PDA

View Full Version : Bayswater to Close April 1st (UPDATE: OPEN AGAIN)

Matt Molnar
2010-02-24, 05:00 AM
NYCAviation:

:arrow: Bayswater Point State Park, Popular Kennedy Airport Planespotting Location, to Close April 1st (http://nycaviation.com/2010/02/24/bayswater-point-state-park-popular-kennedy-airport-planespotting-location-to-close-april-1st/)

Bayswater Point State Park, popular with planespotters for its prime views of JFK International Airport is slated to become a victim of massive budget cuts when the new fiscal year begins April 1st. [Full Article (http://nycaviation.com/2010/02/24/bayswater-point-state-park-popular-kennedy-airport-planespotting-location-to-close-april-1st/)]

JZ1
2010-02-24, 09:07 AM
That's bad news. :(

hiss srq
2010-02-24, 11:49 AM
RATS! No seriously... there are tons of them there. But that is besides the point. This is a major bummer. In the spring time and certainly the early days of summer this is my favorite spotting location bar none. Best view and most relaxing. I hope they decide to keep it open without MX. Anyone intrested in buying a lawn mower!?

AirtrafficController
2010-02-24, 11:54 AM
Very disappointing news and like Ryan said, I hope they keep it open. It's a great spot in the Spring/Fall even in the winter though its really cold.

MarkLawrence
2010-02-24, 12:12 PM
Boooo...sucks!!! I love Bayswater - have been there on every trip to NY! I hope they keep it open but not maintained!

chrisparypa
2010-02-24, 03:21 PM
My favorite place.... Maybe its a good chance for spotters form NY ?? to talk to someone about taking care of this place ?? and make a Bayswater Spotting Park ?? some cleaning, time to time and anything else about "taking care" of the place.... Some donation program on the website, I know Phil and crew can do a lot in NY :) just don't take me wrong I know you guys have much more important thing to do... Im just giving little Ideas....

I hope even if they will close Bayswater we will be able to use this place.... I love Bayswater.....

wunaladreamin
2010-02-24, 04:29 PM
This sucks. I have fond memories of a ever-so-slightly brisk May morning there with Andy and Mark lol! This is a huge loss for all of us for sure.

MarkLawrence
2010-02-24, 08:37 PM
ever-so-slightly brisk May morning there with Andy and Mark lol!

I know Andy and I well never forget it either! Of course, knowing you are Canadian explains that morning a whole lot more Eh :lol:

lijk604
2010-02-24, 09:57 PM
This blows! Losing a spot like that hurts a bunch. But we are a determined group, I'm sure someone will find a replacement spot.

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-24, 10:23 PM
I can't imagine the spot being completely shuttered....maybe just not maintained....even though it wasn't very maintained to begin with.

We will have to wait and see. That's a pretty vital spotting location for us.

SevenSix
2010-02-24, 11:14 PM
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7721/savebayswater.jpg (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/savebayswater.jpg/)

threeholerglory
2010-02-25, 12:51 AM
lol shane you would...

Delta777LR
2010-02-25, 01:12 AM
This is bummer! im not happy to hear about this... Bayswater was one of my favorate places to be at.. I hope it doesnt close, Im praying for that

T-Bird76
2010-02-25, 02:57 PM
but not maintained

Bayswater is maintained now? Wow I couldn't tell...

You don't close parks to save money, the idea of a public park isn't to make money but to better society. NYS Gov't is a total disgrace....

Matt Molnar
2010-02-25, 03:36 PM
but not maintained

Bayswater is maintained now? Wow I couldn't tell...
That guy who drives around on the tractor once in awhile probably makes $200K. :cry:

Matt Molnar
2010-02-25, 03:45 PM
The state does not own many parks within the city, but the mayor has previously offered to take over other state parks, i.e. Fulton Ferry State Park in Brooklyn. Maybe they could do it with Bayswater.

