PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the New Forums!

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-03, 01:56 AM
Welcome to the new forums! Please have a look around and explore! We really hope that you all enjoy the new features that the board now has to offer.

We hope the new password change wasn't too rough, but security was the name of the game in the switch. There are still a few more tweaks to makes and things that we need to add, but we're excited to get you folks up and running. I hope you agree that it's cleaner looking, and gives you many more options with ease for you to enjoy throughout whole place.

Aside from the password change, the only other hiccup we experienced is that everyone will need to re-upload their avatars. It's one thing that we just could not carry over.

On an up-side, the JetPhotos.net BBcode now works! So please feel free to post JP thumbs whenever you'd like! We'll also soon make a post that will walk you through all of the new features for a more formal tour.

Let us know if you come across any problems or unwanted differences with the new forums. Also, if you have suggestions in ANY WAY that you think would make this place better...don't be shy to email! We have much more technological freedom here with vBulletin.

Thanks everyone! Tella yoo frends!

Phil and Matt

Derf
2010-08-03, 10:08 AM
Is there any way of getting my old Avatar back? It took me like an hour to make that stupid thing!
LOVIN the new forum

puckstopper55
2010-08-03, 10:57 AM
is there a link to view "all active topics", like in the old forums? I think all it did was thread all topics across the entire site and ordered them by latest post. Thanks for the help

Futterman
2010-08-03, 11:04 AM
Real spiffy! This is actually the second forum I frequent to move to this format in just a matter of weeks. Thought it looked kind of familiar.

The social media linking is stellar. If this is "the future", I can't wait to see what's next.

B

PS - You need to get the snarky member labels back up STAT. "Singing in the light rain, mist"...

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-03, 01:08 PM
Derf, most people will need to re-upload their avatars....one of the few things we had a tough time with.

Puckstopper, the "What's New" in the navbar on the upper left will list all new posts since your last visit.

Futt, we're going to be coming up with old and new ranks.

george
2010-08-03, 01:17 PM
Great job with the new forum! :biggrin:

Derf
2010-08-03, 02:12 PM
Is there any way of getting my old Avatar back? It took me like an hour to make that stupid thing!
LOVIN the new forum

Phil, I found the file and no longer need you to send it. If you put any effort into finding it, Thank You very much for your time. Very happy to have found it! WAHOO!!!

billv
2010-08-03, 02:12 PM
Well done, Phil and crew. I like it. The new avatar requirements were a minor challenge...couldn't get the new smaller size (150px) down to under 39.1kb without greatly compressing the image. I'm just not used to saving images at a PS setting of 6 or 7 :smile:

seahawks7757
2010-08-03, 02:55 PM
Hey Phil I can't get the Facebook Connect to work.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-03, 03:08 PM
It's just not connecting you're saying? Are you already logged in on Facebook?

AirtrafficController
2010-08-03, 04:19 PM
I wish the bubble icons would have more contrasting colors between read and unread like the previous forum. Otherwise, the design and function is enjoyable.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-03, 04:23 PM
I agree, Luke. We're actually creating custom ones!

Glad you folks like it so far, and thanks for your patience. This is just the first of many new things coming your way over the coming months. In fact, this is the only one that would bring us any challenge, as we had to upgrade is while it is currently active and evolving daily.

Matt Molnar
2010-08-03, 05:53 PM
Hey Phil I can't get the Facebook Connect to work.
What happened when you tried? And were you using Safari by chance? (I had some problems with it in Safari today, other browsers seem to work fine).

imported_adscram14
2010-08-03, 06:52 PM
How do I get the imported off of my username?? Thanks!

adscram14
2010-08-03, 06:57 PM
I have no idea how I managed to do that. Never mind!

Gerard
2010-08-03, 08:01 PM
Nice job. Like anything new it'll take a few times to get comfortable with it. BTW is there a link for "My Posts" like the old forum?
Thanks.

mirrodie
2010-08-03, 08:51 PM
I like it. Mazel mazel, baby, good things ggod things

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-08-03, 09:49 PM
I love the new look but I have a minor suggestion.

I just noticed that the word c0ckpit is blocked by the default word filter and since this is an aviation themed site I think it should be tweaked a little.:wink:

Also I miss the borat icon.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-03, 10:07 PM
Cockpit.

Fixed. :)

seahawks7757
2010-08-04, 04:59 AM
disregard. It works now.

