PDA

View Full Version : JetBlue Employee Deploys Emergency Chute at JFK

Matt Molnar
2010-08-09, 01:43 PM
Not confirmed, but hearing reports that PAPD is requesting FBI to help find a JetBlue employee who intentionally set off a chute and then fled into the terminal.

NYCAviation:

JetBlue Flight Attendant Quits Spectacularly After Fight with Passenger (http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E3/DgSQCQwPfxc/)

http://nycaviation.com/../newspage/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/slater-250.jpg (http://nycaviation.com/../2010/08/09/jetblue-flight-attendant-quits-spectacularly-after-fight-with-passenger/)

A jetBlue flight attendant has been arrested after fighting with a passenger and jumping out of his plane via an emergency slide in New York.
http://feeds.feedburner.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E4/DgSQCQwPfxc
[Click to Read Full Article (http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E3/DgSQCQwPfxc/)]

hiss srq
2010-08-09, 02:51 PM
It is factual... I can confirm it from an internal source... I was at JFK when it took place...

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-08-09, 03:34 PM
An upset flight attendant at John F. Kennedy Airport activated his plane’s emergency chute, slid down then made his way to his car and drove home, according to an airport official.

JetBlue Flight 1052 from Pittsburgh was taxing to a stop at Terminal 5, Gate C around noon Monday when a passenger got up from his seat before the plane’s pilot deemed it safe to do so. The man was trying to remove his baggage from one of the plane’s overhead compartments when the flight attendant confronted the man and asked him to return to his seat, the official said. The passenger and the male flight attendant exchanged heated words. For reasons that are so far unclear, the flight attendant then activated the inflatable emergency slide, went down the chute and ran into the terminal, the official said.

The attendant then took a shuttle bus to the long-term parking area at JFK, retrieved his car and drove home, the official said.

Police picked the flight attendant up at his home Monday afternoon and brought him to the Port Authority Police station at the airport for questioning. (No word on whether the flight attendant was one of the many former NYPD officers in jetBlue’s employ.)

“At this time, we are working with the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to investigate this incident. At no time was the security or safety of our customers or crewmembers at risk,” said Steve Stampley, a JetBlue Airways spokesman.

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010/08/09/fed-up-flight-attendant-pops-planes-emergency-chute-at-jfk-slides-away/

Matt Molnar
2010-08-09, 04:36 PM
Daily News says he dropped the F-bomb over the PA before jumping out via slide, and that he was in fact arrested.

"To the passenger who called me a m---f--er, f--- you," flight attendant Steven Slater ranted over the intercom, passengers said.

"I've been in the business 28 years. I've had it. That's it."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/08/09/2010-08-09_talk_about_turbulance_jetblue_flight_attendant_ drops_intercom_fbomb_bolts_down_e.html

NIKV69
2010-08-09, 04:52 PM
Well you wanted a job with the airlines Ryan. One just opened up!

NYCA News
2010-08-09, 05:21 PM
NYCAviation:

JetBlue Flight Attendant Quits Spectacularly After Fight with Passenger (http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E3/DgSQCQwPfxc/)

http://nycaviation.com/newspage/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/slater-250.jpg (http://nycaviation.com/2010/08/09/jetblue-flight-attendant-quits-spectacularly-after-fight-with-passenger/)

A jetBlue flight attendant has been arrested after fighting with a passenger and jumping out of his plane via an emergency slide in New York.
http://feeds.feedburner.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E4/DgSQCQwPfxc
[Click to Read Full Article (http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E3/DgSQCQwPfxc/)]

NIKV69
2010-08-09, 05:28 PM
28 years? I thought they said he was 39? He started as a FA when he was 11?

moose135
2010-08-09, 05:42 PM
28 years? I thought they said he was 39? He started as a FA when he was 11?
He said he was "in the business 28 years" - maybe he's counting his time as a kid washing airplanes at the local FBO as being "in the business" :confused:

hiss srq
2010-08-09, 05:49 PM
He grabbed some beers on the way out too. :cool:

moose135
2010-08-09, 05:56 PM
He grabbed some beers on the way out too. :cool:
He might have gotten away with just a warning, but stealing beer? He's history for sure!:tongue:

T-Bird76
2010-08-10, 09:06 AM
This guy is as big of a jackass as the rude passenger... Releasing an emergency slide isn't a minor event even if its accidently done. He's ruined his career, will face criminal charges and perhaps civil if jetBlue decides to go after him for the cost of the event.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-10, 10:02 AM
That is quite a way to quit...the fantasy of many a crewmember.

I will say that blowing a slide is no tiny action. Especially when you're close to a gate, anyone in the ground or in a jetbridge can be killed as it inflates explosively. They can also cost and easy $10-12,000 to replace.

For this, I wonder if he'll get more than a slap on the wrist from authorities. I also doubt B6 will go after him. Unless they really want to make an example out of him because of all the media attention....but this is not the first time someone has done this.

