedule

Speedbird1
2010-09-09, 06:44 AM
A guy was giving-out Thunderbird booklets for free at the Intrepid Pier near the Concorde and he didn't even know there was supposed to be an Air Show or even a fly-by that week. He knew nothing really about Air Force Week. Was he the best choice the USAF could send to NYC? I have the greatest respect for the USAF, especially since my uncle was a navigator during the Korean War but Air Force Week here in NYC was a great disappointment.

USAF Pilot 07
2010-09-09, 05:55 PM
A guy was giving-out Thunderbird booklets for free at the Intrepid Pier near the Concorde and he didn't even know there was supposed to be an Air Show or even a fly-by that week. He knew nothing really about Air Force Week. Was he the best choice the USAF could send to NYC? I have the greatest respect for the USAF, especially since my uncle was a navigator during the Korean War but Air Force Week here in NYC was a great disappointment.

Most people working AF Week in NYC events aren't from NYC, don't live in the NYC metro area and don't follow the local media.

Also, probably more relevant, most of the people sent to work AF week NYC were "voluntold". Most of them could have probably cared less about AF week in NYC, don't know much about NYC, and had about a million other things at work to worry about that were probably way more important than AF Week in NYC. But, all that takes a backseat to AF Week in NYC and other events like this because with the AF and military "doing more with less" there was no other place to draw manpower to work the event. So they told people they were working it, and had people hop on a bus up to NYC to work something they knew little about. Just like it's more important for the Air Force to cancel or push back flights so that people can attend events like these and other various things (such as change of command formations etc..).
Keep in mind the majority of people in the AF don't fly, and don't work near airplanes. In fact, there are people in the Air Force who have no idea what the flying mission entails among the various airframes, and who can't even tell different airframes apart...

moose135
2010-09-09, 08:53 PM
In fact, there are people in the Air Force who have no idea what the flying mission entails among the various airframes, and who can't even tell different airframes apart...
Now that's just sad...what has my Air Force turned into?

"The mission of the Air Force is to fly and fight--and don't you forget it!"

USAF Pilot 07
2010-09-10, 05:43 PM
Now that's just sad...what has my Air Force turned into?

"The mission of the Air Force is to fly and fight--and don't you forget it!"

It's sad but true. In a society that's become a place where "everyone is equally important and matters" and where no one wants to hurt each other's feelings we treat everyone's job like it is the most important on the base. God forbid finance actually was open outside the hours of 9-3, and that anytime you needed something done you didn't have to call Ellworth AFB, ND, or that Comm actually knew how to fix computers that have had tickets in for weeks, sometimes months. You wouldn't know that "support" agencies were actually there to support operations.
In fact, there are people I've heard (usually younger Airmen) who believe the reason that KC10s deploy is to bring in fuel to fuel the generators that run the base overseas... I guess at least they know it carries fuel...

Ok, it's not all that bad, but there is some stuff that is just downright sad.. end of public rant...