PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NYC Fleet Week 5/26 to 6/2

fk6065
2010-05-13, 09:35 PM
Scheduled for May 26th through June 2nd. The USS Iwo Jima is the only vessel that carries aircraft. It is unknown what compliment of air craft will accompany her. She is capable of supporting V-22 Osprey's, A-8 Harriers, And numerous types of helicopters.

From "Navy Times"

Navy announces ships for N.Y. Fleet Week

Staff report
Posted : Wednesday Apr 21, 2010 8:06:33 EDT

The Navy plans to send seven ships to New York’s annual Fleet Week next month, it announced Tuesday: a big-deck gator, a cruiser, a destroyer and four smaller patrol coastal ships. The Coast Guard plans to send three ships.

From Naval Station Norfolk, Va., the Navy will dispatch the amphibious assault ship Iwo Jima, destroyer James E. Williams and PCs Tempest, Hurricane, Monsoon and Squall, the announcement said. The cruiser Philippine Sea will sail from Naval Station Mayport, Fla.

The Coast Guard plans to send the buoy tenders Katherine Walker of New York, and Abbie Burgess of Cape May, N.J.; and the medium-endurance cutter Campbell, based in Portsmouth, N.H., according to Navy Region Mid-Atlantic.

Iwo Jima will dock in Manhattan during the fleet festival May 26 to June 2, and all the other ships will dock in the borough of Staten Island. The ships will be available for public tours and their crews — about 3,000 sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen — will be feted at events throughout the city.

International warships also have visited New York during Fleet Week, although their arrangements this year have not yet been confirmed

Th

moose135
2010-05-13, 11:57 PM
That's always good timing, having Fleet Week the same week as the Jones Beach show. :wink: If past years are any indication, look for some additional, non-show Navy traffic at FRG - we've seen T-45s and T-39s at FRG carrying USN visitors to NYC. Also, keep an eye out for some interesting demos around the area. Although I haven't been to any, they have staged mock "invasions" at various places around the area, with helos and Marines dropping in. I think they did one at Eisenhower Park (it was on Saturday, and I was up in the FRG tower...)

njgtr82
2010-05-14, 12:25 AM
I was able to man the rails of the USS Iwo Jima in 2000 at NAS Pensacola for her commisioning ceremony. I still have the challenge coin from the Secretary of the Navy, I'll see if I can dig it up and post a picture.

fk6065
2010-05-14, 09:49 AM
That's always good timing, having Fleet Week the same week as the Jones Beach show. :wink: If past years are any indication, look for some additional, non-show Navy traffic at FRG - we've seen T-45s and T-39s at FRG carrying USN visitors to NYC. Also, keep an eye out for some interesting demos around the area. Although I haven't been to any, they have staged mock "invasions" at various places around the area, with helos and Marines dropping in. I think they did one at Eisenhower Park (it was on Saturday, and I was up in the FRG tower...)

I agree Moose it is always tough. The Marines do put on some good demos using various helicopters. Two years ago I caught them at Westbury High School taking off.

They usually do the combat insertion drills at Eisenhower Park, Cunningham Park in Queens and Orchard Beach in the Bronx.

The problem is they are always during the air show or all the action at Republic.

I will keep an eye out for their schedule as they usually do a demo at a High School on the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

GrummanFan
2010-05-18, 08:52 PM
Now an Osprey has been thrown into the mix! That should be one heck of a show...

A U.S. Marine Corps helicopter squadron will make a dramatic landing at Eisenhower Park’s Kite Field on Saturday, May 29, as part of a daylong schedule of events, announced Nassau County Executive Ed. Mangano.

The event, billed “Raid New York” by the U.S. Marine Corps, will be the largest Marine helicopter landing on Long Island and is part of the larger “Fleet Week 2010” program taking place in New York City.

The helicopter landings at Eisenhower Park will begin at 10 a.m.

Among the featured aircraft is the MV22 Osprey, a multi-mission tilt-rotor aircraft with both a vertical takeoff and landing and short takeoff and landing capability. The aircraft is designed to combine the functionality of a helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop.

The Osprey, joined by CH-46E Sea Knight helicopters and AH-1W Cobras, will perform an area sweep and will transport the raid force Marines to the landing zone. Marines will perform an assault demonstration, after which helicopters will land and will be on public display, along with the weapons typically used by a Marine Corps rifle platoon. There will also be free camouflage face-painting for youngsters.

Marines supporting this event are part of a Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force from Camp Lejeune, N.C., and have recently returned from Afghanistan, Iraq and Haiti.

The event, presented in cooperation with the Nassau County Department of Parks, is free to the public and will take place on the Kite Field, just south of the Veterans Memorial in Eisenhower Park, with parking at fields 6 and 6A.

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Parks/NewsRelease/2010/05-14-10.html

Gerard
2010-05-18, 08:59 PM
[quote="GrummanFan"]Now an Osprey has been thrown into the mix! That should be one heck of a show...

Wow that is awesome!! And it gives anyone plenty of time to head over to FRG after that to watch participants depart and return.
4 days off and my wife and family have already been alerted that I will be unavailable during the daylight hours for
those days. :lol:

fk6065
2010-05-19, 02:26 PM
The official, condensed version, of events for Fleet Week including events here on Long Island. Highlights are in bold and if they stay scheduled are great.

Wednesday, May 26

8:30am Parade of Ships Along the Hudson River on the west side. No word on aircraft, if any, that are participating.
7pm USMC Flyover @ NY Mets game NY Mets FieldThursday, May 27

10am-noon USMC MAGTF Air/Ground Demo Coney Island Brooklyn
11AM-1PM USCG SAR Helo Demo NY Harbor near Homeport Pier, Staten Island

Friday, May 28

9am-11am MV-22 Static Display Homeport Pier, Staten Island
10am-11:30am USMC MAGTF Air-Ground Demo Massapequa High School, Long Island
11am-11:30am USCG SAR Helo Demo NY Harbor near Homeport Pier, Staten Island
2:30pm-6pm USMC MAGTF Air/Ground Demo Orchard Beach, Bronx

Saturday, May 29

10am-2pm USMC MAGTF Demo Eisenhower Park, Long Island
12:30pm-1pm USCG Vertical Insertion Helo Demo Onboard USCG Ship, Staten Island
1pm-1:30pm USCG SAR Helo Demo Hudson River near Piers 86-88
3pm-5pm USMC MAGTF Demo Republic Airport, Long Island

Sunday, May 30

10am-1pm USMC MAGTF Demo Corona Park Queens
3pm-5pm USMC MAGTF Demo Playland Park, Rye, NY

Monday, May 31

11am-4pm USMC MAGTF Demo Clove Lake Park, Staten Island

Tuesday June 1

2pm-3:30pm USMC MAGTF Demo Lindenhurst High School, Long Island

Wednesday, June 2
Ships and service members depart New York City

For complete schedule visit https://www.cnic.navy.mil/navycni/group ... 160688.pdf (https://www.cnic.navy.mil/navycni/groups/public/@pub/@mida/documents/document/cnicp_a160688.pdf)

Chris S
2010-05-19, 02:37 PM
I sure hope that means the Osprey will be coming to Republic that Sat. afternoon also !! :borat:

lijk604
2010-05-19, 05:13 PM
I sure hope that means the Osprey will be coming to Republic that Sat. afternoon also !! :borat:

Oh, that would be a most excellent situation.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-19, 08:10 PM
The A-10 East Coast Demo team will fly over the USS Intrepid Museum at 11:50AM. They will leave FRG at 11:00AM and return at 12:10PM.

Chris S
2010-05-19, 08:16 PM
The A-10 East Coast Demo team will fly over the USS Intrepid Museum at 11:50AM. They will leave FRG at 11:00AM and return at 12:10PM.
What day will this fly over be on ???