JHNA57
2010-08-10, 10:38 AM
My observations:
The flight attendant was apparently hit on the head by a bag being retrieved by a passenger before the plane came to a stop at the gate.
Dazed by the blow to the head, he grabbed the first cold object for his bruise (the beer), and was so dazed by the confusion, he popped the slide and ran. This may even be a case for Workmens Compensation.
I believe many flight attendants, (especially those who deal with New Yorkers) will secretly applaud this guy, he may even become a JetBlue icon up there with Sully

NIKV69
2010-08-10, 10:53 AM
Reports say he even cracked open one of the beers he stole and starting drinking it before he jumped down the slide! He did screw himself by deploying the slide. If he wanted to go out with a bang he shouldn't have done that. I would have went ape on the cabin intercom, told that guy who cursed me out to his face he was a loser, mooned the whole plane. Grabbed the beer and walked out that door on the jetway to the ramp and left. Probably would have saved himself a ton of agro and cost of a laywer.

T-Bird76
2010-08-10, 11:37 AM
My observations:
The flight attendant was apparently hit on the head by a bag being retrieved by a passenger before the plane came to a stop at the gate.
Dazed by the blow to the head, he grabbed the first cold object for his bruise (the beer), and was so dazed by the confusion, he popped the slide and ran. This may even be a case for Workmens Compensation.
I believe many flight attendants, (especially those who deal with New Yorkers) will secretly applaud this guy, he may even become a JetBlue icon up there with Sully

You missed your calling in life...you should be a defense attoney lol Although you do have a point and I can see a lawyer going after that defense that he was hit in the head and by the looks of the pictures, he looked like he took a good wack. The lawyer will proabably say the hit on the head caused him to lose his judgement and act in this foolish manner, although I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

mirrodie
2010-08-10, 11:40 AM
My observations:

Priceless!!!

In all seriousness now......OK, fess up. Which Anetter is this?

mirrodie
2010-08-10, 11:46 AM
And i didnt know Tom had a long lost brother...

hiss srq
2010-08-10, 12:39 PM
He has officially gained cult hero status among many crew members. His name is on every F/A and most pilots I know's lips... "I slide for Slater" is the motto going around... T-Shirts and all aviailable already.

moose135
2010-08-10, 01:43 PM
T-Shirts and all aviailable already.
I hope he will get a cut of the sales for his legal expenses.

JHNA57
2010-08-10, 02:06 PM
You missed your calling in life...you should be a defense attoney lol Although you do have a point and I can see a lawyer going after that defense that he was hit in the head and by the looks of the pictures, he looked like he took a good wack. The lawyer will proabably say the hit on the head caused him to lose his judgement and act in this foolish manner, although I think he knew exactly what he was doing.

If I were his Lawyer, I would probably advise him to continue the story like this: "I drove myself home to pick up my insurance card so I could go to the hospital to have my "injury" taken care of. Unfortunately the Police arrested me before I could do so".:rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, I think what he did was wrong and potentially dangerous to others. For that he should be held accountable, as should the passenger who started the whole series of events.

NIKV69
2010-08-10, 02:15 PM
MSNBC reports he has 2 hours to raise bail or he goes to Rikers. I bet those rude pax will look good when he see his cronies in that house.

mirrodie
2010-08-10, 03:19 PM
from anet:

The flight attendant involved is actually one of the members on this site:
http://www.airliners.net/profile/skyliner747

Judging from his posts he seems very professional and loved what he did.

Ari707
2010-08-10, 03:25 PM
Taiwanese Company Creates CGI Video of Fuming Flight Attendant

By Maria Eugenia Miranda
NBCNewYork.com
updated 59 minutes ago

If you weren't one of the lucky passengers to witness Steven Slater's abrupt departure from his job as a JetBlue flight attendant Monday, not to worry - the Taiwanese have re-created the spectacle for you.
The Taiwanese firm Next Media Animation developed a 3-D movie of Slater's escapades, showing how he got on the plane's public address system, cussed out everyone on the plane, grabbed a beer, and exited through an emergency landing slide.
Slater was arrested and taken into court today to face charges for the incident, which took place Monday on flight 1052 at JFK airport.
It's not the first time Next Media Animation has poked fun at a newsmaker: Last December, after Tiger Woods crashed his car near his Florida home, the company developed a CGI parody.
And earlier this year, Next Media created an avatar of a sex-crazed Al Gore going after a masseuse

http://www.nma.com.tw/

mirrodie
2010-08-10, 03:59 PM
You know, this guy has the potential to draw a following in the aviation service industry. It seems like a case of what "going postal" was in the 90's, though with no death thankfully.

T-Bird76
2010-08-10, 04:41 PM
jetBlue's newest plane should be called...."I Blue my top." hehe :)

JHNA57
2010-08-10, 04:47 PM
You know, this guy has the potential to draw a following in the aviation service industry. It seems like a case of what "going postal" was in the 90's, though with no death thankfully.

