PDA

View Full Version : New Digs for Delta at JFK

NYCA News
2010-08-05, 10:50 PM
The Port Authority gives one of the largest airlines in the world the green light for a $1.2 billion terminal overhaul project set to take up to five years.
http://feeds.feedburner.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E4/VZqDjq_BBts

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/nycaviation/%7E3/VZqDjq_BBts/)

Speedbird1
2010-08-06, 05:39 AM
I heard 2 different reports about the new Delta Terminal and one is very distressing. One report, which I hope is untrue, says the entire Terminal 3 (Pan Am Terminal) will be demolished and the space will be used for aircraft to park. All Delta aircraft will then use the new extensions to Terminal 4 and there will be no Terminal 3 at all. If true, gone would be that distinctive facade that formerly had the lettering "Pan Am". This would be heartbreaking for all those spotters like myself who spent countless hours atop the Pan Am rooftop parking watching aircraft. I was hoping that one day the roof would re-open to spotters (LOL) but still I had hope. The second report I heard was that Terminal 3 would not be demolished but re-furbished with added gate facilities. I hope the latter is true. This is sad news for all Pan Am fans and the lost memories if the terminal is demolished. JFK would never look the same without Terminal 3's facade. Maybe it could be declared a city landmark since the original architect is notable.

Speedbird1
2010-08-06, 05:50 AM
According to Wikipedia, the news is very sad. Delta will demolish Terminal 3, the old Pan Am Worldport built back in 1960 with a "flying saucer" overhanging roof. They will move all operations to Terminal 4. I can't even visit T3 as you need a boarding pass to visit the 2nd floor departure area. I spent countless hours there watching SAA, SIA, AMX, AFL, SWR, Avianca, ANA and others taxying to their gates back in the 80's and 90's. The Rooftop Parking was closed after the terrible Lockerbie bombing over Scotland and never re-opened.

eric8669
2010-08-06, 08:15 AM
The rooftop parking lot was open well into the late 90's. I didn't get my license until 95 and I drove up to that lot several times either to watch planes or pickup passengers. Actually I was up there as late as 2000, I parked up there and was still able to walk the terminal. I will always remember walking to the very end of the terminal and watching the Concorde depart on 22R, the glass would rattle as she went by, it was great.

Speedbird1
2010-08-07, 06:21 AM
I stand to be corrected, the Rooftop Parking was opened after the Lockerbie bombing but a double-fence was built so it was impossible to take photos as before. Do you recall when the roof was finally closed completely?