View Full Version : Port Authority in Parking Fees Fight

emshighway
2010-07-18, 12:15 PM
NY Daily News:

Port Authority in parking fees fight, tries to force competitors to pay them
BY Sam Levin

DAILY NEWS WRITER
Sunday, July 18th 2010, 4:00 AM

The Port Authority is staring down independent parking lot owners, demanding the thriving businesses pay for the privilege of operating near area airports.

The PA, which operates Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark airports, fired off a letter in March to nearly 30 off-airport parking businesses. They want them to fork over an "annual fee" of $200 per parking space.

:arrow: Article continued at NY Daily News..... (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/18/2010-07-18_parking_lot_money_grab_pa_squeezing_biz_owners_ at_area_airports.html)

PhilDernerJr
2010-07-18, 04:24 PM
I'm confused. What authority does Port have to put such a fee on anyone that is not on their property? Are they private or government? It's like they go back and forth depending on what best-benefits them each day.

If I were a parking lot owner, I'd tell them to suck it and work out something for the shuttle service. Will Port then start charging fees to diners and all sorts of other businesses that strive off of being close to the airport? Similarly, will Port start planting trees in surrounding towns to help clean the air that is dirtied by the aircraft?

Unreal.

cancidas
2010-07-18, 04:31 PM
I'm confused. What authority does Port have to put such a fee on anyone that is not on their property? Are they private or government? It's like they go back and forth depending on what best-benefits them each day.

exactly the case!

USAF Pilot 07
2010-07-18, 05:04 PM
They're just pissed that these lots near the airports are undercutting the outrageous rates the PANYNJ charges in their respective lots, and are probably hoping that they can strike a deal with these lot owners.
The next thing you know they will be cracking down on the shuttle buses these lots operate to shuttle clients to and from the independent lots and hitting them with ridiculous violations...

emshighway
2010-07-18, 07:27 PM
If the PANYNJ can find a way of sucking money out of it, they will.

Hmm, flights come over my house on their way in to LGA. I think I'll go in tomorrow and demand a fly over fee from the Airport Manager. :)

puckstopper55
2010-07-19, 09:23 AM
They're just pissed that these lots near the airports are undercutting the outrageous rates the PANYNJ charges in their respective lots, and are probably hoping that they can strike a deal with these lot owners.
The next thing you know they will be cracking down on the shuttle buses these lots operate to shuttle clients to and from the independent lots and hitting them with ridiculous violations...

This is exactly what the article said and even went as far as saying it will be considered Criminal Trespass.

This is insane! Technically everyone that gets a ride to, and dropped off at the airport is using a shuttle (even if you own it and have your wife drive you, or have a friend drop you off), so shouldn't they set up toll booths?! This is just to over the top, that I find it hard to believe people haven't given the TA backlash .. yet.

T-Bird76
2010-07-19, 11:16 AM
[so shouldn't they set up toll booths?!

Hey.....don't give them any ideas....

NLovis
2010-07-19, 12:08 PM
Outragious. I know the port is money hungry but demanding fees from companies off property???? That has to cross some lines. They have no say in off property business. People talk about BP more concerned with mney over safety they need to look at the port as well. They revolve around making every $ they can get their greedy hands on. They want to make that much money at least spend more to make the airports look better.

mirrodie
2010-07-19, 09:19 PM
Financially, the Port Authority has no power to tax and does not receive tax money from any local or state governments. It operates on the revenues it makes from its rents, tolls, fees, and facilities

THat said, I just dont know what legal grounds they have to force such a fee.

I
f I were a parking lot owner, I'd tell them to suck it

WEll done!! Soulds like none other than Diego Maradona! :borat: