PDA

View Full Version : LGA and JFK runway usage tomorrow (6/28), Brookville safety?

Tis
2010-06-27, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone,

my name's Tis Meyer and I'm an aviation photographer from Switzerland (see my website, http://www.planepics.org for some of my work). I'm currently staying in Manhattan, and since I've finished the sightseeing part a bit early, there's space for spotting tomorrow.
So please excuse the very short notice on my questions :-)

Now I've plowed through the extremely helpful threads and spotting guides here (thanks also for the BOS one by the way) and I think I figured out what I'll do tomorrow: Morning at LGA's A (or B) depending on runway usage, afternoon at JFK's Mounds (Point B).

And here come the questions:

1) Are there any usual runway operating schemes at both airports (what's used for takeoff/landing, what for heavies/mediums)? Accuweather predicts winds from the SW for all of tomorrow. I am aware of the 31L closure in JFK, so according to the graphics posted in the news article, I assume at least one of the 22s will be used for landings tomorrow? Any ideas how LGA will most likely operate?

2) For the mounds, instead of embarking on a bus adventure, I'd love to take the LIRR train to Laurelton and walk from there. That's only a mile - I just walked 3 miles accross Portland/ME with a 40lbs backpack on, so it really is a piece of cake. However, as a NY first-timer I'm a little afraid of getting in the wrong neighbourhoods with my expensive camera equipment. While Brookville looks quite pleasant on Google Street View, I just want to make sure: Is it reasonably safe to walk there alone in the afternoon/evening before sunset? I'm fully aware that these questions may sound a little silly, and I don't mean to offend anyone - but since New York's image in Europe is mainly created by tales of gangster rappers and scenes from CSI NY, I prefer to be a little cautious... :lol:

Anyway, I'd appreciate if you could help me with these questions. In case anyone would like to join me tomorrow, best send me a text to +41 79 517 09 68.
Passport will be on board of course, as well as a kind smile for any approaching officers.

Best regards,

Tis

PS: Three pics to say thanks in advance, I hope that's allowed

Phuket, Thailand
http://www.planepics.org/spotterbrowser/sp/2010/hkt0214/52.jpg

Rovaniemi, Finland
http://www.planepics.org/spotterbrowser/sp/2009/rvn1220/4.jpg

Aaand one from home, picture-perfect Switzerland
http://www.planepics.org/spotterbrowser/sp/2008/zrh0523/18.jpg

seahawks7757
2010-06-27, 07:49 PM
Wow those are some sweet shots! I live in Seattle so sorry but I can't be of much help.

chrisparypa
2010-06-27, 08:43 PM
Welcome aboard Tis

NY is not that bad like you see on CSI NY LOOOL so don't worry and yes you can walk. I never had any problem Mouds, bayswater or any other spot is pretty safe :)

About runways configurations: Best way to figure it out is call atis from your cell phone: JFK: 718 995 8188 an LGA: 718 478 6118 and Heavies, not Heavies everything will land on the runway in use :) For JFK configuration check guide posted by Phil: http://nycaviation.com/2010/03/01/jfk-r ... ive-guide/ (http://nycaviation.com/2010/03/01/jfk-runway-closure-your-definitive-guide/)

I have no idea what configuration is on LGA sorry. ATIS should tell you everything :)) If you have scanner... use it frequencies are posted here on NYCaviation.com in the Guide section

Also radars are helpful... sometimes lol
LGA: http://www4.passur.com/lga.html
JFk: http://www4.passur.com/jfk.html

Based on my experience on LGA (maybe dozen of times) RWY31 is used the most (?) but I believe you will find a lot of people with better LGA info than me.... one more time: ATIS....

I see a lot of good stuff on your website ! Wish you all the best and I hope you will catch something good here in NY. GOOD LUCK !!

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-27, 10:52 PM
Welcome, Tis! Looks like the other guys got your questions covered. Enjoy yourself out there!

Tis
2010-06-28, 12:54 AM
Hey guys,

wow, that was quick! Quick and helpful actually, thanks a lot!

The phone ATIS will be a great help. I do have my scanner with me, but I can't receive ATIS from my hotel room, and I'm not too keen on using the scanner in the bus/train to the airport.

