PDA

View Full Version : Sully retiring

emshighway
2010-03-03, 12:41 AM
Sully Sullenberger retires from USAirways on 3/3/10. USAirways Flight 1167 from FLL to CLT, departs FLL at 1:05 EST

Good luck Sully!!!

NLovis
2010-03-03, 12:52 AM
Wow. Didnt see that comming.

hiss srq
2010-03-03, 02:28 AM
Ems.... any verifyable sources on this. I am trying to track down more info on this right now via internal means and coming up relatively blank.

NLovis
2010-03-03, 02:59 AM
Ems.... any verifyable sources on this. I am trying to track down more info on this right now via internal means and coming up relatively blank.
LGA777. He would be THE verifiable source.

MarkLawrence
2010-03-03, 08:10 AM
I have searched the news media and can't find anything. Ron - if you can confirm it and the flight from FLL - I will do my best to get out there and try to get some shots.

hiss srq
2010-03-03, 11:54 AM
LGA777. He would be THE verifiable source.
I know, I used to work with him within booger flicking distance. :borat: :lol: Just kidding cheif!

LGA777
2010-03-03, 12:36 PM
Folks, I was off yesterday and today and this news caught me by surprise. Their are several articles in the media confirming he is retiring effective today, none mention the specific flight and I have no way to confirm but is likely accurate. The article also mention that FA Doreen Walsh, the most senior of the 3 and the one working in the back will retire as well.

ALL I know for now !

LGA777

hiss srq
2010-03-03, 12:53 PM
Ron, I did some more digging and all info you posted is correct. One additional tid bit. Jeff Skiles will be the F/O for Captain Sullenberger's final flight with USAirways. Still proud to say I was once a USAirways LGA guy today! Godspeed in retirement Sully though I am sure this is not a retirement. Only from US.

MarkLawrence
2010-03-03, 12:56 PM
Weather isn't the best - some cloud cover at FLL but I'll be there to document the departure.

MarkLawrence
2010-03-03, 12:57 PM
Inbound just landed at FLL - AWE1167 is the outbound at 1:18pm.

LGA777
2010-03-03, 12:58 PM
Just posted on Sully's Facebook page that his publicist Alex writes for him !

From Sully: "I wanted you to know that I am retiring from US Airways today, after thirty years of service as a commercial airline pilot. I am grateful that Jeff Skiles - my First Officer on Flight 1549 - will be at my side today during my final flight. I will miss my friends at US Airways, and it has been a privilege to serve the flying public. Thank you." Thanks - and stay tuned! -

LGA777

emshighway
2010-03-03, 01:18 PM
If I tell you where I got the info I must then kill you all :shock:

Actually I saw it on LiveATC.net :(

It does make me wonder though. He was suppose to be going into Corporate to work on Safety. Was it just a figure head position where he couldn't do anything or was there some difficulty that he just got fed up?

Matt Molnar
2010-03-03, 01:28 PM
It does make me wonder though. He was suppose to be going into Corporate to work on Safety. Was it just a figure head position where he couldn't do anything or was there some difficulty that he just got fed up?
Book money + lecture circuit = $$$$$. Good on him.

emshighway
2010-03-03, 02:16 PM
Book money + lecture circuit = $$$$$. Good on him.

When I was speaking with him at LGA it didn't seem like he was wasn't into that. It appeared he was really into getting more into the safety of the airline.

hiss srq
2010-03-03, 02:19 PM
You can have all the good will you want though but USAirways will break anyones back. Upper management puts on a puppet show for the public while they jam the knife into your back and middle management on the station level is so desperate to impress these goons that they alienate employees and customers to puff numbers. US is not the carrier it may have been even many eon's before I came to the company. That carrier causes alot of heartbreak unfortuneately to everyone but the share holders in Tempe. Even they probably dread walking into the office on Rio Salado Blvd. every day.

In summery, I am sure he wants to just get out of the puppet show US has built around him, get away from the press that hounds him every step of the way and probably avoid that dreadful commute to CLT from SFO he has to endure to go to work in the first place. Now that he can safely afford to live on book income, his real estate ventures, and his own aviation safety consultation companies income why would anyone want to stick around at US? The non rev benifits are terrible these days I hear anyway. He can retire and talk at aviation conventions for 50K a pop and he deserves it.

LGA777
2010-03-03, 02:24 PM
Just finished listening to Cactus 1167 depart KFLL, nice job by the folks in the ATC tower their, as 2 local TV helicopters where filming the departure should be some video on their websites soon. Mark, glad you where their to document for us, look forward to your shots. According to the latest Metar sky changed from Overcast to Broken, so hope their was at least a little sun?

LGA777

hiss srq
2010-03-03, 03:14 PM
Sully has a movie! :lol: :lol:
MHjA7xck9MM

MarkLawrence
2010-03-03, 03:16 PM
That was a really nice comment from FLL tower for Sully. Unfortunately - around roll and lift off (you'll see in a while), clouds rolled back in. There were also 2 TV crews on the top of the Hibiscus garage - one had my scanner for sound - so you might see/hear some of that too.

NLovis
2010-03-03, 03:27 PM
Rats. Its a sad day indeed

MarkLawrence
2010-03-03, 03:49 PM
Sorry about the quality - clouds came over....

http://www.tavustheman.com/images/AWE1167-2.jpg

http://www.tavustheman.com/images/AWE1167-5.jpg

LGA777
2010-03-03, 04:02 PM
Thanks for getting them up so fast Mark, and the shots are fine, no apologies needed. I heard ground clear him to cross 27R then taxi eastbound on Alpha, as your photos also show. I assume that allowed them to skip the line that it sounded like their was for 27R?

Thanks for the coverage Mark !

LGA777

MarkLawrence
2010-03-03, 04:03 PM
For those who want to listen, here is the download from LiveATC.net - Cactus 1167 starts around 15:08.

http://www.tavustheman.com/images/KFLL- ... -1800Z.mp3 (http://www.tavustheman.com/images/KFLL-Mar-03-2010-1800Z.mp3)

What was really nice after the hand off to Miami was all the pilots with "Bye Sully" comments and then this little "Thank you" was the reply. Having just finished reading his book as well, he really is the consummate professional.

LGA777
2010-03-03, 04:09 PM
While trying to catch Sully and Jeff on CLT ground (unsuccessfully) I heard the funniest ATC transmission I have heard in a while. Ground was speaking with Cactus 1109, an A-319 to JAX waiting to come out of the alley, it went something like this. Cactus 1109, give way to the twin Cessna right to left, taxi to 36 right, caution "prop wash" from the twin Cessna ! The Airbus crew was very amused.

LGA777

MarkLawrence
2010-03-03, 04:13 PM
Ron

Yes - he got priority cross 27R and then on Alpha to the end. It was as he reached the end that ATC come across with their nice words and he was cleared for line up ahead of a line of 7 that were on Bravo! Didn't hear anyone complaining!! :)

PhilDernerJr
2010-03-03, 05:57 PM
:arrow: Sully’s Final Departure: Miracle on the Hudson Hero Flies Into Retirement (w/ Photos) (http://nycaviation.com/2010/03/03/sullys-final-departure-miracle-on-the-hudson-hero-flies-into-retirement-w-photos/)

Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, a national hero for his successful water landing of US Airways Flight 1549 into the Hudson River, completed his final airline flight today, entering retirment following a 40 year career as a professional pilot. We bring you photos of his last departure out of Ft. Lauderdale.

emshighway
2010-03-03, 06:26 PM
I love the "who was that masked man" comment.

NLovis
2010-03-03, 06:26 PM
Rats...

wunaladreamin
2010-03-03, 06:33 PM
Rats...
http://members.madasafish.com/~cj_whitehound/Rats_Nest/artwork/clipart/b+w_rat_sitting_up_with_hands_outstretched.gif

Speedbird1
2010-03-03, 07:35 PM
Sully deserves his retirement. He is the ultimate professional pilot, someone others can emulate. We wish him all the best in retirement. Maybe one day he'll become a pilot trainer. Best wishes! A true American hero.

LGA777
2010-03-04, 12:21 AM
Here are 2 of the CLT TV News Stories

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/22731563/index.html

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=12075786

LGA777

NLovis
2010-03-04, 01:14 AM
Sully deserves his retirement. He is the ultimate professional pilot, someone others can emulate. We wish him all the best in retirement. Maybe one day he'll become a pilot trainer. Best wishes! A true American hero.
True. Though we now also lost one of our best.

Speedbird1
2010-03-05, 01:31 PM
I have the highest respect for Sully. I went out to visit on the anniversary of the mid-Hudson arrival viewing from the Intrepid Pier when his ferry went out to the exact spot where he touched-down on the Hudson. I can't say enough good things about this consummate professional and wish him and his family the best of everything. He is a true hero. These days we honor guys who really are not heroes but Sully sets the standard. I wish we had more men and women like him.

coachrowsey
2010-03-06, 10:38 PM
I was able to meet Sully the day before he retired & get my copy of his book signed. No wonder he was so happy that day.

NLovis
2010-03-07, 02:07 AM
I was able to meet Sully the day before he retired & get my copy of his book signed. No wonder he was so happy that day.
I think hes usually happy.

Mateo
2010-03-08, 12:27 AM
Isn't he also 59, meaning mandatory retirement was just a few months away?

Futterman
2010-03-08, 01:06 AM
Isn't he also 59, meaning mandatory retirement was just a few months away?

Pilots can now stick around until they're 65.
http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2007/071214retirement.html