Probably 90% of the maintenance cost is opening and closing the gate every day. Other than that, the park doesn't have any bathrooms or anything to maintain, only a couple of trash cans to empty. Trim the grass once a week (there isn't all that much of it) and pick up some trash.

I'm going to look up some folks to contact and see what we can do.

Matt Molnar
2010-02-25, 03:56 PM
Some new facts about the closures, which would affect over 50 facilities across the state. What a joke:

— Would save only $6.3 million overall, about 7/10ths of 1 percent of the state's $8.2 billion budget gap.
— Would likely reduce tourism tax revenue by more than that.
— Just a half hour after the parks news, state officials announced $7.7 million in taxpayer-funded grants to help private developers and companies renovate buildings, buy equipment and build apartments.

Idlewild
2010-02-26, 09:18 AM
I'm going to play Mr. Conspiracy Theory and say that spotters are probably a main reason for the closure under the guise of budget cuts. I don't think the City taking over would help any either. Oh well. There's always the Inwood Country Club. Can anyone loan me $8,000.00?

moose135
2010-02-26, 09:57 AM
I'm going to play Mr. Conspiracy Theory and say that spotters are probably a main reason for the closure under the guise of budget cuts.
How does your theory fit into the reports that they are looking at multiple park closures, most of which have no connection to spotting? I really doubt this has anything to do with spotting activity.

NLovis
2010-02-26, 10:40 AM
Rats. I was looking foward to spotting from there during the summer when I had my range finally

Idlewild
2010-02-26, 11:30 AM
I'm going to play Mr. Conspiracy Theory and say that spotters are probably a main reason for the closure under the guise of budget cuts.
How does your theory fit into the reports that they are looking at multiple park closures, most of which have no connection to spotting? I really doubt this has anything to do with spotting activity.

I said a main reason. Not the reason. You can't deny that NY/NJPA would love to see Bayswater off-limits. They already succeeded in making a perimeter around the airport off limits to boats. And this is supposedly in a public waterway. What other parks are being closed? Are they also in the City, or upstate and/or LI?

Cary
2010-02-26, 01:23 PM
I bet you Al Roker is behind this. Someone get on the line with Ann Curry, and tell her that her favorite spotting area is being closed! :)

NIKV69
2010-02-26, 05:12 PM
I can't see why this can be one of the parks that is just left open and not maintained though that grass will get high and the spotter tick will leave the mounds to go there.

hiss srq
2010-02-26, 06:05 PM
Anyone intrested in pooling funds for a lawnmower to keep a track open? Might have room someplace in the office on Burnside someplace to store it! :borat: :lol:

Mayi757
2010-02-26, 10:53 PM
I said a main reason. Not the reason. You can't deny that NY/NJPA would love to see Bayswater off-limits. They already succeeded in making a perimeter around the airport off limits to boats. And this is supposedly in a public waterway. What other parks are being closed? Are they also in the City, or upstate and/or LI?

How close (or far off) can one be on a boat to the airport boundary?

The irony is, while they go this far to make it harder to watch planes closely, the Islamo-crazies are still running around free (like the Muslim guy they finally arrested the other day involved in trying to bomb the subway). The places where these guys are indoctrinated REMAIN OPEN, parks are closed, and something as simple as watching planes has become a hassle nowadays.

NLovis
2010-02-27, 12:04 AM
I know what you mean. Well the only thing we can do is try to talk to these ppl and convince them to leave it open. Maby telling them we can partally maintain it might convince them :borat:

Gerard
2010-02-27, 12:53 AM

I said a main reason. Not the reason. You can't deny that NY/NJPA would love to see Bayswater off-limits.

More for Homeland Security reasons I would believe than Spotting actvities.

NLovis
2010-02-27, 01:10 AM

I said a main reason. Not the reason. You can't deny that NY/NJPA would love to see Bayswater off-limits.

More for Homeland Security reasons I would believe than Spotting actvities.
Well we cant let them now can we?