Edit: I just saw on the other thread that it is scheduled for Monday the 31st :wink:

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-19, 08:20 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51":c4b0rz4g]The A-10 East Coast Demo team will fly over the USS Intrepid Museum at 11:50AM. They will leave FRG at 11:00AM and return at 12:10PM.
What day will this fly over be on ???[/quote:c4b0rz4g]
Monday the 31st . Sorry, It would have helped if I put the date. :lol:

Flying Tigers
2010-05-25, 02:53 PM
Two V-22 Ospreys are at KTEB right now. They'll be joined by AH-1 Cobras sometime this week. TEB hosted the Ospreys for last year's Fleet Week as well.

Matt Molnar
2010-05-25, 03:54 PM
1. No parade of planes up the river this year?

2. Will the Ospreys be doing the CitiField flyover? They did it last year.

SCOTYDEMCO
2010-05-25, 04:25 PM
Ospreys, Cobras and Seaknights will be out of TEB. I don't know if the Ospreys are doing the Met game. They are tempermental, last year only one flew because the other had mech problems.

Gerard
2010-05-25, 05:52 PM
Ospreys, Cobras and Seaknights will be out of TEB. I don't know if the Ospreys are doing the Met game. They are tempermental, last year only one flew because the other had mech problems.

Those are the Bad Boys 8) that will be doing the Marine demos all week around the area. To tell you the truth
I'm kinda more excited seeing them in action than the airshow. Kinda :lol: But then again I am a rotorhead!!

SpeedDemon88X
2010-05-25, 06:13 PM

Those are the Bad Boys 8) that will be doing the Marine demos all week around the area. To tell you the truth
I'm kinda more excited seeing them in action than the airshow. Kinda :lol: But then again I am a rotorhead!!
I was told by a friend that the JROTC teacher in my school said they would be doing a demo in the field at my school. I hope he's telling the truth!

fk6065
2010-05-25, 08:24 PM

I was told by a friend that the JROTC teacher in my school said they would be doing a demo in the field at my school. I hope he's telling the truth!

What High School do you go to? They are scheduled for two in the area. Lindenhurst and Massapequa.

fk6065
2010-05-25, 08:27 PM
Hot of the press;

There will be a flyover of military aircraft for the parade of ships going up the Hudson consisting of F/A-18's from VFA-106 The Gladiators & VMFA-122 The Werewolves along with MV-22's (Ospreys) from VMM-263 The Thunder Chickens.

The flyover should follow the ships after they enter NY harbor.

SpeedDemon88X
2010-05-25, 08:31 PM
What High School do you go to? They are scheduled for two in the area. Lindenhurst and Massapequa.
Lindenhurst. Do you know the date/specifications of the demo?

fk6065
2010-05-25, 08:43 PM

It is listed on page one of this thread, Tuesday afternoon 2:00PM to 3:30PM

SpeedDemon88X
2010-05-25, 08:50 PM

It is listed on page one of this thread, Tuesday afternoon 2:00PM to 3:30PM
Thank you good sir, I totally missed that!

Matt Molnar
2010-05-25, 11:42 PM
Hot of the press;

There will be a flyover of military aircraft for the parade of ships going up the Hudson consisting of F/A-18's from VFA-106 The Gladiators & VMFA-122 The Werewolves along with MV-22's (Ospreys) from VMM-263 The Thunder Chickens.

The flyover should follow the ships after they enter NY harbor.
Nice, I wonder why it wasn't on the "official" sched. Oh well, not much anyway. They really should do a couple of laps. From the Battery to GWB takes them 2 mins.

fk6065
2010-05-26, 10:18 AM
Two ospreys two hornets one pass gone in 30. Seconds

fk6065
2010-05-26, 11:38 PM
From over the Hudson River this morning, one of the Ospreys

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/880377602_2myyK-M.jpg

Gerard
2010-05-28, 08:52 PM
From over the Hudson River this morning, one of the Ospreys

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/880377602_2myyK-M.jpg

Nice. So looking to see the Osprey tomorrow. Its on my Must See list!!! :lol:

fk6065
2010-05-28, 10:42 PM
I stopped by Massapequa High School this AM for the USMC Demo/Visit and they only brought two birds and no Osprey. Here are two shots of the Sea Knight and a Cobra.

