PDA

View Full Version : Lasers pointed at aircraft

emshighway
2010-04-13, 08:38 PM
There have been several incidents of laser pointers being shot into the cockpit of aircraft in the NYC area. While people may think it is harmless anyone who has been in a darkened cockpit that has been lit up understands how bright and disrupting this can be. PAPD, NYPD and DHS are actively pursuing these incidents. If anyone in their travels happens to see any incidents please contact PAPD or NYPD with the information.

Thanks

Derf
2010-04-13, 09:04 PM
There have been several incidents of laser pointers being shot into the cockpit of aircraft in the NYC area. While people may think it is harmless anyone who has been in a darkened cockpit that has been lit up understands how bright and disrupting this can be. PAPD, NYPD and DHS are actively pursuing these incidents. If anyone in their travels happens to see any incidents please contact PAPD or NYPD with the information.

Thanks

you left out the part about beating the hell out of them and then calling PAPD or NYPD. Seriously tho, these issues will lever go away as it is part of human nature. It starts with "he look, it reaches the house across the street", then goes to "Hey, it can hit the house at the end of the block", then "Hey, it actually can hit that tree 3 blocks away", then "WOW, I can hit the low ceiling clouds", then the dubmass next to you says "Look at that low flying airplane".

I would never do this as I understand what would happen, but your average Joe Jack@ss has no idea and is quite innocent as they do not understand....Unlike the dumbass I watched a bar do it to a uniformed police officer.... BIG MISTAKE!

If I did see it happen, there would be a lot of static!!!!

PhilDernerJr
2010-04-13, 09:51 PM
In a professional environment I've dealt with these situations 3 times, fortunately never while I was on the airplane...only the aftermath of following up and stuff. The people who do it clearly don't understand the severity of what they are doing and have poor mental capacity.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-04-13, 09:53 PM
And yet another reason why the PAPD goes after innocent spotters.

emshighway
2010-04-13, 10:04 PM
you left out the part about beating the hell out of them and then calling PAPD or NYPD.

That was a given :D

emshighway
2010-04-13, 10:11 PM

Please don't try to deflect the subject.

Someone will be made an example of for their stupidity.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-04-13, 10:56 PM

I'm not trying to be malicious in any way. Just sharing a thought.

Big Tim #70
2010-04-14, 07:26 AM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51":3cuw8emv]And yet another reason why the PAPD goes after innocent spotters.

I'm not trying to be malicious in any way. Just sharing a thought.[/quote:3cuw8emv]

He's right.

It's those kind of actions that get spotting locations shut down.

Derf
2010-04-14, 07:50 AM
you left out the part about beating the hell out of them and then calling PAPD or NYPD.

That was a given :D

Just make sure that when the police show up you have the bloodied baseball bat in hand while keeping your foot on the susupect in full Captain Morgan pose and say the words "In the name of aviation spotters everywhere, Aviation and will fight to keep it safe, GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA!!!" (in your lowest commanding voice).

That should get a reaction! :lol: :borat:

emshighway
2010-04-16, 06:56 PM
[quote="Fighting_falcon_51":1brp874n] And yet another reason why the PAPD goes after innocent spotters.

He's right.

It's those kind of actions that get spotting locations shut down.[/quote:1brp874n]

How do you shut down a spotting location? If you are in a public area, how do you shut it down?

I think they are two seperate situations and law enforcement knows that. Use it to jump on your soap box if you want but I don't think it will do you any good. In fact it will likely backfire on you.

Big Tim #70
2010-04-16, 07:41 PM
How do you shut down a spotting location? If you are in a public area, how do you shut it down?

I think they are two seperate situations and law enforcement knows that. Use it to jump on your soap box if you want but I don't think it will do you any good. In fact it will likely backfire on you.

Relax, I think you're misunderstanding the point I (& possibly Falcon) was trying to make.

If a jerk off is in a known spotter location shining a laser beam at aircraft, you can damn well bet that law enforcement will pay a lot closer attention to that area in the foreseeable future, rightfully so. The next guy who just wants to snap some pics is a lot more likely to get questioned and or asked to leave/move on if this kind of behavior is occurring.

Nobody was jumping on any soap box, if anything we were sympathizing with LEO's who have to chase down boneheads like that. I'm sure they all feel that they have better things to do with their time.

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-04-16, 07:52 PM
Exactly my point.

emshighway
2010-04-17, 01:30 PM

I think they are two separate situations and law enforcement knows that. Use it to jump on your soap box if you want but I don't think it will do you any good. In fact it will likely backfire on you.

Relax, I think you're misunderstanding the point I (& possibly Falcon) was trying to make.

If a jerk off is in a known spotter location shining a laser beam at aircraft, you can damn well bet that law enforcement will pay a lot closer attention to that area in the foreseeable future, rightfully so. The next guy who just wants to snap some pics is a lot more likely to get questioned and or asked to leave/move on if this kind of behavior is occurring.

Nobody was jumping on any soap box, if anything we were sympathizing with LEO's who have to chase down boneheads like that. I'm sure they all feel that they have better things to do with their time.

But they are not using spotting sites to light up the planes. Chances are they are just some jerks hanging out in their backyard but the incidents have increased lately and there is a chance they may be practice runs for a MANPAD deployment. They wouldn't use spotting location necessary because the planes altitude to too low for them to get tone and for the missile to accurately lock and track.