Mayi757
2010-02-27, 08:52 AM
Imagine a boat full of spotters. Wonder how long that'd last :lol: Wonder if it was even possible to watch aircraft or get pictures from a boat there before 9/11

wunaladreamin
2010-02-27, 09:29 AM
These guys lasted for a while that morning!
http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/2/0/8/73875_1219800802.jpg

Mayi757
2010-02-28, 05:35 AM
Wow! what a shot bro!

Yea those boaters seem pretty close to the action, very surprised to see that. But I don't see anyone with a lens :mrgreen:

wunaladreamin
2010-02-28, 10:06 AM
Thanks Mario! Yeah, it seemed the heavier the bird, the less they cared lol.

chrisparypa
2010-02-28, 11:45 AM
wow... amazing shot Kenny !! If they will close Bayswater I can offer my boat u can pack 10 ppl on board and there is still lots of room for beer....

Mayi757
2010-02-28, 02:28 PM
haha

Seriously, I can't imagine, back when I was at JFK how beautiful the Air Zimbabwe would have looked from a boat as it took off and banked off 13R..

If so many boaters "pretending" to be fishing are out there then who says one can't watch the planes.. and maybe get a pic or two? :)

NLovis
2010-02-28, 11:20 PM
Well we need to figure something out here. I like the boating idea though

george
2010-03-11, 05:32 PM

Here's the list of closures
Central Region

* Chittenango Falls State Park (Madison)--Close Park
* Clark Reservation State Park (Onondaga)--Close Park
* Fort Ontario State Historic Site (Oswego)--Close Historic Site
* Helen McNitt State Park (Madison)--Close Park
* Herkimer Home Historic Site (Herkimer)--Close Historic Site
* Hunts Pond State Park (Chenango)--Close Park
* Oquaga Creek State Park (Broome)--Close Park
* Old Erie Canal State Park (Onondaga)--Close Park
* Oriskany Battlefield/Steuben SHS (Oneida)--Close Historic Site
* Pixley Falls State Park (Oneida)--Close Park
* Robert Riddell State Park (Delaware)--Close Park
* Selkirk Shores State Park (Oswego)--Close Public Swimming Beach

Finger Lakes Region

* Beechwood State Park (Wayne)--Close Park
* Bonavista State Park (Seneca)--Close Park
* Chimney Bluffs State Park (Wayne)--Close Park
* Newtown Battlefield State Park (Chemung)--Close Park
* Springbrook Greens State Park (Cayuga)--Close Park
* Two Rivers State Park (Tioga)--Close Park
* Buttermilk Falls State Park (Tompkins)--Close Public Swimming Area
* Seneca Lake State Park (Seneca)--Close Lake Swimming Beach
* Stony Brook State Park (Steuben)--Close Public Swimming Area

Thousand Islands Region

* Canoe Island State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park
* Cedar Island State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park
* Eel Weir State Park (St. Lawrence)--Close Park
* Keewaydin State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park
* Macomb Reservation State Park (Clinton)--Close Park
* Mary Island State Park (Jefferson)--Close Park
* Point Au Roche State Park (Clinton)--Close Park
* Sackets Harbor State Historic Site (Jefferson)--Close Historic Site

Long Island

* Brookhaven State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park
* Bethpage State Park (Suffolk)--Eliminate Winter Sports; Reduce picnic area and polo field
* Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Suffolk)--Close Park
* Cold Spring Harbor State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park
* Connetquot River State Park (Suffolk)--Close Weekdays
* Heckscher State Park (Suffolk)--Close Swimming Pool
* Jones Beach State Park (Nassau)--Close West Swimming Pool; Eliminate July 4th fireworks
* Montauk Downs State Park (Suffolk)--Close Swimming Pool
* Nissequogue River State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park
* Orient Beach State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park
* Trail View State Park (Suffolk)--Close Park

New York City Region

* Bayswater Point State Park (Queens)--Close Park
* Riverbank State Park (New York)--Reduce Operating Hours; Close Outdoor Swimming Pool; Eliminate Seniors Classes, and Community/Cultural Events