Derf
2010-08-07, 09:59 AM
this is my most used button...I keep on trying to look at the forum activity and see posts that I posted in are not there. PLEASE can we get this feature back? I am missing many posts and the New Posts up at the top does not bring up all new posts. I posted in 2 posts this am and they can not be found unless I go to the specific forum to search it out. I can not imagine how many posts I am missing. For me this issue is a major one :frown:

eric8669
2010-08-07, 11:07 AM
this is my most used button...I keep on trying to look at the forum activity and see posts that I posted in are not there. PLEASE can we get this feature back? I am missing many posts and the New Posts up at the top does not bring up all new posts. I posted in 2 posts this am and they can not be found unless I go to the specific forum to search it out. I can not imagine how many posts I am missing. For me this issue is a major one :frown:

Same issue. very very frustrating.

Matt Molnar
2010-08-07, 02:44 PM
Looking into this. It's related to the search function, which also isn't working properly yet.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-07, 06:37 PM
The navigation bar up top will soon have both the "Whats New" and the "Active Topics" soon. I used that button the same way and it's already in the works.

As we've said, we wanted to get the forums live to beat some issues we had on the previous forum, and we will be steadily tweaking as we adjust.

Also, some people have mentioned to me that they are experiencing a little confusion about which threads are read or unread, pertaining to how the pages are viewed. We are currently making new icons to make the unread ones stand out more, and will also make the thread titles in bold, just like on the old forums, so that they can be read more easily.

Problems or suggestions....please keep them coming! Thank you all for the help, support and patience.

Derf
2010-08-08, 09:52 AM
Thank you for all your hard work, Forum looks great and with you two on top of things (as usual) I am sure the function will come soon enough. Congrats on a job well done.
P.S. Good luck trying to fix all the search functions and the link that I asked for....to say that sounds like a crappy job is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I Sir Owe you a beer.... You too Phil!

Matt Molnar
2010-08-08, 02:07 PM
P.S. Good luck trying to fix all the search functions and the link that I asked for....to say that sounds like a crappy job is an UNDERSTATEMENT.
It's actually supposed to work with one click...but apparently that's easier said than done. :smile:

Gerard
2010-08-08, 07:27 PM
I miss the "New Posts/Your Posts" links at the top of the board on the right. Easy access. Right now I can barely find my old posts and if you post something new to an old topic it used
to be the top "New Post" but now you can barely find it.
But I know the board continues to be tweaked.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-08, 09:16 PM
I miss the "New Posts/Your Posts" links at the top of the board on the right. Easy access. Right now I can barely find my old posts and if you post something new to an old topic it used
to be the top "New Post" but now you can barely find it.
But I know the board continues to be tweaked.

As mentioned in several replies just above yours, that's one thing that we are working on right now. Soon soon.

Gerard
2010-08-08, 09:42 PM
As mentioned in several replies just above yours, that's one thing that we are working on right now. Soon soon.

I know...patience patience. :smile:

Matt Molnar
2010-08-08, 10:21 PM
Search and "view my posts" should be working now.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-08, 11:48 PM
We've made two adjustments so that the forums and thread listings are more easily-read. First, we made all thread titles bold so you cna read them among the other text around it, which is similar to the old forum.

Second, we changed the icons to indicate read/unread threads. If it's unread, it is red. Read is gray.

The icons also have other features to them. If you see a green dot in the icon, it means that you have posted in that thread at some point in the past. If the plane in the icon has contrails, it means that it is a "hot" thread that has more than 400 views.

Let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

AirtrafficController
2010-08-08, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the nice additions!:biggrin:

USAF Pilot 07
2010-08-09, 11:19 PM
Second, we changed the icons to indicate read/unread threads. If it's unread, it is red. Read is gray.

Best change so far to the new forum IMO!

Derf
2010-08-10, 11:43 AM
AWESOME!!!! Thank You for Latest posts!!!!!!

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-10, 01:35 PM
The Latest Posts is still the same thing as Whats New, but with the completed search function, we'll be able to as a "Active Topics" tab that we are used to from the old forums.

MarkLawrence
2010-08-14, 12:27 PM
Something I've noticed - when you start a new thread, no matter how you capitalize the thread title, it is changed to first letter capital, the rest lower case e.g. KFLL becomes Kfll - is this a setting that can be changed?

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-15, 08:41 AM
Yes, no problem. I thought this was fixed already by adjusting the setting to prevent all caps posting, but if it's still not, I'll just disable it altogether. Sorry!

MarkLawrence
2010-08-15, 06:38 PM
Something else I've just noticed - this is minor for sure - but - at the bottom of the pages, the icon legend images are showing as broken - this is on the forum index and each forums index page.

Gerard
2010-08-18, 10:16 PM
Mmmm, maybe its me but in the "Old" Forum when you posted something it would jump to the top of the "New Posts" list no matter when the
Original Thread started. I just posted something in the "News and Aircraft Visitors" Forum and cant find it in either the "Latest" of "New" Posts areas. It
is the first post though in the "News and..." Forum. And the thread about the "Thunderbirds at the Intrepid" I cant even find in the "New" and "Latest" areas.
Is it my settings? Thanks.