I understand your idea of a relationship in these incidents and spotting locations but it seems to be practice here to jump at the PD harassing "Innocent" spotters. Unfortunately you can't be Innocent until proven guilty in the terrorism business. You are suspect until proven otherwise. To do anything else could be deadly.

I hear it all the time "do I look like a terrorist?" My reply is I don't know you and what does a terrorist really look like?

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-04-17, 09:08 PM
[/quote]

I understand your idea of a relationship in these incidents and spotting locations but it seems to be practice here to jump at the PD harassing "Innocent" spotters. Unfortunately you can't be Innocent until proven guilty in the terrorism business. You are suspect until proven otherwise. To do anything else could be deadly.

I hear it all the time "do I look like a terrorist?" My reply is I don't know you and what does a terrorist really look like?[/quote]

I think it's excellent that law enforcement is keeping a watchful eye on the surrounding areas of the airports and they are asking questions to ensure we are enjoying our hobby in a safe environment. But idiots at spotting locations, back yards ect; pointing lasers at low flying aircraft gives law enforcement reason to suspect genuine spotters are doing the same. While I do not believe law enforcement are "harassing" spotters for no reason, in this day and age I don't blame them for having the mindset they do.

As far as your last statement on terrorism I agree with you 100%.

Gerard
2010-04-17, 11:34 PM
And this just happened tonite......................
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=7392021 (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7392021)

NIKV69
2010-04-17, 11:36 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/lase ... &FEEDNAME= (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/laser_strike_on_jfk_inbound_jet_BDzIELszJEYuUr8wSo uotO?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=)

Matt Molnar
2010-04-18, 12:17 AM
Yikes, I think one of our Twitter friends was supposed to be on that flight.

moose135
2010-04-18, 01:02 AM
I think they are two separate situations and law enforcement knows that. Use it to jump on your soap box if you want but I don't think it will do you any good. In fact it will likely backfire on you.
Two separate situation, yes, but how many of us have heard a LEO say "Since 9/11 it's illegal to take pictures of airplanes..." One had nothing to do with the other, and yet spotters, in public locations, have been (and continue to be) treated like criminals. I don't think it's unreasonable to worry that these incidents won't be used as a convenient excuse for police who don't want to be bothered dealing with the calls from "concerned citizens" about "suspicious people with cameras".

When that friendly police officer tells you "You're not doing anything illegal, but we're getting a lot of calls about you, maybe you want to find someplace else to take pictures..."

USAF Pilot 07
2010-04-18, 09:48 AM
Yikes, I think one of our Twitter friends was supposed to be on that flight.

Gotta love GhettoBGone's comment below the article!

GhettoBGone

04/17/2010 11:32 PM

I can't believe they have sun visors in planes. They must be huge

emshighway
2010-04-18, 12:27 PM
Two separate situation, yes, but how many of us have heard a LEO say "Since 9/11 it's illegal to take pictures of airplanes..." One had nothing to do with the other, and yet spotters, in public locations, have been (and continue to be) treated like criminals. I don't think it's unreasonable to worry that these incidents won't be used as a convenient excuse for police who don't want to be bothered dealing with the calls from "concerned citizens" about "suspicious people with cameras".

When that friendly police officer tells you "You're not doing anything illegal, but we're getting a lot of calls about you, maybe you want to find someplace else to take pictures..."

I have plenty of Police friends and they know it isn't illegal to take photos in a public area but if they say it is illegal and you accept it then they don't have to respond back when those busy bodies who call 911 for everything (now someone will jump on the cops lying, get over it, it happens).

You never got a "move it along" from a cop when you were a kid?

Derf
2010-04-18, 12:33 PM

I have plenty of Police friends and they know it isn't illegal to take photos in a public area but if they say it is illegal and you accept it then they don't have to respond back when those busy bodies who call 911 for everything (now someone will jump on the cops lying, get over it, it happens).

SO YOUR SAYING IT IS OK or JUSTIFIED for a Police officer to lie about the LAW THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO INFORCE?
WOW :lol:

emshighway
2010-04-18, 12:37 PM

SO YOUR SAYING IT IS OK or JUSTIFIED for a Police officer to lie about the LAW THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO INFORCE?
WOW :lol:

Boy that was quicker than I thought. :D

Derf
2010-04-18, 12:46 PM
I can not believe you think it is justified in any way for a police officer to MAKE UP A LAW to make HIS JOB easier.

I would love to hear why you think this is ok for them to do.

emshighway
2010-04-19, 09:18 PM
I can not believe you think it is justified in any way for a police officer to MAKE UP A LAW to make HIS JOB easier.

I would love to hear why you think this is ok for them to do.

Where in the following statement does it say I think it is justified? Point it out for me please. I just stated the truth of what they do.

"I have plenty of Police friends and they know it isn't illegal to take photos in a public area but if they say it is illegal and you accept it then they don't have to respond back when those busy bodies who call 911 for everything (now someone will jump on the cops lying, get over it, it happens).

You never got a "move it along" from a cop when you were a kid?"

Matt Molnar
2010-04-19, 10:31 PM
Any leads on the Saturday incident, or at least the general area where they might have been?

emshighway
2010-04-21, 04:21 PM
The JFK one I believe was on the shoreline. LGA has been over maspeth, middle village area.