Palisades Region

* Fort Montgomery Historic Site (Orange)--Close Historic Site
* Harriman SP– Anthony Wayne (Orange)--Close Park Area
* Harriman SP – Group Camps (Orange)--Reduce Maintenance
* High Tor State Park (Rockland)--Close Pool
* Knox Headquarters Historic Site (Orange)--Close Historic Site
* New Windsor Cantonment SHS (Orange)-- Close Historic Site
* Schunnemunk State Park (Orange)-- Close Park
* Stony Point State Historic Site (Orange)--Close Historic Site
* Tallman Mountain State Park (Rockland)--Close Pool

Taconic Region

* Donald J. Trump State Park (Westchester)--Close Park
* FDR (Roosevelt) State Park (Westchester)--Reduce Swimming Pool Season
* Hudson Highlands State Park (Putnam)--Close Arden Point Area
* James Baird State Park (Dutchess)--Reduce Golf Course Season
* Mills Norrie State Park (Dutchess)--Reduce Golf Course Season
* Olana State Historic Site (Columbia)--Close 2 Days per Week
* Philipse Manor Hall Historic Site (Westchester)--Close Historic Site
* Rockefeller State Park Preserve (Westchester)--Eliminate Interpretive Programs
* Taconic Outdoor Education Center (Putnam)--Eliminate Interpretive Programs
* Taconic State Park – Rudd Pond (Dutchess)--Close Rudd Pond Area
* Wonder Lake State Park (Putnam)--Close Park

Saratoga-Capital Region

* Bennington Battlefield State Historic Site (Rensselaer)--Close Historic Site
* Hudson River Islands State Park (Rensselaer)--Close Park
* John Boyd Thacher State Park (Albany)--Close Park
* John Brown Farm Historic Site (Essex)--Close Historic Site
* Johnson Hall State Historic Site (Fulton)--Close Historic Site
* Max V. Shaul State Park (Schoharie)--Close Park
* Schodack Island State Park (Rensselaer)--Close Park
* Schoharie Crossing Historic Site (Montgomery)--Close Historic Site
* Schuyler Mansion Historic Site (Albany)--Close Historic Site

Genesee Region

* Hamlin Beach State Park (Monroe)--Close Swimming Beach 3 Days per Week
* Oak Orchard State Marine Park (Orleans)--Close Park
* Regionwide Multiple Eliminate Camper Recreation Program

Niagara Region

* Joseph Davis State Park (Niagara)--Close Park
* Knox Farm State Park (Erie)--Close Park
* Niagara Falls State Park (Niagara)-- Reduce Interpretive Programs
* Wilson-Tuscarora State Park (Niagara)--Close Park
* Woodlawn Beach State Park (Erie)-- Close Park

Allegany Region

* Allegany State Park (Cattaraugus)--Close Quaker Area Swim Beach; Close Quaker Cabins Area on December 1st; Eliminate Winter Trails Maintenance; Reduce Recreation Programs
* Long Point State Park (Chautauqua)--Close Park

wunaladreamin
2010-03-11, 06:02 PM
Wow! A couple of other closures will piss me off! Bethpage closing the polo fields?!?! I have fond memories of going there with my grandmother and my cousins to watch the games over lunch. The coolest things were going onto the fields to replace the divets in between chuckers, and if a ball went out of play and you caught it, you kept it lol. And the Jones Beach fireworks display was just as cool as the Macy's getup in the city, with about 1/3 of the travel time. Bogus.

T-Bird76
2010-03-11, 08:00 PM
What a disgrace the above list is.... I can't believe they are nixing the Jones Beach Fireworks. Our State Gov't is a total failure, you don't close public parks and parks aren't supposed to turn a profit. Parks are there for the betterment of society and for people to escape to places of peace and tranquility.

hiss srq
2010-03-11, 08:12 PM
No worries Tom. It will create cost of overtime to the cops who have to give tresspassing tickets out and arrest all the drug dealers and pimps pedding their product in those closed parks. :lol:

T-Bird76
2010-03-11, 09:39 PM
No worries Tom. It will create cost of overtime to the cops who have to give tresspassing tickets out and arrest all the drug dealers and pimps pedding their product in those closed parks. :lol:

Sad thing that's true.... Watch crime go up in some of these areas.