Thanks also for the heads-up about Laurelton safety. Looks like it's going to be a perfect day of spotting tomorrow then!

I noticed there are some threads about Zurich here. If you have any more questions, have a look at the extensive spotting guide on my website (http://planepics.org/en/spot_zrh.html) and feel free to ask anything that's not been covered! Just note I will be travelling the US until mid-September, so till then, service will be a bit limited :-)

Yes, even if docking at Terminal E (which among others applies to all longhauls regardless if Swiss or foreign), one needs to shuttle to the main terminal, clear immigration and nearly exit the terminal complex to board the bus back to the observation deck. Also note that the directions you're facing up there are south towards Rwy28 (where medium sized planes depart) and west towards Rwy16 (where the heavies take off). Looking south is a no-go anyway, except veeery early in the morning. Looking west means it's usable only mornings. Luckily, this is when the heavy outbounds take place, too. However, for the second but biggest heavy outbound wave between 12-1:30LT, light's already moving to the other side of the runway. You might like to consider Spot Nr. 6 in my guide, Heligrill, which allows you to stand a few feet from the rotating point - including holes in the fence to stick your lens through.

http://planepics.org/imgs/zrhtitle3.jpg

By the way, security has never been an issue. Neither are spotters bothered by police (many airport police officers are spotters themselves), nor is the area around the airport in any way unsafe. Use of radio scanners is allowed (in contast to neighbouring Germany and Austria, beware!)

Best regards, and thanks also for your nice words on my website

Tis (just returned from Top of the Rock night shooting - fantastic!)

Matt Molnar
2010-06-28, 01:07 AM
Beautiful shots, Tis, and welcome aboard!

The neighborhood is pretty quiet so I wouldn't worry too much about that, but be advised that it will be quite warm tomorrow, around 95F...the nearest shops are a bit of a walk from the Mounds, so be sure to pick up some water and snacks before you get on the train.

Also, there are showers and thunderstorms in the forecast for late in the afternoon and not much shelter out there, so keep an eye on the weather conditions through your phone if you can.

Good luck, and have fun, looking forward to seeing your photos!

Delta777LR
2010-06-28, 09:39 AM
Tis welcome aboard, I called both LGA and JFK ATIS now, LGA is landing on 22, departing on 31... Not much to spot at LGA today unless u come to the Bronx where i can get u a 2 locations to spot the 22 landings, JFK is currently landing on 22L departing on 22R/ and west departures on 31R.. If u like to spot at the mounds, the best time to start there is around 2pm where the light will get better and u can get many heavys from there.. but as Matt said, bring snacks and water with you before you get on the train, the nearest store by the mounds is on 147 Av/228 St, about 4 or 5 blocks from the mounds, about a 10 minute walk.. and make sure u have bugspray with u, since they r many masquitos and tick that r around.. and watch out for a thunderstorm, since we r expecting one.. good luck out there, have a safe spotting day...

Tis
2010-06-28, 11:59 PM
Hey again,

thanks.
Yeah, listening to LGA ATIS this morning I quickly realized that obviously some force wanted me to do some more city sightseeing, since the runway setting really was the worst possible. So I skipped LGA alltogether and only went to JFK.
Worked out as planned, including the change of trains at Jamaica Station (love the name!). The walk down from Laurelton to the soccer pitch took 30min as anticipated. Neighbourhood is nice enough, the houses look pretty good, as do the cars parked there.

I stayed on the soccer pitch in order to avoid the ticks (as putting on long trousers definitely wasn't an option today). Got about two hours of inbounds, until the T-storm came and runways were changed. Was still a nice adventure, and at least I got some more impressions from NY than just heaps of skyscrapers :-)

Two pics - nothing to blow you away, and editing them on a netbook is like flying VFR in a snow storm: simply blind flying...

AF A380
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6547/69910378.jpg

LAN 767 with a nice backdrop
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/304/21819294.jpg

Best regards and thanks again for your help,

Tis

moose135
2010-06-29, 12:16 AM
Glad you were able to spend some time at the Mounds - that is a great shot with the LAN 767!

PS: Three pics to say thanks in advance, I hope that's allowed
Allowed? Are you kidding? Those were freaking amazing! You have some outstanding work on your site as well!

chrisparypa
2010-06-29, 05:32 PM
I very happy that you made it :P So tell us something more about your first NY experience ?? Not like in CSI NY huh ??