Derf
2010-08-18, 10:24 PM
It's actually supposed to work with one click...but apparently that's easier said than done. :smile:

And it takes this long??? That must be one hell of a button!!!! :wink:

I know that if it is not fixed by now it must be more difficult than any of us could imagine! Thanks for your continued efforts to try and fix the bug. Cheers and I now owe
you a few beers!

Matt Molnar
2010-08-19, 12:14 AM
Just so I'm clear, you want a button to click that will automatically display all the threads you have posted in, is that right?

For now, if you click "Quick Links > Subscribed Threads" at the top, this will show all the threads you've posted in. (By default, you are subscribed to any thread you post in).

We will try to make this more obvious in the navbar soon.

moose135
2010-08-19, 01:02 AM
Mmmm, maybe its me but in the "Old" Forum when you posted something it would jump to the top of the "New Posts" list no matter when the
Original Thread started. I just posted something in the "News and Aircraft Visitors" Forum and cant find it in either the "Latest" of "New" Posts areas. It
is the first post though in the "News and..." Forum. And the thread about the "Thunderbirds at the Intrepid" I cant even find in the "New" and "Latest" areas.
Is it my settings? Thanks.
From what I've seen (Phil or Matt can correct me if I'm wrong) it looks like the New Posts function only shows posts you have not opened yet. Once you view it, it no longer shows up in the list of new posts, even if it was posted since your last visit. If you wrote it, you viewed it, and it is no longer a "New" post. The old board showed everything since your last visit, with unread posts highlighted. I preferred that format.

Gerard
2010-08-19, 09:03 AM
The old board showed everything since your last visit, with unread posts highlighted. I preferred that format.

Me too. Thanks John.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-19, 09:36 AM
What John described is the "Active Topics" button from the old forums, which is what we'd like to incorporate here. It's slightly complicated as a proper search result needs to be saved into a button that appears as such. But we're on it.

Derf
2010-08-19, 10:22 AM
:biggrin:

Matt Molnar
2010-08-20, 12:12 AM
Okay guys, I think I found the solution and you get to play beta testers. If this does what you want it to do, I'll add it to the navbar. Please try it out an let me know if it's doing what you want it to do...

CLICK HERE FOR ALL THREADS THAT HAVE POSTS SINCE YOUR LAST VISIT (http://nycaviation.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3495)

moose135
2010-08-20, 12:32 AM
Didn't work, Matt. I came to the forum, clicked on "New Posts" and got a list of 7 threads, including this one. I opened 5 of the 7 in new tabs (Win Vista, Firefox 3.5.2 BTW). When I clicked on the link your post, I got the message: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Matt Molnar
2010-08-20, 01:52 AM
Okay, let's try this again.

View Active Topics (http://nycaviation.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3510)

moose135
2010-08-20, 01:12 PM
Same result Matt - "New Posts" showed 4 threads, I opened each, and when I came here and clicked on your "View Active Topics" link, I got the same "Sorry..." message. I don't know if it matters, but I don't use the "Log Out" button when I leave the forum, I simply close the browser tab/window.

Matt Molnar
2010-08-20, 04:29 PM
And one more time, I think this is the winner:

View Active Topics (http://nycaviation.com/forum/search.php?do=getdaily&days=7)

This should work even if you're not logged in.

moose135
2010-08-20, 07:49 PM
That looks much better, Matt. It gave me a list of topics - actually a couple of pages...looks like it probably goes back to the last time I logged out then back in again. I'll log out this time, and log back in later tonight and let you know how it looks.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-20, 08:19 PM
The link above is set to show ALL posts over the past 7 days. The one that we apply to a button on top of the page will probably have more time like 2 to 4 weeks over the pages.

Derf
2010-08-20, 08:32 PM
Wahhhoooooo! This is it!!!! :cool::biggrin:

Gerard
2010-08-21, 09:47 AM
Good job there.

seahawks7757
2010-08-22, 04:25 AM
Ok a new problem just developed. So when I go and read 1 unread topic in a section, I return to the main screen and now it shows everything has been read so I can't see what I still haven't seen.

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-22, 10:46 AM
Ok a new problem just developed. So when I go and read 1 unread topic in a section, I return to the main screen and now it shows everything has been read so I can't see what I still haven't seen.

i've tried several things and cannot seem to replicate what you describe. If it happens again, or if others experience it, please let me know.

Matt Molnar
2010-08-26, 12:06 AM
*drumroll*

The long awaited "View Active Topics" is now a fat button at the top of the page, along with some other goodies.

Thanks everyone for your help and your patience!

PhilDernerJr
2010-08-27, 08:00 AM
Though our work on the forums will never be complete, and there are features that we're still working on implementing, the initial switch to our new home here is complete. Please let us know if you have any issues at this point!