PDA

View Full Version : jetBlue rep took my laptop & stupid TSA..

T-Bird76
2010-06-01, 11:09 AM
So taking a part from the recent story of the woman who said the TSA stole her Rolex, this morning at LGA I was going through security, put my laptop in the bin sent it through and WAMO its not on the other side. I had to wait to go through metal detector because some Tool decided not remove everything from his pockets....tiwce. I guess the first time the TSA rep said "sir you need to remove all the metal on you and put it through the scanner" was hard to understand.

So needless to say when I went to collect my laptop and saw it wasn’t there I was a bit freaked, it’s a company issued laptop and the idea of having to email my boss to tell her my laptop got clipped at the airport isn't what I wanted to do at 5:30 am. Anyway the real story here is the lack of urgency and the questioning from the TSA agents... To be blunt the TSA working the B gates this morning are flipping F$%King morons and should be fired.

The first defender of freedom goes to me.."Ah I don't see your laptop (no $hit skippy), are you sure you had it." Then he calls over Capt America who asks me, "Are you sure you had it..maybe you left it home, you look tired." WTF?????? Talk about wanting to take the closest blunt object and cracking it over their heads. As politely as I could I asked to speak with someone who has more than a 1st grade education...I don't think the two of them understood the insult. I mean really..I understand you’re dealing with 1000s of people a day but I can think of a million other ways to react to a passenger reporting a potential theft and what to ask them to perhaps track down the missing item.

After about 20 minutes of the Supervisor trying to review the cameras a jetBlue employee came back with my laptop apologizing for taking it. Their excuse was they thought it was a jetBlue laptop...I guess the "Henry Schein" business card I have stuck to the cover was hard to notice. Morale of the story…keep your eyes on your items like a hawk!!!! Once again this is EXACTLY why I put my wallet, watch, and phone zipped in my brief case.

mirrodie
2010-06-01, 12:39 PM
WAMO

Whammo.

"Are you sure you had it..maybe you left it home, you look tired."

That is completely uncalled for. I would have asked him, "What are you, an *******?", which is not a statement, but a question and far less insulting.

zipped in my brief case.

A briefcase? We don't need no stinkin' briefcases. :wink:

hiss srq
2010-06-01, 03:11 PM
Did you get a name on the JetBlue employee? I would file some form of a report. It sure sounds to me like the employee tried to gank it. Never trust anyone in a corperate uniform at LGA. They are scummy theives around there. Even those in suits.

USAF Pilot 07
2010-06-01, 05:18 PM
"Are you sure you had it..maybe you left it home, you look tired."

That is completely uncalled for. I would have asked him, "What are you, an *******?", which is not a statement, but a question and far less insulting.

And unfortunately these guys would have probably thrown him to the ground and/or slapped cuffs on him and detained him causing him to miss his flight, miss his meeting, look bad/questionable in front of his boss/company/peers etc (even if he was completely in the right). IMO, a lot of times I'd love to do "something", but sometimes there are just battles not worth fighting; as right as you may be.

The TSA is full of good, hardworking people; but is also mired by some lazy, incompetent individuals. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of them are not just at the NYC airports, but also down here in PHL. My experiences outside of this area of the country with the TSA has generally been pretty pleasurable though. Maybe it's an East Coast thing or something...

emshighway
2010-06-01, 07:17 PM
In defense of the TSA Officers (you knew this was coming) you would be surprised how many people claim an item was missing then remembering they left it home. Yes, even laptops!!

I was doing a reconfiguration of a checkpoint and a passenger who just came off a flight and already went through the exit insisted he left his phone on the plane. After several times asking he was sure it wasn't in his pocket and walking down to the gate for him, no phone was found. Well the guy then goes into his back pocket and guess what he came out with? He turned around and walked away without even a sorry or thank you. People do it all the time.

People also pick up items not their's by mistake and on purpose.

The camera system is new so the supervisors are getting use to it.