MarkLawrence
2010-06-29, 06:07 PM
Great shots Tis! And thanks for the info on ZRH. I will be there on August 5th (arriving from JNB early morning and leaving for MIA at lunchtime), so I am hoping to get out onto the spotting locations to get shots of ZRH. I have one question though - getting back into ZRH international - how long does it take on average to get through security and back to terminal E??

Dabbey
2010-06-29, 06:11 PM
Tis, It was great meeting you at the JFK Mounds yesterday and getting contact info for your website. I just looked at a few photos on Planepics.org and on your travelpod site. You are some photographer. Do you only use the lens that I saw you with (400mm) or do you carry another one when you don't need to zoom in so closely. You also posted some great photos here. The clouds look great in the back of the Lan Chile 767 Photo.

David Abbey
Queens Village, NY

Zee71
2010-06-29, 08:13 PM
Tis,

Fantastic images on your website. Sweet capture of the 767 with the clouds in the background. Just curious as to what equipment you're shooting with....one of the members mentioned a 400mm lens? Is that a 80-400mm or a 200-400mm?

By the way.........welcome aboard as well!

Tis
2010-06-30, 12:21 AM
Hey,

woow, thanks for your amazing feedback!

On New York
Hey, fishing for compliiments, ey?
well, New York City surely lived up to all the high expectations I had! And while I admit that I was slightly intimidated just by its name (probably the most popular city anywhere in the world you're living in here!), its grandeur and the TV-created reputation, looking back I wouldn't have had to worry. Given, I have visited multiple big Asian cities before, and they are a lot more chaotic, loud and noisy than NY. This means that I wouldn't have had any problems dealing with NYC even if it had been that way - but actually it was much easier to get along with. Navigation was a breeze (even if the subway system was slightly confusing at first), the density of sights simply amazing, and all the skyscrapers sure made for an impressive feel! Needless to say I felt safe everywhere I went (which was basically just the area between the southern tip of Manhattan and 50th street) - how couldn't you with so many other people around.
Of course, the two days I had (minus a half one used for spotting) never do the city justice and I barely scratched the surface of everything it has to offer. Yet I had an amazing stay and I can't wait to return as soon as possible!
Already in DC now, as my coast-to-coast trip continues. If you're interested, I'm keeping up a blog about this trip with daily entries. While the text is in german, I'm always including some pics, which I do hope speak for themselves. Navigation's in english at least.
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/tiszrh/2/tpod.html

(sorry for putting NYC in new jersey there on the map - was a bit late when I made it :-))
http://planepics.org/temp/ff/jun10/usa_map.jpg

Oh by the way - walking through Philly and DC today, they both seemed like small towns compared to Manhattan. You must be having that feeling each time you visit foreign cities! I do hope it goes away, though :-)

On ZRH

It depends with security at Terminal E. I have been through it in 3 minutes, and I have waited 45 minutes. Just be aware that between 9 and 10ish, and between 12 and 1:30PM there are about 10-15 heavies to depart from there, so lots of passengers. Of course more security staff as well. I'd calculate half an hour - if you're through quicker, you can take some shots through the windows or visit the souvenir shops. Also, I guess screening for US-flights is usually more thorough - meaning longer. Never took one from ZRH though

as you are only there in the morning, there is no point in leaving te airport area (except for point 9 in my guide, but that one's a looong way out and would need some planning). I guess the only option for you really is the observation deck on Terminal E. The spots on the west won't be any good before your departure.

If your arrival is very soon after 6am and your bags are checked through, you could dart to car park 3 in the terminal (lifts near the central food court) to get some nice approach shots. However, this rwy (34) is only in use til 7Am, afterwards arrivals switch to rwy14. So you'd have to be quick to get something there.

On lens
Body is a Canon 40D. Lenses are:
- Canon 100-400mm L IS for spotting - that's what all the JFK shots are with (one hell of a great lens!)
- Sigma 18-135 OS USM, with a polarizer filter when taking sightseeing shots - for shots like the Thomson in the snow and the VAustalia i didn't use the filter
Very happy with both. I ordered the 400mm at BHphoto in NYC years ago by the way :-))

Best regards and thanks again!
Tis