PDA

View Full Version : Fly-Over Costs Pilots Flight Status

Gerard
2010-05-09, 12:57 AM
If this is old news and has been posted here before I apologize. I just found this today. Pretty harsh punishment.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/navy-rul ... ght-status (http://www.nowpublic.com/world/navy-rules-ga-tech-game-flyover-pilots-too-low-lose-flight-status)

NLovis
2010-05-09, 03:07 AM
I havent heard of this yet. That really is harsh. A miscalculation isnt that big a problem. Were all human and make them. Yea a miscalculation in the forces is life or death but over something like that is way overdone. Personally something more temporary would have been in order. Though maby they were thinking if they miscalculated for that they might have on the battle field as well?

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-05-09, 10:14 AM
This miscalculation unfortunately took this pilots his career also.

zJ3aF1K_RzM

Tom_Turner
2010-05-09, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't actually know if this was appropriate punishment or not, but it does seem a bit extreme, considering the honors and accolades we pay to others that have been known to break a rule or two while flying....

Tom

threeholerglory
2010-05-09, 10:42 AM
Though I feel that revocation of flight status for such decorated aviators is a bit extreme, I am bewildered by how such intensely precise pilots could "miscalculate" their altitude. As a civilian private pilot, you are given a buffer of +/- 100 feet in altitude. If you are landing an F18 on an aircraft carrier at night with no lights and that carrier is pitching and rolling with the ocean, AND you are tasked with landing on a very specific mark, the precision involved is unfathomable. After competing in college flight competitions and performing precision landings, I can attest to the skills involved. As such, there really is no excuse for being that far off altitude "by accident". Again, the consequences are a bit extreme, but given the 1000' Navy restriction, they had something coming to them.

lijk604
2010-05-09, 10:46 AM
One would wonder as well, did the person who made the assignments for the flyover realize that these were GA Tech grads? If so, they were probably warned ahead of time as well "Don't do anything stupid" which they did, which would be breaking a direct order. All speculation on my part, but if it's true, I don't feel sorry for them.

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-09, 11:57 AM
Definitely a bit harsh. I don't believe that they miscalculated anything though, but I trust these guys know what they're doing.

moose135
2010-05-09, 08:24 PM
These guys violated their minimum altitude for the flyover - something that is planned and briefed before hand, it's not something you make a little "miscalculation" over, especially when flying over a crowded stadium. They didn't follow their mission plan, putting themselves and countless others at risk.

Add to that their ranks and positions - both were Lt Commanders (O-4, same as a Major in the AF or Army) and were Squadron Department Heads, junior only to the Squadron Commander and Executive Officer - they were experienced, trained pilots and leaders. Unlike some junior officer a couple of years out of flight school, they are the ones who should be setting the example, not showing off over a crowded football game.

And from discussions I've had about this incident elsewhere, after several low passes at other games (especially one VERY low pass over the Naval Academy), everyone in Naval Aviation has been warned about these things. If these guys don't show the judgement required to fly the maneuver as planned, they don't belong in the cockpit.

mirrodie
2010-05-09, 09:33 PM

?? QUe? You speaka da engrish?" Did he lose his career, his life or both?

I've seen the video but don't recall if he made it.

As to the Flyover, while from my view as a spectator I loved it, I can't see I feel badly about their verdict. These guys are dropping million dollar arsenals and are paid for precision. I can't see this as being a simple miscalc.

moose135
2010-05-09, 09:47 PM

?? QUe? You speaka da engrish?" Did he lose his career, his life or both?

I've seen the video but don't recall if he made it.
He survived - he punched out 140 feet (0.8 seconds) before it hit the ground. He pulled over the top of the maneuver 1,000 feet lower than he should have. And he did return to flying duties after the review board, but not with the Thunderbirds.

alo_XWCqNUQ

http://www.michaelworth.com/photos/T_Bird_6_eject.jpg