PDA

View Full Version : Tasteless Banner in Home Depot Farmingdale

T-Bird76
2010-07-16, 02:07 PM
So just a little while ago I was in the Home Depot in Farmingdale, NY which sits right next to Republic airport. While I was checking out I glance up to a banner they have celebrating their store and noticed the rather interesting innuendo depicting a plane with flames coming out of the tail section nose diving towards the very same Home Depot outlined in the banner. Maybe it’s just me but do you see anything really stupid and tasteless about this banner? Oh when I asked for a manager the associates said “What kind of manager?” I responded one that can answer why a banner showing an airliner with flames from the tail is nose diving towards this very same Home Depot.” I really wanted to say something else but I try to be polite and respectful in my interactions with fellow humans. According to Home Depot they said the intent was to recognize the airport.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/Homedepotfarm.jpg

SpeedDemon88X
2010-07-16, 02:19 PM
I too have seen that very same banner. I also found it too be in bad taste. Recognizing the airport? Should be taken down immediately IMO.

GrummanFan
2010-07-16, 03:17 PM
All they need to do is remove the airplane with flames and it would be fine.

T-Bird76
2010-07-16, 03:32 PM
All they need to do is remove the airplane with flames and it would be fine.

Exactly my point to them. How does a Store Manager allow such a thing???

cancidas
2010-07-16, 04:30 PM
it's not flames, it's an afterburner!!

signed,
home depot clueless manager

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-07-16, 05:16 PM
That banner is disgusting.

mirrodie
2010-07-16, 05:52 PM
it's not flames, it's an afterburner!!

signed,
home depot clueless manager

Roger maverick, hit the eject button.

signed, Goose

Seriously, I dont even see anything remotely funny or comedic about it. Unless there is some inside joke (however tasteless) I still dont get it.

emshighway
2010-07-16, 05:59 PM
Looks like it is made out of felt which burns quickly...

They should be careful.

Tom_Turner
2010-07-16, 07:41 PM
My guess would be someone saw a "connection" because there is a war-bird collection at FRG, so somehow the "theme" is ok. Doesn't quite "work" I realize, but just trying to understand.... They should probably take it down.

T-Bird76
2010-07-16, 07:49 PM
Update and over 100 hate emails from people on Facebook and Fark...God I really love hate mail...I honestly do. The banner has been removed from the store.

mirrodie
2010-07-16, 08:57 PM
Seriously, if they just actually had someone with some sense of artistic vision, they probably COULD have made it look like a few warbirds staging a dogfight and even then it might look cute and draw one's attention to the Museum, hence a win-win.

TOm, you spend too much time looking up. Been there too many times, never saw this. Where was it?

T-Bird76
2010-07-16, 11:07 PM
Seriously, if they just actually had someone with some sense of artistic vision, they probably COULD have made it look like a few warbirds staging a dogfight and even then it might look cute and draw one's attention to the Museum, hence a win-win.

TOm, you spend too much time looking up. Been there too many times, never saw this. Where was it?

Its gone now Mario, they took it down per the phone call I got from the their District Manager who I feel truly thought it was in bad taste. He even admited seeing it and never thought to much into it until it was brought to light, I beleive him.

puckstopper55
2010-07-19, 09:40 AM
I would think that its some kind of inside joke between employees. Maybe they are always joking around about a flaming plane will crash into the store or something. A bad joke to even talk about, but to put up a banner .. totally tasteless

Matt Molnar
2010-07-20, 11:27 AM
This thread got a shout out on Consumerist!

This Home Depot Banner Upsets Customers For Some Reason: http://consumerist.com/2010/07/this-hom ... eason.html (http://consumerist.com/2010/07/this-home-depot-banner-upsets-customers-for-some-reason.html)

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-07-20, 12:23 PM
Seems like a lot of people disagree with T-bird on this one. Here is my comment because I doubt it'll get approved:

I think some of you guys are missing the point. Republic Airport which is located right next to that Home Depot has had mishaps just like any other airport that have seriously injured and killed people. Also a lot of people who post on that forum work in that area or visit that Home Depot or the surrounding stores in that shopping center, and the thought of a burning plane coming down killing the 1,000's of shoppers isn't even remotely funny. As others suggested in that thread if they removed the flames from that aircraft there would be nothing wrong with that banner and I agree with them 100%. I think it was in poor taste and possibly poor judgment that the Home Depot employee's that made that banner added flames to that aircraft.

And why is the title of this article: "This Home Depot Banner Upsets Customers For Some Reason"? Does Chris Walters find no problem with a plane crashing into a building or am I missing something?

Big Tim #70
2010-07-20, 01:12 PM
I don't know if this warrants outrage. It looks like someone is a bit of a dope. Take the burning plane off the banner & it's not a big deal.

PhilDernerJr
2010-07-20, 01:33 PM
I agree. I don't think anyone is "outraged". As the original post says...stupid and tasteless...very accurate.

T-Bird76
2010-07-22, 04:02 PM
Seems like a lot of people disagree with T-bird on this one. Here is my comment because I doubt it'll get approved:

Eh trust me I don't care if people agree with me or not...most of the comments that involve uneducated rubbish is just that and doesn't warrant response, in fact I feel bad for those people. The one common thing I've read from these loons is..."why do I give a damn?" and "who is this observant in life?" I think to answer that the second is more relevant to me...part of my professional career is to be observant and correct things that are not right. The other why I give a damn is because I do...Phil and Mario know me a long time and knows how out spoken I can be, I also know that Phil and Mario are out spoken which is probably why we get along. However I'd rather know someone who is outspoken and can speak their mind in an intelligent manner vs. someone who chooses to be blind to things in life....those are the kind of people who let others walk the innocent into gas chambers.