PDA

View Full Version : SI Ferry Crashes Into Dock, Numerous Injuries

Gerard
2010-05-08, 11:01 AM
CNN reporting the ferry hit the dock in SI and over 60 injuries. Reportedly this is the same ferry that crashed back in
Oct 2003 the Andrew Barberi.

george
2010-05-08, 11:36 AM
New York (CNN) -- A ferry boat crashed into the Staten Island Ferry terminal Saturday morning, leaving at least 60 people injured, authorities said.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office told CNN that 60 passengers had minor injuries.

The ferry boat, the Andrew J. Barberi, was the same boat involved in an October 2003 crash that killed 11 people and injured 42, U.S. Coast Guard spokeswoman Barbara Miller told CNN.

There were 252 passengers and 18 crew members on board the vessel at the time of Saturday's crash, Miller said.

She said investigators were trying to determine the cause of the accident. Initial reports indicate the captain may have lost control of the boat's engines, she said.

Video from CNN affiliate NY1 shows rescue workers at the scene carrying people on stretchers.

"As soon as we got to the port it just slammed right into the dock and pushed everybody back. It was chaos, pandemonium. It was something like I've never been through in my life," ferry passenger Alex Gonzalez told NY1.

Five ferries carry about 65,000 passengers daily on a 5.2-mile run between Staten Island and the southern tip of Manhattan.

hiss srq
2010-05-10, 10:16 AM
There are going to be a TON of lawsuits for this accident... No duh... Mainly because the same shjip did the same thing a while back. It will be intresting to follow the New York papers and see what happens with this one. The last accident had a ton of suits filed on it. Time to make tin cans out of the ship?

Matt Molnar
2010-05-10, 12:03 PM
There are going to be a TON of lawsuits for this accident... No duh... Mainly because the same shjip did the same thing a while back. It will be intresting to follow the New York papers and see what happens with this one. The last accident had a ton of suits filed on it. Time to make tin cans out of the ship?
I know a lot of people already refused to take this boat after the first wreck and Andrew Barbieri's son is demanding they retire it.

Midnight Mike
2010-05-10, 03:14 PM
I took the Staten Island ferry for years, my take is that most of the people that were hurt were probably the ones standing up at the front of the ferry ready to run off the minute the ferry docked...... :wink:

Tom_Turner
2010-05-16, 10:56 AM
I know a lot of people already refused to take this boat after the first wreck and Andrew Barbieri's son is demanding they retire it.

I am reasonably certain "injuries" occurred on the football field at Curtis High School back when Barbieri was coach .... they still play though.. accidents/deaths occur on the FDR Drive, Martin Luther King Blvd etc.... :wink:

Tom