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/882240977_ZeSt8-M.jpg

http://fredkopf.smugmug.com/photos/882240988_gqP3P-M.jpg

Gerard
2010-05-29, 08:35 AM
[quote="fk6065"]I stopped by Massapequa High School this AM for the USMC Demo/Visit and they only brought two birds and no Osprey.

Uh oh :(

Chris S
2010-05-29, 12:30 PM
FYI- I saw the Demo this morning by the Osprey, Sea Knight and 2 Cobras at Eisenhower Park.
I also talked to the pilot of the Sea Knight who was out of Norfolk and asked him if they were
also doing a demo over at FRG at 3PM today, and he said that demo had been canceled.
The 4 helicopters are supposed to depart Eisenhower Park at 2PM, so if you don't live too
far from there you can still catch them over there !!! :borat:

cancidas
2010-05-29, 02:39 PM
a CH-46 and two AH-1s just flew southbound over LGA headed towards the city.

Gerard
2010-05-29, 05:17 PM
The demo was AWESOME!!!! :D :D
Arrived around 9:30 and just as I got out of my car and started walking to the staging area I heard that
unmistakable sound of inbound copters. It was the two Cobras and the Sea Knight coming in from the
west. DAMN I thought no Osprey :(
But when I got to the field the announcer was telling the audience that the Osprey would be coming!! :D
The copters circled low just south of the area by the Nassau Coliseum for about 20 minutes and I bet that
freaked some people out.
Exactly at 10 the two Cobras flew in and swept the field at tree top level for a few minutes before the Sea
Knight came in followed by the Osprey which was LOUD!! They dropped their rear doors and out came
combat equipped Marines!! The Marines took up position in the grass, weapons at ready while the two big
copters departed the LZ. The Cobras kept sweeping overhead. Finally the Knight, Osprey, and the two
Cobras came in and shutdown. Soon after that they opened the fences and the crowd swarmed the field.
The "Meet and Greet" and the chance to walk through the big ships went on for over 3 hours. I hung out
for awhile, walked around the park, went out to get some food then returned to await the departure.
After a long warmup the four copters lifted off the LZ into the warm sunny day and headed out. Lots of
people started to leave but I got a heads up from one of the Cobra pilots that they would do a Fly-By.
Sure enough after a few minutes the two Cobras with the Sea Knight between them blasted over the field
then out NW. No Osprey I thought then all of a sudden it came screaming out from behind the trees over
the field low then a sharp banking turn and out NW. THAT was quite cool!!!
Just a great great time. They are doing a number of demos around the area so if you get a chance go for
it. You wont be sorry.

lijk604
2010-05-29, 06:21 PM
No pics???!!!

Gerard
2010-05-29, 06:23 PM
No pics???!!!

Facebook album

http://www.facebook.com/gerard.mcnulty# ... 1796503532 (http://www.facebook.com/gerard.mcnulty#!/album.php?aid=22814&id=1796503532)

Gerard
2010-05-29, 06:42 PM
No pics???!!!

Facebook album

http://www.facebook.com/gerard.mcnulty# ... 1796503532 (http://www.facebook.com/gerard.mcnulty#!/album.php?aid=22814&id=1796503532)

Does it work? I opened it up so "Everyone" can see it. As long as you are on Facebook though, I gather. :? :lol:

Matt Molnar
2010-05-29, 08:13 PM
Does it work? I opened it up so "Everyone" can see it. As long as you are on Facebook though, I gather. :? :lol:
Works for me. Good stuff. :borat:

Danycam
2010-05-29, 10:31 PM
I stopped by Massapequa High School this AM for the USMC Demo/Visit and they only brought two birds and no Osprey. Here are two shots of the Sea Knight and a Cobra.

My Mom lives Across the Street. I'll Have to Aske her About it.
I went to that HS 30 years ago... Where did they Land, Football Field? Or was it across the Street at Burns Park? How Big a crowd was there?? And How did you Hear about it?

Yeah I Know I ask A lot of Questions. :wink:

emshighway
2010-05-29, 10:54 PM
Had the pleasure to hang out with some officers from the USS Philippine Sea in Manhattan last night. We made sure they never went into their pockets and were properly toasted.