MarkLawrence
2010-03-11, 09:41 PM
Sad....very sad!

NLovis
2010-03-12, 10:51 AM
WHAT! JONES BEACH!!!!!!! :x :shock:

george
2010-03-12, 11:23 AM
Hopefully they won't go through with all the closures... I was really shocked to see the Jones Beach Fireworks on the list.

NLovis
2010-03-12, 11:58 AM
Hopefully they won't go through with all the closures... I was really shocked to see the Jones Beach Fireworks on the list.
JONES BEACHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! WHATTTTTTTTTTT! :shock:

PhilDernerJr
2010-03-12, 05:04 PM
The Bayswater Park Closing gave NYCAviation an unexpected mention in the Queens Chronicle today.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 4908&rfi=6 (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20415637&BRD=2731&PAG=461&dept_id=574908&rfi=6)

Matt Molnar
2010-03-12, 10:38 PM
They're not closing Jones Beach, just canceling the annual 4th of July fireworks.

NLovis
2010-03-13, 12:00 AM
They're not closing Jones Beach, just canceling the annual 4th of July fireworks.
i know but still WHATTTTTTTTTT :mrgreen:

NIKV69
2010-03-13, 02:29 PM
Unreal, now we will not be getting our tax refund checks in a timely manner because NY is out of money? My God will Paterson go down as one of the worst people to ever call himself a politician. I am embarrassed and ashamed to say I live in the state of NY. I don't get surprised when I see a state like California in this shape but NY should have never gotten to this point. It really is sad.

Tom_Turner
2010-03-13, 10:44 PM
Paterson is a mess but he did not run the State into fiscal catastrophe. What's he going to do, print dollars? Maybe Ravitch can borrow more and postpone doomsday since the unions are too strong, the politicians too weak and the public too unreasonable...

Pataki (D'amato) was at the helm for a long time and before that Cuomo (king of the 1 shot sell off deals) and now the Democrats want his son to be the governor... Shelly Silver runs New York State. (and Joe Bruno is off to jail, or already there??)

The cuts are going to come from someplace and since nearly everything is a protected interest or entitlement.......

Of course we do have over a 100 military bases on foreign soil (if not several times that) at the moment, and I suppose Goldman Sachs is doing well... don't worry, be happy... :D

Tom

Idlewild
2010-03-14, 03:27 AM
NYS has always been a mess economically. For some reason they (along with NYC) love to give huge tax breaks to developers and spend tons of money on useless and not-so-long-lasting projects. I remember when Pres. Ford told us (NYC) to go F ourselves on a bail out. Can anyone blame him?

GolfTango
2010-03-22, 01:01 PM
The Bayswater Park Closing gave NYCAviation an unexpected mention in the Queens Chronicle today.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 4908&rfi=6 (http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=20415637&BRD=2731&PAG=461&dept_id=574908&rfi=6)

HEY! That's me and my nephew in that photo. I gave the Press guy the NYC Aviation website address so he could lookup the airliner following and passion that we all share.

GolfTango
2010-03-24, 02:15 PM
http://stupidcelebrities.net/wp-content/davidpaterson.jpg

Matt Molnar
2010-03-31, 04:59 PM
Well I guess today was the last day. Remains to be seen if they actually lock the place or just stop maintaining it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/que ... cal/queens (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/03/28/2010-03-28_no_fishing_anytime_9b_budget_gap_will_force_sta te_to_shut_far_rockaway_park.html?r=ny_local/queens)

MarkLawrence
2010-03-31, 09:30 PM
I was going to ask - are they going to actually lock it up? or what?

PhilDernerJr
2010-03-31, 09:38 PM
No idea. I'm going to visit tomorrow afternoon after work to have a look.

carlos
2010-04-01, 10:14 AM
Very bad news. Is the park really closed now?