If you want to make a complaint please feel free to. PM me and I'll give you my email.

emshighway
2010-06-01, 07:20 PM
Did you get a name on the JetBlue employee? I would file some form of a report. It sure sounds to me like the employee tried to gank it. Never trust anyone in a corperate uniform at LGA. They are scummy theives around there. Even those in suits.

Especially those who work the towers :D

hiss srq
2010-06-01, 09:24 PM
LMAO I like to think of it as "Working Smart" in my case. Hahahaha

T-Bird76
2010-06-02, 11:41 AM
No need to file a complaint, I'd just look at it as a training opportunity where the TSA reps could have asked other questions that didn't accuse and make the passenger feel stupid. Also a sense of urgency and concern should have been displayed vs. the lack there of.

emshighway
2010-06-02, 06:24 PM
It's been sent up the line. When it happens a hundred times a day the sense of urgency is kind of hard to keep going.

My apologies

Mayi757
2010-06-02, 10:34 PM
While a normal reaction might be to worry and be upset, I actually feel bad for the TSA agent here. Hopefully he/she didn't have to deal with the attitude/arrogance you are boasting of and looking down at the job they do with this air of superiority.

"I asked to speak with someone who has more than a 1st grade education.."

This would explain the (totally expected) lack of sympathy from the agent or supervisor. Next time JetBlue guy might just keep the PC and donate it to the homeless.

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-03, 05:51 AM
While a normal reaction might be to worry and be upset, I actually feel bad for the TSA agent here. Hopefully he/she didn't have to deal with the attitude/arrogance you are boasting of and looking down at the job they do with this air of superiority.

"I asked to speak with someone who has more than a 1st grade education.."

This would explain the (totally expected) lack of sympathy from the agent or supervisor. Next time JetBlue guy might just keep the PC and donate it to the homeless.

I think Tommy was partly using this forum to vent on his understandably concerning travel experience. No one likes to be told that they have a first grade education, but when you think an expensive piece of equipment of yours is missing/stolen and the present authorities are not taking is seriously, I can certainly see that as a point of great frustration.

I hope we can all see both sides of that. :)

NIKV69
2010-06-03, 11:08 AM
It sure sounds to me like the employee tried to gank it.

I got to say I got the same impression, if this was true that he mistook yours for his, wouldn't his be on the belt?

T-Bird76
2010-06-03, 02:04 PM

I got to say I got the same impression, if this was true that he mistook yours for his, wouldn't his be on the belt?

He never even had one Nick, so how he thought it was his is beyond me.

mirrodie
2010-06-03, 02:18 PM
And unfortunately these guys would have probably thrown him to the ground

But why? I never really understood that.

"What are you, an A-hole?" is a question. I once asked a colleague that once after he acted completely inappropriately. he then turned around telling everyone I called him an Ahole.

Untrue. I only asked the question. :twisted:

USAF Pilot 07
2010-06-03, 03:32 PM
And unfortunately these guys would have probably thrown him to the ground

But why? I never really understood that.

I mean I'm not sure that they would have actually thrown him to the ground, but insulting the TSA on their "turf" is something I don't think they'd very much appreciate. Not to speak for all of them, but I've definitely run into a few who seem to be on a power trip. I don't think it's far fetched to have them "show you who's boss" a little after belittling or insulting them, all in the name of airport security of course.

Midnight Mike
2010-06-04, 03:53 PM

He never even had one Nick, so how he thought it was his is beyond me.

Don't be so cranky Tommy, you do seem a little tired! :lol:

NLovis
2010-06-12, 02:47 AM

Agreed. Word of experience. NEVER NEVER trust a ramp agent (except me) 8) Most ramp agents could care less whether its taken or not. The eagle agents over hear steal drinks from my lunch bag. They dont make much money and most dont give a dam. You leave something unattended odds are it will be jacked. Company laptop???? ramp agents dont get access to that. Good learning experience here.

cancidas
2010-06-12, 09:13 AM
NEVER NEVER trust a ramp agent (except me) 8)
don't be so quick to judge other ramp rats like that. there are bad apples everywhere just like there are stand-up folks all around, in every company and every agency.

