PDA

View Full Version : Headset repair

cancidas
2010-05-08, 09:32 AM
so i pulled out my airplane headset, one of these:

http://www.transair.co.uk/images/headsets/dc_h1013xlsm.jpg

the other day and noticed battery acid leaking from the battery pack. is there anywhere on the island that repairs headsets?
mine is the original one, that doesn't have the detachable battery pack. in all honesty i'd be happy if i could get the pack chopped off and cord shortened.

i guess all this means i really should fly airplanes more often. :wink:

hiss srq
2010-05-08, 12:27 PM
OR Go get a pair of BOSE.... Best there is! Way more comfortable than David Clarks

USAF Pilot 07
2010-05-08, 08:01 PM
Or get a pair of Telex!

cancidas
2010-05-09, 05:14 AM
Or get a pair of Telex!
no way... i've had the same helo headset for close to 10 years now. my airplane headset is younger though.

Nick
2010-05-09, 08:21 AM
I have my Davey's, altho I haven't worn them much since they moved me off the flightline. Whats the diff between a helo and fixed wing headset?

cancidas
2010-05-09, 09:52 AM
I have my Davey's, altho I haven't worn them much since they moved me off the flightline. Whats the diff between a helo and fixed wing headset?
the plug and the cord. airplanes are two-pronged and straight corded, about 4ft long. helo is a coil cord with a single plug and only about 2 ft.

hiss srq
2010-05-09, 04:27 PM
I do not like Telex headsets. I used to have one and than I also had them at work and I constantly had problems with the mic's on them. Matt will probably attest to that too. I think he had a Telex set at work too.

threeholerglory
2010-05-09, 07:17 PM
DC from what I recall has tremendous customer service....they gave my dad a brand new headset because he had a mic issue. I'd call them first.

Also, if the battery was leaking before it's expiration date, call the battery manufacturer. I had a battery leak acid into one of my pocket wizards so I looked on the energizer web site and they have a customer service program whereby you can send back the defective battery and any affected products you have. It is then their option to repair or replace the battery and your property. Obviously they do not repair your property, rather they will take care of it with the manufacturer.

USAF Pilot 07
2010-05-10, 01:37 AM
I do not like Telex headsets. I used to have one and than I also had them at work and I constantly had problems with the mic's on them. Matt will probably attest to that too. I think he had a Telex set at work too.

There are pros and cons with the Telex. I like the Telex because we don't have to use interphone for all communication and can just talk normally in the cockpit, but I feel like I hear things better and come across more clearly on the David Clarks...

cancidas
2010-05-10, 02:58 PM
DC from what I recall has tremendous customer service....they gave my dad a brand new headset because he had a mic issue. I'd call them first.

emailed them about it, just need to mail the headset out now.

There are pros and cons with the Telex. I like the Telex because we don't have to use interphone for all communication and can just talk normally in the cockpit, but I feel like I hear things better and come across more clearly on the David Clarks...
i'm just more used to and more comfortable even talking with the other pilot via the intercom. i don't remember who built the radio compnents of the HGU-56/P helmets we used to wear but david clarks are much more comfortable and just as reliable.