PDA

View Full Version : Who was JFK Tower Manager?

Speedbird1
2010-02-25, 07:01 AM
I can't recall the name of the JFK Tower Manager in the early 80's when I was obsessed with JFK operations. I often wrote him letters as there was no internet. Best of all, he gave me a personal tour annually of the Tower where I got to meet all the guys and shake hands. Also, I met Dave, 1 of my favorites, who has since moved on. Can anybody recall his name? I have lost sleep over his name. Of course, tours were ended after the PanAm 103 attack.

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-25, 09:53 AM
I don't know of him, but there ARE tours on occasion that people can take advantage of. I'll let you know if I come across any. Interested?

lijk604
2010-02-25, 10:07 AM
DEFINITELY!

Vidiot
2010-02-25, 11:29 PM
I would definitely be very interested in a possible tower tour as well.

ISP Pilot
2010-02-26, 02:06 AM
I would be interested too. I took one in 2004 which was organized by Andy and ATC Dave when jfktower.com was up. Would love to go back.

NLovis
2010-02-26, 09:43 AM
Definitly interested

GolfTango
2010-02-26, 03:45 PM
I too would be very interested! I constantly listen to the JFK tower on my iPhone. LiveATC and FlightAware Live Tracking are great apps!

NLovis
2010-02-27, 12:06 AM
Hey are there any tracking programs for the computer? Preferably one where you can track a/c tail #'s?

kc2aqg
2010-02-28, 06:38 AM
I would be interested too. I took one in 2004 which was organized by Andy and ATC Dave when jfktower.com was up. Would love to go back.

That was a great tour! :D Dave really went to a lot of trouble to pull that one together. It is my understanding that security is fairly tight to get up there and visitor's names need to be pre-registered and checked out before they can be cleared to go up.

Unfortunately Dave has moved on from ATC and I lost touch with him a few years back. I did keep in touch with another controller I met on the tour that was extremely nice to me, but unfortunately she has since retired.

Phil, if you do get a tour organized I would consider flying up from ATL for that! Would definitely be interested.

Speedbird1
2010-02-28, 04:27 PM
After losing 2 nights sleep, I remembered the name of the JFK Control TowerManager in the 80's who gave me an annual private tour. His name was Edward Trudeau. He has since retired like Dave. The MTA one summer day gave a group tour of JFK. A tram took us around the IAB and we were allowed to depart the tram and walk around the tarmac to photograph the Concorde. We were also taken through the security area to see operations.We were also taken as a group to the new Control Tower, but only up to the Ground Control level. We were not allowed up to witness operations of the arrival/departure controllers so we were disappointed. There was a small fee, about $15. I forgot which year and it was not re-scheduled again.

bonanzabucks
2010-03-02, 08:12 PM
Count me in as well!

Whatever happened with Dave anyways?

NLovis
2010-03-03, 05:29 AM
[quote="ISP Pilot":atmspyao]I did keep in touch with another controller I met on the tour that was extremely nice to me, but unfortunately she has since retired.
Was that the same controller that let you clear a plane to land? I was very jealous! :)[/quote:atmspyao]
DUDE SWEET!