The TSA is full of good, hardworking people; but is also mired by some lazy, incompetent individuals. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of them are not just at the NYC airports, but also down here in PHL. My experiences outside of this area of the country with the TSA has generally been pretty pleasurable though. Maybe it's an East Coast thing or something...
i don't think it's an east coast thing, i've only ever had issues with TSA in MRY and SFO so for me it's a Cali "thing." Even at kennedy one morning i was flying west and because i was tired and hadn't slept the night before i left my laptop in a bin at the checkpoint. when i went back just before boarding and described it the TSA agent realized my mistake and put the computer aside for me.

there are other times where because i'm wearing a certain polo shift froma certain firearm manufacturer i get looked at as if i've got 3 heads and am trying to walk through a checkpoint and carry everything carried through in "airplane."

coachrowsey
2010-06-12, 11:58 AM
So taking a part from the recent story of the woman who said the TSA stole her Rolex, this morning at LGA I was going through security, put my laptop in the bin sent it through and WAMO its not on the other side. I had to wait to go through metal detector because some Tool decided not remove everything from his pockets....tiwce. I guess the first time the TSA rep said "sir you need to remove all the metal on you and put it through the scanner" was hard to understand.

So needless to say when I went to collect my laptop and saw it wasn’t there I was a bit freaked, it’s a company issued laptop and the idea of having to email my boss to tell her my laptop got clipped at the airport isn't what I wanted to do at 5:30 am. Anyway the real story here is the lack of urgency and the questioning from the TSA agents... To be blunt the TSA working the B gates this morning are flipping F$%King morons and should be fired.

The first defender of freedom goes to me.."Ah I don't see your laptop (no $hit skippy), are you sure you had it." Then he calls over Capt America who asks me, "Are you sure you had it..maybe you left it home, you look tired." WTF?????? Talk about wanting to take the closest blunt object and cracking it over their heads. As politely as I could I asked to speak with someone who has more than a 1st grade education...I don't think the two of them understood the insult. I mean really..I understand you’re dealing with 1000s of people a day but I can think of a million other ways to react to a passenger reporting a potential theft and what to ask them to perhaps track down the missing item.

After about 20 minutes of the Supervisor trying to review the cameras a jetBlue employee came back with my laptop apologizing for taking it. Their excuse was they thought it was a jetBlue laptop...I guess the "Henry Schein" business card I have stuck to the cover was hard to notice. Morale of the story…keep your eyes on your items like a hawk!!!! Once again this is EXACTLY why I put my wallet, watch, and phone zipped in my brief case.

Orig. quote deleted by me.

Glad you got the laptop back. Quite frankly there is just to much opportunity for theft at the checkpoint.

coachrowsey
2010-06-12, 12:11 PM

Agreed. Word of experience. NEVER NEVER trust a ramp agent (except me) 8) Most ramp agents could care less whether its taken or not. The eagle agents over hear steal drinks from my lunch bag. They dont make much money and most dont give a dam. You leave something unattended odds are it will be jacked. Company laptop???? ramp agents dont get access to that. Good learning experience here.

Sorry to hear of this. Quite frankly I'm glad CLT ramp doesn't have that problem.

Mr Heavy
2010-06-19, 06:18 AM
NEVER NEVER trust a ramp agent (except me) 8)
don't be so quick to judge other ramp rats like that. there are bad apples everywhere just like there are stand-up folks all around, in every company and every agency.

I know that we are all aviation enthusiasts on this site, but lets be real. As someone that's worked in aviation for 12 years, there's not enough bandwidth on this site for me to tell about all the corruption and theft I've witnessed first hand in those years at the airport I was employed at from low level employees right up to supervisors and management level employees. You can certainly count me in as one that will never check anything that can be the slightest bit of temptation for someone to steal, and I keep a close eye on my things at the security checkpoint to be careful of not only fellow passengers, but TSA and airline personnel, too.