PDA

View Full Version : KSEA 3/27/10

jerslice
2010-03-28, 04:09 AM
Crappy lighting today too has given me another bad testing run for the 7D, though I don't think it's the camera's fault this time.

Even worse than backlit in the middle of the day is a nicely lit background and an ultra poor lit subject in the foreground...like when you have the passing cloud place a shadow on the plane with a bright blue sky in the background: it really screws up the exposure. Case in point would be this:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4469447110_70f2eed537_o.jpg

Frustrated with the crappy lighting and show shutter speeds, I decided backlit would be better than the crap from the "right spot" and gave a few of these a try...nothing great:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4469447058_27665f7ed7_o.jpg

seahawks7757
2010-03-28, 04:49 AM
I love the Salmon shot!

Cary
2010-03-28, 03:26 PM
Jeremy, did you turn "Auto Lighting Optimizer" off? That's the first thing I did when I got my 7D...I don't need the camera making exposure adjustments/decisions for me.

jerslice
2010-03-28, 03:50 PM
Jeremy, did you turn "Auto Lighting Optimizer" off?

Can't say I did, but I did now :-)

So far I'm really undecided. I love the extra cropping ability, and the speed is insane. AF system seems to work reasonably well even with the relatively slow 100-400. But a lot of pics seem to need more sharpness kick than the 40D did...and most folks have told me the quality out of most of the ones I've posted just isn't as the 40D. But then again for the most part I've been shooting in conditions that normally I wouldn't consider going out in anyways.
I just got back from another overcast trip to SeaTac...will be posting those soon too.

Cary
2010-03-28, 04:30 PM
Jeremy, did you turn "Auto Lighting Optimizer" off?

Can't say I did, but I did now :-)

So far I'm really undecided. I love the extra cropping ability, and the speed is insane. AF system seems to work reasonably well even with the relatively slow 100-400. But a lot of pics seem to need more sharpness kick than the 40D did...and most folks have told me the quality out of most of the ones I've posted just isn't as the 40D. But then again for the most part I've been shooting in conditions that normally I wouldn't consider going out in anyways.
I just got back from another overcast trip to SeaTac...will be posting those soon too.

You might want to micro-adjust your lens (if you haven't done so already) if you're having to put in more sharpening than your 40D. I've found (when I actually hit the focus right), that I actually need less sharpening than I previously did. Or try increasing your shutter speed higher than you normally do. But I wouldn't worry too much, as like you said - you've been shooting these in less than ideal conditions.

jerslice
2010-03-28, 04:44 PM
You might want to micro-adjust your lens (if you haven't done so already) if you're having to put in more sharpening than your 40D. I've found (when I actually hit the focus right), that I actually need less sharpening than I previously did. Or try increasing your shutter speed higher than you normally do. But I wouldn't worry too much, as like you said - you've been shooting these in less than ideal conditions.

Reading my mind! The 100-400 hasn't been in for an overhaul. I do love the easily customizable AF system on the thing so far...very easy to switch points up on the fly.

Shutter speeds were very high today (unusually so) which seems to have helped but they still seemed a bit soft to me right out. The sky went back between thick dark overcast and filtered white crap:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/jerslice356/DPP_2528.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/jerslice356/DPP_2533.jpg

seahawks7757
2010-03-28, 06:00 PM
Sucky part about those sky's is it is easy to overexpose w/out really trying.

NLovis
2010-03-29, 02:03 AM
Dude that alaska shot is sick. The background is killer. Hell that would look good with a all white plane and all blue tail in the palce of that 737. If you dont want that camera i'll be more then happy to take it off your hands :mrgreen:

Mayi757
2010-03-30, 12:35 AM
Pretty Alaska shot. Usually I'm not into the artsy sunrise/sunset shots where a plane is all black and can't even tell what operator it is (the whole point of why I shoot airliners in the first place). I like that on this one the paintscheme is visible.

NLovis
2010-04-01, 08:36 PM
Pretty Alaska shot. Usually I'm not into the artsy sunrise/sunset shots where a plane is all black and can't even tell what operator it is (the whole point of why I shoot airliners in the first place). I like that on this one the paintscheme is visible.
Thats like a perfect shot. A lighted plane of that one shot i think would have blended in a bit. Its killer :borat: