PDA

View Full Version : Recent War Movies?

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-24, 12:33 PM
I've been out of the loop for a while, but I know that over the past 5 years or so, that there have been some decent war movies. I just finished watching the John Adams series recently and am looking for more history/war stuff.

Can any of you folks tell me about Generation Kill or Band of Brothers?

I also recall seeing previews for a movie about a WW2 battle in the Pacific. Anyone know the name or if it was good?

What other good war movies or series came out that you suggest I check out?

(I did see Inglorious Bastards already.)

T-Bird76
2010-06-24, 01:35 PM
It was an HBO miniseries called "The Pacific", it was amazing!

Now to Inglorious Bastards...this was not a war movie, it was comic book story that was entirely historically inaccurate to a fault. I'm not saying it was not an enjoyable movie but a war movie...no it def was not a war movie in the same context as The Pacific or Band Of Brothers.

george
2010-06-24, 02:38 PM
It was an HBO miniseries called "The Pacific", it was amazing!

Now to Inglorious Bastards...this was not a war movie, it was comic book story that was entirely historically inaccurate to a fault. I'm not saying it was not an enjoyable movie but a war movie...no it def was not a war movie in the same context as The Pacific or Band Of Brothers.

I agree "The Pacific" was great!

Matt Molnar
2010-06-24, 03:38 PM
Generation Kill was awesome. Made by the same guys who made The Wire, which I think is the best TV show of all time. Also stars a few of the same actors.

The Pacific was also awesome, though I didn't see the last few episodes yet.

The Hurt Locker is worth a watch but it didn't deserve all the praise that it got.

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-24, 05:10 PM
Yes, The Pacific! That's what it was. Is it available on DVD yet?

T-Bird76
2010-06-25, 11:57 AM
Yes, The Pacific! That's what it was. Is it available on DVD yet?

Not sure...however what you can do is subscribe to HBO on demand for one month and watch it. That's what I did, it was 9 bucks for the month, I watched it and cancelled the subscription afterwards.

cancidas
2010-06-25, 09:35 PM
Generation Kill was awesome. Made by the same guys who made The Wire, which I think is the best TV show of all time. Also stars a few of the same actors.
agreed. i think i've got it memorized. i've read both Nate Fick's "One Bullet Away" and Evan Wright's "Generation Kill." the books were much better, but the film is great as well. phil, if you can get yuor hands on the books. i'll even lend them to you if you want.

The Hurt Locker is worth a watch but it didn't deserve all the praise that it got.
agreed! i think it gets closer to showing the effects of combat on soldiers.

also, i'm really into both The Unitand N.C.I.S. from NBC. even though they're just TV shows the character development of especially N.C.I.S. is great. The Unit is based off of Eric Haney's book "Inside Delta Force." Haney was a SFOD-Delta operator, though the show has taken a lot of cinematic license over what Delta really is.

Now to Inglorious Bastards...this was not a war movie, it was comic book story that was entirely historically inaccurate to a fault.

inacurate, yes but it was also much better made than the original!

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-06-25, 10:01 PM
The Hurt Locker was a decent war movie. I would say its worth watching.

eric8669
2010-06-25, 11:43 PM
My Grandfather who fought in the Pacific(Iowa Jima) did not like the HBO Series "The Pacific".

I have yet to see it, but you guys seem to like it.

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-26, 12:44 AM
Why didn't he like it?