PDA

View Full Version : Evergreen To Lose Dreamlifter Contract In Sept

NLovis
2010-03-30, 03:31 AM
Word from my father is Evergreen is going to lose the Dreamlifter contract to Atlas Air when it expires in sept. The Dreamlifter pilots joind a union and Evergreen wouldnt allow the union contract in. The pilots decided to strike in sept and told Boeing their plans. Boeing said were not doing to deal with this and gave the contract to Atlas. Now Atlas already has a contract in place with this union and it is said Atlas will offer the Dreamlifter pilots a job there. Pilots win big, Atlas wins and Evergreen loses big time. I will look into this when I start my new job with Evergreen thurs. I will keep you posted.

seahawks7757
2010-03-30, 03:55 AM
Not a surprise at all to see this. Kinda saw it coming.

NLovis
2010-03-30, 10:44 AM
Not a surprise at all to see this. Kinda saw it coming.
Yea so did I but its the way they lost it thats shocking.

Midnight Mike
2010-03-30, 03:48 PM
Word from my father is Evergreen is going to lose the Dreamlifter contract to Atlas Air when it expires in sept. The Dreamlifter pilots joind a union and Evergreen wouldnt allow the union contract in. The pilots decided to strike in sept and told Boeing their plans. Boeing said were not doing to deal with this and gave the contract to Atlas. Now Atlas already has a contract in place with this union and it is said Atlas will offer the Dreamlifter pilots a job there. Pilots win big, Atlas wins and Evergreen loses big time. I will look into this when I start my new job with Evergreen thurs. I will keep you posted.

Wow, I knew Atlas had won the Dreamlifter contract but, did not know the details.....

hiss srq
2010-03-30, 04:13 PM
Evergreen is not really losing. They lost some garunteed lift in the deal with the dreamlifter program but they are expecting between 2 and 4 744's on property relatively soon to add capacity to the fleet. Not sure why anyone in their right mind would do that in the current cargo atmoshphere though. Air cargo is hurting pretty bad unless they are expecting an uptick in goverment lift work. Cargo that is moving is going rail road and ocean if it can go that route. It is cheaper. While I applaud the move by Evergreen pilots to get a better QOL it probably was not the brightest move in the world in the current economy where air cargo is hurting just as bad if not worse than the passenger sector. Food stuff's, goverment contract and time sensative are really the majority of what is moving by air as of late.

T-Bird76
2010-03-30, 04:51 PM
As long as Evergreen remains a CIA front company then they'll be ok LOLOL ;)

hiss srq
2010-03-30, 04:57 PM
As long as Evergreen remains a CIA front company then they'll be ok LOLOL ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :borat:

Matt Molnar
2010-03-30, 04:58 PM
Old news.

atlas-air-selected-by-boeing-to-operate-the-dreamlifter-p136256.html (http://nycaviation.com/forum/atlas-air-selected-by-boeing-to-operate-the-dreamlifter-p136256.html)
http://nycaviation.com/2010/03/05/boein ... er-flying/ (http://nycaviation.com/2010/03/05/boeing-hires-atlas-air-to-take-over-dreamlifter-flying/)

Matt Molnar
2010-03-30, 05:18 PM
All due respect to you and your dad, Nick, but I'm pretty sure the facts of the union story are a bit off.

Any union conflict involving Boeing and/or an airline is a big deal. But unionization is never mentioned anywhere in the dozens of media reports about the new contract. A Teamsters newsletter mentions the deal (Atlas pilots are Teamsters) and even says Atlas will probably hire them. It says nothing about them being unionized already.

Also, if Dreamlifter pilots had gone on strike it would have been headline news due to the disruption it would cause at Boeing. That never happened.

I think the theory that Atlas is owed a good chunk of $ from Boeing as compensation for delayed 747-8F deliveries is the most likely motivation for the move.

NIKV69
2010-03-31, 12:02 AM
All due respect to you and your dad, Nick, but I'm pretty sure the facts of the union story are a bit off.

Any union conflict involving Boeing and/or an airline is a big deal. But unionization is never mentioned anywhere in the dozens of media reports about the new contract. A Teamsters newsletter mentions the deal (Atlas pilots are Teamsters) and even says Atlas will probably hire them. It says nothing about them being unionized already.

Also, if Dreamlifter pilots had gone on strike it would have been headline news due to the disruption it would cause at Boeing. That never happened.

I think the theory that Atlas is owed a good chunk of $ from Boeing as compensation for delayed 747-8F deliveries is the most likely motivation for the move.

Well said Matt, this whole thread could have been avoided if two standard forum policies were followed, doing a search and providing a real source in the thread instead of hearsay which I was told was going to be addressed.

NLovis
2010-03-31, 03:11 PM

The strike was planned for sept when the contract was up. My father is a pretty reliable source. Hes been around the airports for 30+ years and he has sources. i do believe most of the older guys here know him.