I will arrive in NY for spotting tomorrow from Germany. Is there another opportunity to take pictures when runway 4 is in use?

chrisparypa
2010-04-01, 01:06 PM
PLEASE DO SOMETHING !!!! :((

Don't close the gate.... let us use the Bayswater !!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2746/4402836494_4cdcf99ef0.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2010-04-01, 05:34 PM
I present you all with what I hope is good news that will continue. I took these 90 minutes ago...

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG00229-20100401-1607.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG00230-20100401-1610.jpg

It lives! And there were a lot of people in there today...just no spotters. I hope it is left open as such.

(wear your boots...very muddy!)

NLovis
2010-04-01, 08:13 PM
Very good. I hope to have 400mm within the next month and I plan to make that a top stop. :borat:

Gerard
2010-04-01, 09:34 PM
I present you all with what I hope is good news that will continue. I took these 90 minutes ago...

It lives! And there were a lot of people in there today...just no spotters. I hope it is left open as such.

Wow, from the look of these pictures if this was being "Maintained" then the state was being ripped off. What
a dump. Great for spotting but seriously, it looks like the workers were calling it in.

Delta777LR
2010-04-01, 09:36 PM
YES!!! I guess ill be heading there Sat morning

NLovis
2010-04-01, 09:50 PM

Wow, from the look of these pictures if this was being "Maintained" then the state was being ripped off. What
a dump. Great for spotting but seriously, it looks like the workers were calling it in.
My thoughts exactly

Cary
2010-04-01, 10:25 PM

I was there at 10-11:30 this morning. Does that make me the first spotter at Bayswater after it closed? :)

NIKV69
2010-04-01, 10:43 PM
I love the truck tire.

GolfTango
2010-04-01, 10:52 PM
I was there a few weeks ago (3/6) and none of that trash was there. :?:

http://images.zwire.com/local/Z/Zwire2731/zwire/images/37865_S322.jpg

NLovis
2010-04-02, 12:26 AM
Hmm hope i can get a camera soon. or at least a lense that will work with my old camera.

Matt Molnar
2010-04-02, 01:14 AM
Let's not get too excited. It is possible the April 1st closure date was dependent on the new state budget taking affect. However, as usual, the budget is late, and it's not clear when it will be done. It is still possible the park will close.

NLovis
2010-04-02, 03:41 AM
Let's not get too excited. It is possible the April 1st closure date was dependent on the new state budget taking affect. However, as usual, the budget is late, and it's not clear when it will be done. It is still possible the park will close.
Mood killer. GET EM :twisted:

PhilDernerJr
2010-04-02, 05:52 AM
Much of the garbage is surely from the rough weather we've been having. There was a lot of erosion on the "shore" there....branches and stuff that has washed up.

Anyone interested in being part of a clean-up crew?

chrisparypa
2010-04-02, 10:53 AM
Im always ready to help, whenever Im in NY. Unfortunately Im at work in MD now for a few months, but trying to catch one maybe 2 days at home in NY somewhere around end of April (wanna also catch Mets-Cups game :))

NLovis
2010-04-02, 10:32 PM
Much of the garbage is surely from the rough weather we've been having. There was a lot of erosion on the "shore" there....branches and stuff that has washed up.

Anyone interested in being part of a clean-up crew?
You can cound me in pending date and time.

threeholerglory
2010-04-03, 06:20 PM
as of 4/3 Bayswater is alive and well albeit still very muddy at the entrance.

NLovis
2010-04-04, 03:53 AM
Yea I had every intention of heading out but I lost track of time and I doubt 3 hours of sleep will do anything. Next week i must remember to track the time.

Arinyc
2010-04-04, 08:05 PM
Went Friday 4/2 and got there late for my taste (9.45) as I walked from the Mott Av subway station. Let's just say that the walk is an interesting experience in urban sociology -- one during which you had better keep your expensive glass from view. Good news is the park is indeed open, bad news is that if the pedestrian gate (on the right in Phil's image) is closed, there is no obvious way to get in. I tried wading through tall grass at the eastern end of the park, but you need a machete and tick bites would be a virtual certainty in summer. I had to retreat after getting maybe 15 meters in. Also: do wear waterproof boots as the park is really muddy, as others have noted.

