View Full Version : Canada formally commits to buy 65 F-35s

cancidas
2010-07-17, 10:55 AM
from Flight Global:

DATE:17/07/10
SOURCE:Flight International
Canada formally commits to buy 65 F-35s
By Stephen Trimble

The Canadian government formally committed today to buy 65 Lockheed Martin F-35s six years ahead of first delivery in order to qualify national industry to bid for more work in the multi-national programme.

Since the first aircraft will arrive in 2016, the commitment by Ottawa does not need to be sealed by a contract until at least 2013.

By then, Lockheed expects the F-35 to be approaching peak production rates, with one aircraft delivered every working day.

Canadian officials have valued the cost of the acquisition at C$9 billion ($8.5 billion), or about C$138 million per aircraft, including engines, weapons and sensors.
http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=34374

more here: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/article.aspx?liArticleID=344563&PrinterFriendly=true

seahawks7757
2010-07-18, 01:15 AM
Ah the F-35 is ok but I would still take the F-22. Such a amazing aircraft. And the F-35 is still in the very very early design stages. At least with the F-22 you can get them almost right away.

cancidas
2010-07-18, 02:50 PM
Ah the F-35 is ok but I would still take the F-22. Such a amazing aircraft. And the F-35 is still in the very very early design stages. At least with the F-22 you can get them almost right away.
isn't there an export ban on the F-22? last i heard israel can't even get them and if they can't have them, nobody can...

puckstopper55
2010-07-19, 09:32 AM
isn't there an export ban on the F-22? last i heard israel can't even get them and if they can't have them, nobody can...

You are 100% correct. Congress wont let us sell them to anyone, including Australia, who specifically made a request for them.

I am pretty sure the F-35 is way beyond the very very early design stages. I believe its pretty much finalized, and just undergoing testing on the different variants.

Matt Molnar
2010-07-19, 11:27 AM
I am pretty sure the F-35 is way beyond the very very early design stages. I believe its pretty much finalized, and just undergoing testing on the different variants.
If I'm not mistaken, there are at least half a dozen test aircraft flying around.

Altitude9
2010-07-20, 07:12 AM
Nova did a great documentry on the race of the F-35. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it. For those of you who have Netflix, - it's on "Watch it now".