Gerard
2010-05-30, 09:10 AM
Works for me. Good stuff. :borat:

Thanks. It was a fantastic event. The Marine pilots were great guys. Some of them look so young :lol: then you find out they've been in Afghanistan and Iraq and are seasoned combat vets.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-31, 08:20 AM
Here are the rest of the fleet week festivities

Sunday May 30, 2010

•10am-1pm USMC MAGTF Demo Corona Park, Queens

•3pm-5pm USMC MAGTF Demo Playland Park, Rye, NY

Monday May 31, 2010

•11am-4pm USMC MAGTF Demo Clove Lake Park, Staten Island

Tuesday June 1, 2010

•10am-2pm USMC MAGTF Demo Eisenhower Park, Long Island

•2pm-3:30pm USMC MAGTF Demo Lindenhurst High School, Long Islan

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-31, 09:24 AM
Skyfox HD is reporting and has a video of a V-22 snapping a tree and hitting spectators during a USMC fleetweek demo.

Multiple injuries reported.

Gerard
2010-05-31, 11:01 AM
Skyfox HD is reporting and has a video of a V-22 snapping a tree and hitting spectators during a USMC fleetweek demo.

Multiple injuries reported.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... _park.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/31/2010-05-31_marine_corps_osprey_helicopter_landing_injures_ eight_in_staten_island_park.html)

Matt Molnar
2010-05-31, 12:28 PM
Here's video: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-be ... 53699.html (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Bystanders-Suffer-Minor-Injuries--95253699.html)

Gerard
2010-05-31, 04:20 PM
At the Eisenhower demo the announcer made it a point to warn all the spectators of downwash and to hold
onto hats, chair and children!!! :lol: Really. Obviously if the tree branches were weak the propwash would make them come loose. Originally it sounded like the rotor HIT the tree.
Looks like the LZ they chose had dirt on it and they came in close to the trees. At Ike Park they came in
away from the trees and slowly descended. Typical rotorwash for a ship that big but nothing out of the
ordinary. And the field was all grass.
Freak accident but glad everyone alright.

cancidas
2010-05-31, 05:57 PM
At the Eisenhower demo the announcer made it a point to warn all the spectators of downwash and to hold
onto hats, chair and children!!! :lol: Really. Obviously if the tree branches were weak the propwash would make them come loose. Originally it sounded like the rotor HIT the tree.
Looks like the LZ they chose had dirt on it and they came in close to the trees. At Ike Park they came in
away from the trees and slowly descended. Typical rotorwash for a ship that big but nothing out of the
ordinary. And the field was all grass.
Freak accident but glad everyone alright.
what nobody mentioned yet is that the rotor wash on a V-22 will be more turbulent than any conventional helo because the two columns of air coming off the rotors rotate in two opposite directions. when those two columns of air meet they will be more violent and turbulent than a regular helo.

also, i have no idea what kind of crowd control there was at the site but there is a reason we were alway trained not to stand near a landing or departing helo.

Gerard
2010-05-31, 07:08 PM
also, i have no idea what kind of crowd control there was at the site but there is a reason we were alway trained not to stand near a landing or departing helo.

At mine we all stood behind a wooden fence which never buckled like the metal ones in Queens. And the copters came in
high and descended slowly into the field. When they departed they pretty much went straight up and out. BTW the two
big ships landed twice in the demo. Once to drop off the soldiers then back in to shutdown for the demo. Hey maybe its
because we have stronger trees on LI. :lol:

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-06-01, 09:15 PM
I saw a Sea Knight pass by the house and I haven't seen one in awhile and I forgot how fast and loud they were. Someone also reported seeing a V-22 in the area.

Gerard
2010-06-01, 11:10 PM
I saw a Sea Knight pass by the house and I haven't seen one in awhile and I forgot how fast and loud they were. Someone also reported seeing a V-22 in the area.

Today was the last day for the demos. I believe it was Lindenhurst HS today.
BTW at the LI demo Saturday the Sea Knight came in real fast on the flyby!! :D