I did a bit of cleaning up using the large and sadly unused trash cans and chatted with two friendly locals -- of the kind wielding fishing rods, not 400 zooms -- who totally shared my feelings towards the motherbleepers who don't pick up their bleeping trash. After an hour or so of collecting empty Red Bulls and White Castle wrappers, the heavies started showing up, out of 22R. Hazy conditions and liberal use of the contrast slider in CS3 produced the following:

http://arinyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bayswater-20100402/20100402BayswPkA6ECW0329/827715391_y93Mq-M.jpg

Planes trains boats trucks, I like this one:
http://arinyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bayswater-20100402/20100402BayswPkA6ECW0331/827715444_twH2S-M.jpg
http://arinyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bayswater-20100402/20100402BayswPkA6ECW0344/827715507_iacQd-M.jpg
One day I'll catch one of these things and the tower when it's not hazy:
http://arinyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bayswater-20100402/20100402BayswPkB24780280/827715542_PRKiB-M.jpg
http://arinyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bayswater-20100402/20100402BayswPkBKPK0197/827715595_QdMZq-M.jpg
http://arinyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bayswater-20100402/20100402BayswPkZSSXC0309/827716664_tTEwe-M.jpg
http://arinyc.smugmug.com/Other/Bayswater-20100402/20100402BayswPkN717TW0176/827716401_h6TLJ-M.jpg

NLovis
2010-04-04, 08:20 PM
Nice shots

Gerard
2010-04-04, 09:14 PM
[quote="Arinyc"]Went Friday 4/2 and got there late for my taste (9.45) as I walked from the Mott Av subway station. Let's just say that the walk is an interesting experience in urban sociology -- one during which you had better keep your expensive glass from view.

Yeah the things you do for spotting. :lol: Years ago I was down there checking out a water SAR on the ocean side
and wondered if my car would still be there when I got back.
Thankfully at 9:45AM most of the "undesirables" are probably still crashed out from the previous evening. :)

NLovis
2010-04-04, 09:25 PM
Glad I dont have to be around that area :mrgreen:

PhilDernerJr
2010-04-04, 09:54 PM
I did a bit of cleaning up using the large and sadly unused trash cans and chatted with two friendly locals -- of the kind wielding fishing rods, not 400 zooms -- who totally shared my feelings towards the motherbleepers who don't pick up their bleeping trash. After an hour or so of collecting empty Red Bulls and White Castle wrappers.....

Wow, seriously, a big thank you!!! It's great that you did that.

NLovis
2010-04-04, 10:03 PM
I did a bit of cleaning up using the large and sadly unused trash cans and chatted with two friendly locals -- of the kind wielding fishing rods, not 400 zooms -- who totally shared my feelings towards the motherbleepers who don't pick up their bleeping trash. After an hour or so of collecting empty Red Bulls and White Castle wrappers.....

Way to go. Maby we need some signs? Some that even idiots can understand?

NLovis
2010-04-04, 10:04 PM

Way to go. Maby some signs are needed? Some that even idiots can understand?

Zee71
2010-04-11, 07:06 PM
I'm happy to say that as of Apr. 11th, Bayswater park was still open. I was there shooting some departures, and folks were fishing. There was a parks police officer that I bumped into, but he was more concerned about the guys fishing that they didn't exceed the amount of catches, etc.

george
2010-04-11, 08:15 PM
Great news that the park is still open!!

I was reading something in newsday this past week that said the federal government was threatening NYS about the park closing plans. Seems the state gets some federal aid for the parks that will be taken away if they do go ahead with the closures.

chrisparypa
2010-04-14, 09:33 PM
Someone please update info about Bayswater.... Is it open ?? close ?? can you spot or no ?? Im planing Tuesday morning and just wanna make sure if 4's are gonna be in use....

