PDA

View Full Version : 5/26/10 – EWR

Cary
2010-05-26, 09:34 PM
Decided to stop by EWR before heading to JFK, and boy was that a mistake. I was parked in a public cul-de-sac south of IKEA, that didn't seem to have much of a purpose, as no traffic came into it, except for an 18-wheeler that used it to get into a vacant gravel lot, and a pickup truck that also went into the lot. After about 45 minutes of spotting, an Elizabeth PD LEO pulled up next to my car:

LEO: What are you doing?
Me: I'm just taking pictures of airplanes.
LEO: YOU'RE NOT TAKING PICTURES OF AIRPLANES IN *MY* TOWN. LEAVE!
Me: Okay, sorry.

Seriously? I haven't heard the "you're not _____ in my town" line since the 90s. I was polite and told the truth, yet he still barked an order to leave without even letting me talk. Of course, I just immediately left without saying anything else, since he obviously had a chip on his shoulder. But if I was truly doing something wrong, or if there was some security risk, you'd think he would have questioned me more (like "why are you photographing planes?"). I guess it's a step up from having my car illegally searched or having my memory cards taken, but still, his tone was ridiculous given my calm and apologetic demeanor.

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-26, 10:00 PM
Trouble spotting at EWR? I never heard of that happening before. :lol:

The sad part is that the officer surely thinks he is properly serving his community. Thankfully, he represents a very small percentage of law enforcement that we encounter as a whole.

Cary
2010-05-26, 11:40 PM
The sad part is that the officer surely thinks he is properly serving his community. Thankfully, he represents a very small percentage of law enforcement that we encounter as a whole.

Hey, well at least the residents of Elizabeth will sleep better knowing that no aviation photography will be going on at EWR tonight!

NIKV69
2010-05-27, 01:03 AM
Another professional officer. Did he wait for you to leave?

Cary
2010-05-27, 01:27 AM
Another professional officer. Did he wait for you to leave?

Yup. I wanted to get my GPS on so I could go in the right direction, but I could feel his eyes boring a hole through my head, so I just started driving.

Tom_Turner
2010-05-27, 07:05 PM
They're tough in Elizabeth and unlike New York, it doesn't become more rational as you go up the chain of command. You did the right thing Cary (for your peace of mind at least). You just have to cut your loses in most situations there.

Have to say though, I had an encounter with one member of the force a few years ago, (forget his rank, but believe he might have been a captain?) and he was probably the most spotter friendly officer I ever met - and not because he was blowing off the situation - he just didn't have an issue with what I was doing. Luck of the draw as always.

Tom

hiss srq
2010-06-02, 09:39 AM
I assume this was not PAPD?

seahawks7757
2010-06-02, 02:20 PM
I would say get a copy of the photographers right and when they tell you to go show them the card and say I am on public property so it is ok by law.

lijk604
2010-06-02, 08:15 PM
I would say get a copy of the photographers right and when they tell you to go show them the card and say I am on public property so it is ok by law.

In Newark, that will lead you to the holding cell. If an officer of the law (anywhere actually) asks you to move, you move. If you feel so inclined go to the precinct and find the supervisor to discuss it. But from past experiences by members of this board, Newark is not the place you want to show up the cops.

If a CITIZEN wants to try to bust your balls you pull out the photographer rights card, but an officer of the law? Not me.

Cary
2010-06-04, 02:26 AM
I assume this was not PAPD?
No, Elizabeth PD.

I'd give $50 to see you try that with this LEO :)

george
2010-06-04, 09:34 AM

In Newark, that will lead you to the holding cell. If an officer of the law (anywhere actually) asks you to move, you move. If you feel so inclined go to the precinct and find the supervisor to discuss it. But from past experiences by members of this board, Newark is not the place you want to show up the cops.

If a CITIZEN wants to try to bust your balls you pull out the photographer rights card, but an officer of the law? Not me.

I agree.. If I get told to move by a police officer I move. Doesn't matter where I am. I think taking out the photographer rights card would make the matter worse.

NIKV69
2010-06-04, 08:54 PM
PAPD wouldn't be in that area has to be Elizabeth PD

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-04, 08:58 PM
Standing up to a cop in that area would actually make it even tougher for everyone else.

N75715
2010-06-04, 10:26 PM
good point, Phil. Cary, you did the right thing. somehow, some way, we will prevail.. it will just take time. These departments have to talk amongst each other.

FlyingColors
2010-08-18, 09:59 AM
LOL- " in that area"
Face it- it can't get any worse their!!!!

FlyingColors
2010-08-18, 10:02 AM
I would do the same- at IKEA, that is not public land.

Now if in a public park- that is a different story.