PDA

View Full Version : T-6 to be demolished

bluejuice
2010-04-30, 06:06 AM
Found this on A net this AM. Well I guess its now official. We are taking over T-6 for our international arrivals. Plans are to just demolish the rear portion of the terminal-Leaving the "sundrome" standing but modernized
PORT AUTHORITY PREPARES FOR FUTURE AVIATION GROWTH BY CREATING NEW DEVELOPMENT SITES AT JFK AIRPORT
Date: Apr 29, 2010
Press Release Number: 23-2010

The Port Authority will embark on a major program to demolish obsolete buildings at John F. Kennedy International Airport that will create much-needed space for airlines to expand their passenger and cargo businesses.

At its monthly meeting today, the Port Authority Board of Commissioners authorized a $42.3 million program to demolish six cargo buildings and five hangars, some of which are more than 60 years old and have been vacant for years, costing the agency millions to maintain. The anticipated annual savings will be $1.7 million.

In addition, Terminal 6, which housed JetBlue before the airline moved to its new Terminal 5 in October 2008, also will be demolished. The demolition will allow JetBlue to begin planning for the expansion of international operations at Terminal 5. The expansion would allow the airline to consolidate the international arrivals that are now handled from Terminal 4 and meet forecasted growth, which would be driven primarily by international travel.

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, "Our airports must keep up with the times if we want to remain competitive for air passengers and cargo. This demolition program will allow us to keep JFK modern and ensure that it remains a contributor to the region's economic growth for many years to come."

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, "Maintaining obsolete buildings that were built 60 years ago is not a prudent use of our limited resources. Instead, this action will position the airport to expand to accommodate the future growth of our airline and cargo tenants."

Demolition of the buildings will allow the Port Authority to expand existing operations such as deicing and aircraft holding pads, and also will provide locations for future cargo growth.

T-Bird76
2010-04-30, 11:45 AM
The article says they are leveling the entire thing not just the rear??

Iberia A340-600
2010-04-30, 01:32 PM
According to a post on Anet there are rumors that Lufthansa and Aer Lingus would potentially be using gates at T5i, meaning that gates would be built to be able to handle aircraft larger then the A320/E190.

NLovis
2010-05-04, 04:23 PM
I've been wondering what would become of T6 while working at T7. Thats terminal has been sitting there rotting since JB left. Maintain old unused building??? HA the port doesnt maintain the buildings if they are unused. Idk who they are trying to kid with that part. Well I guess my question in answered.

T-Bird76
2010-05-04, 04:29 PM
I've been wondering what would become of T6 while working at T7. Thats terminal has been sitting there rotting since JB left. Maintain old unused building??? HA the port doesnt maintain the buildings if they are unused. Idk who they are trying to kid with that part. Well I guess my question in answered.

My question is what the hell did you even just say in your post??? It makes zero sense...

george
2010-05-04, 04:58 PM

My question is what the hell did you even just say in your post??? It makes zero sense...

At least I'm not the only one that didn't understand his post

NLovis
2010-05-04, 05:21 PM

yeaaaa sometimes I say stuff that doesnt make any sense. What I was saying was I wondered what they were going to do with T6 since it wasnt upgraded like most other terminals and its sitting there crumbling. I then went to say what a load the PA was saying in maintaining old unused buildings. If they maintained the buildings T6 would be upgarded and in good shape currently. Then I was saying I finally had my answer to what was planned for T6.

NIKV69
2010-05-04, 05:42 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5354ba4876.gif (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)