PDA

View Full Version : BA Cabin Crew Strikes

NLovis
2010-03-21, 01:33 AM
Well its official folks. BA cabin crews started their strike yesterday. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. We had 2 ferry arrivals because of this and its only bound to get worse as the days go by.

Matt Molnar
2010-03-21, 02:37 AM
Well its official folks. BA cabin crews started their strike yesterday. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. We had 2 ferry arrivals because of this and its only bound to get worse as the days go by.
All the normal 777 flights to JFK are scheduled to continue operating. The 74s are canceled until the strike is over.

seahawks7757
2010-03-21, 03:19 AM
There has also been a surprising amout of "scabs" in this. Personally I support the "scabs" because all striking does is cost the company millions for somes thingthat honestly seems stupid.

hiss srq
2010-03-21, 10:53 AM
There has also been a surprising amout of "scabs" in this. Personally I support the "scabs" because all striking does is cost the company millions for somes thingthat honestly seems stupid.
And this is the reason the airline industry is doomed for employees. You show your youngh age here and limited experince in the airline industry. No offense but your views are way off. An honest day's work is an honest day's pay. Next time you are cramming 155 bags into the bin on a CRJ700 on Christmas eve at 9 PM making about 10.00 an hour just remember this... "The Company" has already been home for probably 7 hours and about now are pouring some scotch by a warm fire place in their big house full of massive amounts of gifts which they didnt even flinch at the price of because they are properly compensated. Meanwhile you had to buy everyone a $10.00 bottle of wine for x mas which they will silently give to their neighbors on Boxing day because no one drinks $10.00 wine. Strike away folks. Strike away! If they won't treat those who make the money well than burn the friggin house down.

seahawks7757
2010-03-21, 04:10 PM
And this is the reason the airline industry is doomed for employees. You show your youngh age here and limited experince in the airline industry. No offense but your views are way off. An honest day's work is an honest day's pay. Next time you are cramming 155 bags into the bin on a CRJ700 on Christmas eve at 9 PM making about 10.00 an hour just remember this... "The Company" has already been home for probably 7 hours and about now are pouring some scotch by a warm fire place in their big house full of massive amounts of gifts which they didnt even flinch at the price of because they are properly compensated. Meanwhile you had to buy everyone a $10.00 bottle of wine for x mas which they will silently give to their neighbors on Boxing day because no one drinks $10.00 wine. Strike away folks. Strike away! If they won't treat those who make the money well than burn the friggin house down.

True but I figure that is what I get for being so low in seniority though. And we do get holiday pay which is double time and a half. 8 free hours and then time and a half on top of that isn't so bad.

hiss srq
2010-03-21, 04:40 PM
At the same time, don't you think that if you could improve your working conditions it would be a good idea?.... I have been down in the trenches with an airline. I was a Passenger Service Agent in a focus city with a major airline for 6 months and after that I was in operations doing Ramp Control. The union protection offered in the airlines is priceless when management is not out for everyones best intrests. Not to mention... If you ever became an airline pilot and you even remotely expressed those views you will either be unhireable because the pilots that interview you on the panel interview at most airlines are line pilots and unionized and if make it to an airline you will be treated negatively by most of your peers. That means expect jumpseat refusal's all the time and just a general cold sholder. There is an actual "Scab List" among airline pilots which is passed around and if you are on it good luck. Food for thought when deciding to persue a career in the airlines in any capacity.

NLovis
2010-03-21, 07:25 PM
Hiss is right. $9 and change will only go so far. Nowhere. Most problems in the industry can be advoided if they paid a much better wage. As of late we have been only getting 1-2 777 flights a day here at JFK. But i'm expecting some more now since gothem said it doesnt affect 777 flights. Oh well hope the 175 doesnt come in tomorrow :borat:

NLovis
2010-03-23, 01:47 AM
Ok the 747's are flying into JFK but as freighter flights. No pax whatsoever.

NLovis
2010-03-23, 11:50 PM
Update. The strike is over. I was talking to one of the BA employes tonight and she said it was over. It was a 3 day strike with a 2nd strike planned. She didnt remember exact dates but look for another strike in the future. As far as what a/c typed it affects is unknown but I can say the 747 flights will be affected again.

Matt Molnar
2010-03-24, 01:26 PM
The second strike is set for Saturday through Tuesday. BA expects more people to show up for work, enough to run a full sched out of Gatwick and LCY, and 55% of short-haul + 70% of long-haul out of LHR.

NLovis
2010-03-24, 03:36 PM
The second strike is set for Saturday through Tuesday. BA expects more people to show up for work, enough to run a full sched out of Gatwick and LCY, and 55% of short-haul + 70% of long-haul out of LHR.
Ah ok.

NLovis
2010-03-29, 12:04 AM
Strikes are up again folks. Yea i'm a day late :mrgreen: