PDA

View Full Version : My First SSD drive is in the mail!

Derf
2010-03-14, 09:25 PM
OCZ Vertex Series 2.5" 60GB SATA II SSD $169
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... SID=133499 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227394&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction&AID=10440897&PID=404255&SID=133499)

I can not wait!!! Like 0ms seek time and windows will start in like 10 seconds!!!! (not really but it will seem that way)
Tis is what I have been waiting for, affordable FAST AS HELL drives...MTBF is 83.333 years!!!!! I will be loosing 20 gig and of
HDD space as I have an 80 gig and will be doing it with a smile!

current 80GIG HDD
640GB HDD is under $100
but this 60GB going to make my pc seem ten thousand times faster than I can imagine.... Priceless!!!!

Has anyone else considered getting one? I can not wait until the price comes down lower, a bigger drive would be nice but
still to pricey! This one will probably be in use for 20+years

Derf
2010-03-14, 09:41 PM
Customer reviews

"Pros: I have now owned this drive for over a year, my first review is here dated 4/13/2008, and you can read both of the previous reviews here. When I bought this drive it had just dropped under $1,000.00 and I do not regret my purchase. My laptop still boots very fast and shuts down in no time.

Cons: None, not a single one. Yes they are still expensive, they have limited storage capacity."

Another
"Pros: Incredible! this is the fastest drive I have ever used.
After my MOBO posts, loading Vista 64x takes anywhere from 3-6 seconds. this thing runs like a dream!

Cons: It is a little small... so mounting in my gargantuan case(ThermalTake Armor series) was not the easiest thing in the world, but was easly overcome. and if you are more patient then I am, go to a local PC store and buy a mounting card, or bracket for your case.

Other Thoughts: amazing, simply amazing!
Buy one now!
If ya don't feel like dropping 700 on a HDD, take a look around NewEgg for other SSD's, they are well worth the buy!"

Lots of people are putting them in desktops as a boot drive, the 30GB is cheap in terms of cost. I can only imagine what FSX would be like! Talked about it at work for months saying how I wish I had some money and I could not wait. My Birthday present to me.....I CAN NOT WAIT! Everyone at work has been getting them and one of my friends had a XP startup time of 49 seconds with his 100gb hdd, he got the 60 gig and is down to 11 seconds after a drive copy! Traditional hard drives have a MTBF of about 8 years and usually does not come close to that in a laptop! MTBF = Mean time between failure. With this drive at 83.333, I can say SAFE DATA!

EXCITED to say the least!

fyGiiRnpoak

bId-C_2y5xI

pRP8aX3t7RE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

mirrodie
2010-03-15, 10:18 AM
To clarify, what is an SSD drive? Is that solid state?

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-03-15, 10:22 AM
Yes it is a solid state drive.

Fred, if you are running XP or Vista make sure you have the latest firmware for the drive because OCZ released TRIM support for it. Windows 7 has built in TRIM support.

Derf
2010-03-15, 11:25 AM
thanks, I have set a few up and have been reading the forums. they have very nice documentation. They also have very good speedtests to see how it is working and good troublesooting if it is not running up to par.... A HDD company that encourages you to run the speed tests!!! GO FIGURE! :borat:

Fighting_falcon_51
2010-03-15, 11:35 AM
thanks, I have set a few up and have been reading the forums. they have very nice documentation. They also have very good speedtests to see how it is working and good troublesooting if it is not running up to par.... A HDD company that encourages you to run the speed tests!!! GO FIGURE! :borat:

You can download [url=http://www.hdtune.com/download.html]HD Tune[/img] and test your speeds. You should compare your old HDD and your new SSD!

Derf
2010-03-15, 11:49 AM
I will post the results :borat:

I plan on doing a fresh xp install so bootup time compare will not be possible.

Derf
2010-03-16, 07:43 PM
OMG!!!! :shock: I can not keep up! Rebooting after every device driver is JOY and 10 seconds!!! THIS IS UNREAL!!!!!!!