Instead of "going postal", the new phrase will be "popping the chute"

FlyingColors
2010-08-11, 10:43 AM
This is all too funny!

moose135
2010-08-11, 11:47 AM
He has officially gained cult hero status among many crew members. His name is on every F/A and most pilots I know's lips... "I slide for Slater" is the motto going around...
If it had been a passenger who popped the chute and exited like that, would all those crew members think him a hero, or would they be calling for jail time and a permanent ban from flying for being a danger?

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-11, 01:06 PM
Usually when a passenger does it, it's because they are dumb or literally mentally insane. This was just an elaborate quitting, even better than Jerry McGuire.

hiss srq
2010-08-11, 01:15 PM
It almost seems very elaborately planned out. As if this was his idea for how he was going to end his airline career for a while. Honestly, I feel worst for his mother... She is very sick with cancer and his actions will only place additional stresses on a body that is already exhausted from fighting the forces of nature.... I hope it dissapears from the media as soon as possible for her sake honestly...

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-11, 01:44 PM
EVERY crew-member has fantasized about this, so of course it was in his head. I wouldn't say it was "planned" as you don't just do that at your first excuse to act on it. There was definitely some loss of rationale.

T-Bird76
2010-08-11, 02:02 PM
EVERY crew-member has fantasized about this, so of course it was in his head. I wouldn't say it was "planned" as you don't just do that at your first excuse to act on it. There was definitely some loss of rationale.

Eh he simply "Queened" out.

seahawks7757
2010-08-11, 03:34 PM
Honestly this guy is great! I mean at least he had the courage to do something this crazy. But personally I totally support what he did. Pax drive me nuts all the time on the ramp and when I am traveling. They never listen. Similar to how the F/A tells them all to wait at the front of the plane for there a la carte. And a unch of them still try to come retrieve from the back.

moose135
2010-08-11, 09:45 PM

From the Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/11/2010-08-11_steven_slater_ponders_next_move_as_jetblue_flig ht_attendant_basks_in_glow_of_new.html):

It was the exit he'd always dreamed about. JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater told the Daily News he long fantasized about escaping a plane by jumping down its emergency slide.

"It was great. I always wanted to do it," Slater said outside of his home in Belle Harbor, Queens.

mirrodie
2010-08-15, 10:09 PM
Have there been any real updates on this pathetic guy?

Sorry, Having worked and STILL in an industry that provides service to others, its deplorable.
And quite frankly, while his story seems to unravel, it seems VERY much planned.

Any news?

moose135
2010-10-19, 01:53 PM
Just in...he managed to avoid jail time. From Newsday.com:

Former JetBlue attendant pleads guilty, gets counseling
Originally published: October 19, 2010 10:49 AM
Updated: October 19, 2010 12:44 PM

Belle Harbor man whose memorable exit from his flight attendant job made him a working-class hero pleaded guilty Tuesday to criminal mischief and agreed to undergo counseling. "While the public interest was surprising, at the end of the day, I am a grown-up and must take responsibility,"Steven Slater said outside court in Queens.

Slater, 38, pleaded guilty to two counts of criminal mischief, one count a felony. A prison sentence of one to three years will be suspended while he completes a mental health program in Queens.

On Aug. 9, Slater cursed out a passenger on a JetBlue flight that had landed at Kennedy Airport before sliding down the emergency exit chute he deployed. First reports of the incident stated that Slater grabbed two beers from the plane's galley before pulling the emergency exit handle. After his dramatic exit, police arrested Slater at his Queens home. Slater became a symbol for stressed-out workers. His lawyer has said the passenger's "lack of civility" prompted Slater's behavior.

He had been charged with criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and criminal trespass and was free on $2,500 bail. A review by mental health evaluators concluded Slater suffered from depression, which made him eligible for mental health court. "As we interviewed various passengers, it became increasingly clear to me and most of my staff that the defendant's actions were at least in part due to mental health and alcohol issues," Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said at a news conference after Slater's plea. Brown said that Slater "had finally recognized the seriousness of his actions and is willing to accept responsibility." The emergency chute Slater activated could have injured or killed passengers or workers on the tarmac, Brown said.

Unfortunately, this clown will probably end up with a book and/or TV deal. Should have thrown his butt in jail...

T-Bird76
2010-10-19, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately, this clown will probably end up with a book and/or TV deal. Should have thrown his butt in jail...

How much you wanna make a bet he'll be on Dancing with Stars or Celebrity Apprentice next year... The only reason I slightly agree with the ruling is that he didn't hurt anyone. If he did then throw his butt in jail. I wonder if jetBlue has a civil suit against him for the cost related to event. That punishment might be far worse then sitting in jail for a few months.

NIKV69
2010-10-19, 03:52 PM
Not so sure, his TV deal fizzled and nobody is really after this guy. With a historical election and the miners his 15 mins is basically up.

NLovis
2010-10-19, 04:18 PM
Not so sure, his TV deal fizzled and nobody is really after this guy. With a historical election and the miners his 15 mins is basically up.

Yea. He will have a hard time finding a job though. He should have just quit like everybody else. Then he would be able to get a job that much easier. Especally with the economy as it is