PDA

View Full Version : No Free Posters

Speedbird1
2010-07-13, 08:25 AM
Remember when the airlines sent us free posters in the mail just by asking? Those days are gone. I managed to get a poster of the new Qantas A380 flying over Sydney last year when I visited the Australian Navy ship anchored here in NYC when the new ship USS New York visited. I used to get free Concorde posters and 747 posters just by asking. I thought I had a poster of the SIA "Tropical" B744 but I can't find it. I was unable to get posters of the ANA "Pokemon" B744 or the Alitalia "Baci" B744 but they're in my memory only. Sadly, even travel agents which haven't gone out-of-business don't get these posters.

coachrowsey
2010-07-13, 11:16 AM
I also use to get so much stuff. Now 9/11 is the excuse for it all.

Idlewild
2010-07-13, 12:28 PM
Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, I would go to the airline address section of my JP Airlines Fleet Book and send requests asking for postcards, pictures and wings. I had a treasure trove going on in my room. What was really cool, was walking around JFK and LGA, in the terminals, when I was spotting, and being allowed in the cockpits just for the asking. On top of that, usually they'd let me roam the aircraft and take wings, pins, postcards and so on. The Manhattan offices, especially those oddball/rare airlines were the feathers in the cap. I noticed the the perks dwindling around 1985 when Pan Am and the NY/NJPA wrapped chain link around the PAA Rooftop. I wonder if I still have my 1980 Official Olympic Aeroflot Postcards...

Speedbird1
2010-07-14, 06:27 AM
They really allowed you on aircraft just by asking? In those days, they gladly gave-out printed timetables, luggage tags. At EWR, I was fascinated by People Express B747 so I asked the ticket agent if I could walk around and take photos after everybody de-planed. She gave me a hard time but finally agreed. I also got to sit in the cockpit of Concorde G-BOAB courtesy of the BA Duty Manager Jon Wildberg. He even gave me a Concorde menu with a blue tassle. Did you also sign-up for frequent flyer cards? Most airlines sent me attractive cards in the mail just by signing-up. Nowadays, you must make several flights before receiving your card. The PanAm Rooftop Parking was the best ever. It closed right after the PA 103 bombing. One of my students lost his dad in that flight so I befriended him and showed him photos I took of Clipper "Maiden of the Seas".

rampnightmare
2010-07-16, 02:51 AM
POKEMON poster ? here we go... :)

http://img7.hostingpics.net/pics/446966ANA_747_481_D__POKEMON.jpg

??? BOEING B747-481D (JA 8957) ???????????
???????ANA???????????????????????

Michel

http://cloudpainter.canalblog.com/

Speedbird1
2010-07-20, 06:11 AM
Great shot of the Pokemon 744 Japanese version but again I don't think this is from an actual poster given-out by ANA. While it would have made a great poster, my point is that the public can't get free aircraft posters anymore. One exception though, I got a poster of the new Qantas A380 flying over the Australian desert. I thought I had a poster of the SIA B744 "Tropical" but I can't find it so maybe I just imagined such a poster. The aircraft has been retired.

ISP Pilot
2010-07-30, 05:23 PM
The PanAm Rooftop Parking was the best ever. It closed right after the PA 103 bombing.
I remember visiting the rooftop parking after DL took over. Definitely after 103 but before 9/11. There was a security camera positioned to take a picture of you as you took your parking stub. It was also possible to walk around the DL terminal (again after 9/11) by going through security. The last time I was there for spotting and not to take a DL flight was when Air Jamaica and Saudia used to operate out of T2/3.

I also used to write to or visit the airline ticket offices and ask for timetables. I was so jealous in grammar school when the grade below us took a field trip to LGA, visited EA operations and being able to go on board a 727. At the time I wish I was 'left back' so I could've gone on the trip! :)

727C47
2010-07-31, 08:21 PM
5th ave,midtown was a treasure trove of airline offices back in the 60's-70's,with everybody from Air Afrique,to Viasa (Venezuela),sporting a big DC-8,707,or 747 in their respective liveries in the front window,with colorful brochures,and timetables free for the asking. Heaven !

Idlewild
2010-07-31, 09:32 PM
They really allowed you on aircraft just by asking? In those days, they gladly gave-out printed timetables, luggage tags. At EWR, I was fascinated by People Express B747 so I asked the ticket agent if I could walk around and take photos after everybody de-planed. She gave me a hard time but finally agreed. I also got to sit in the cockpit of Concorde G-BOAB courtesy of the BA Duty Manager Jon Wildberg. He even gave me a Concorde menu with a blue tassle. Did you also sign-up for frequent flyer cards? Most airlines sent me attractive cards in the mail just by signing-up. Nowadays, you must make several flights before receiving your card. The PanAm Rooftop Parking was the best ever. It closed right after the PA 103 bombing. One of my students lost his dad in that flight so I befriended him and showed him photos I took of Clipper "Maiden of the Seas".

Nah! No Frequent Flyer Clubs. I was a BA Junior Jet Club member though. And yes, just for the asking. The Captain or whoever was in charge, most of the times, would allow me to sit in one of the seats and allow me to work the stick and rudder. It was even cooler of the aircraft was parked in front of big plate glass which cast an almost mirror like reflection. Then I could see the all the surfaces move. Buttons, throttles, switches and the like were strictly off limits. I will take your word that it officially closed after PA103. For me however, I stopped going when they put up the chicken wire.