Zee71
2010-04-18, 10:35 AM
As of April 16th, it was still open. I spent only about an hour there. No much action due to the volcanic flight disruptions. Guys were still fishing.

FlyingColors
2010-04-28, 02:47 PM
Is it still open???

PhilDernerJr
2010-04-28, 02:58 PM
Yep, still open!

Matt Molnar
2010-04-28, 10:04 PM
Is it still open???
The new state budget has not passed yet and who knows when it will (it's already almost a month late). If it does close, it won't be until that happens.

FlyingColors
2010-04-29, 09:21 AM
Is it still open???
The new state budget has not passed yet and who knows when it will (it's already almost a month late). If it does close, it won't be until that happens.

Nice to hear, thanks!

SengaB
2010-04-29, 11:17 AM
Looks like someone is going to be out shooting this weekend :)
The three of you :)

Zee71
2010-05-09, 02:27 PM
Bayswater is still open. I was there for a short time on Friday, May 7th before they switched from 4R to 22L.

Matt Molnar
2010-05-09, 03:03 PM
Another article about the parks closing in today's Daily News. Apparently the parks may still be saved, but the uncertainty regarding the budget means officials can't hire lifeguards and other personnel for the busy summer season.

Best part: the writer references Bayswater as "a favorite spot for planespotters near JFK Airport." :-)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... mmer_.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/09/2010-05-09_states_budget_woes_may_close_55_parks_for_a_lon g_dry_summer_.html)

FlyingColors
2010-05-09, 03:23 PM
Another article about the parks closing in today's Daily News. Apparently the parks may still be saved, but the uncertainty regarding the budget means officials can't hire lifeguards and other personnel for the busy summer season.

Best part: the writer references Bayswater as "a favorite spot for planespotters near JFK Airport." :-)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/201 ... mmer_.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/09/2010-05-09_states_budget_woes_may_close_55_parks_for_a_lon g_dry_summer_.html)

Thats amazing. But may also be the last nail in the coffin.

moose135
2010-05-09, 06:44 PM
He must have been talking to Al Roker :shock:

SengaB
2010-05-09, 07:44 PM
Or maybe from the park service :)

Senga

NIKV69
2010-05-09, 09:15 PM
Actually I think the outcry from the fisherman would be worse if they locked those gates.

Zee71
2010-05-13, 01:49 PM
May 13th at 12:35 pm .....it's official..........the Bayswater park is CLOSED!!!! While spotting there today with another photographer, and plenty of gentlemen fishing, the parks guys came over and informed us we had to vacate the park. The "Closed" sign was getting ready to be posted on the gate as we were leaving. What a sad day for spotters and fishermen.

Matt Molnar
2010-05-13, 01:54 PM
May 13th at 12:35 pm .....it's official..........the Bayswater park is CLOSED!!!! While spotting there today with another photographer, and plenty of gentlemen fishing, the parks guys came over and informed us we had to vacate the park. The "Closed" sign was getting ready to be posted on the gate as we were leaving. What a sad day for spotters and fishermen.
Damn. Thanks for the update.

AAGold
2010-05-13, 02:19 PM
Well guys, time to get the boat out of dry dock. :)

hiss srq
2010-05-13, 02:58 PM
Or a climbing belt. If memory serves me correct there are a few poles that boarder the property line with which a good climbing belt would do well... If they have the pu&&y pedals on them all the better. Nothing a little up one side of a pole and down the other cannot cure. :twisted:

chrisparypa
2010-05-13, 04:33 PM
ohh no.... this is not a good news...

Matt Molnar
2010-05-13, 04:49 PM
Nothing a little up one side of a pole and down the other cannot cure. :twisted:
That's what she said.

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-13, 10:29 PM
Find out how you can help open the park back up...

:arrow: JFK’s Bayswater Park Padlocked Due to Budget Cuts (http://nycaviation.com/2010/05/13/jfks-bayswater-park-padlocked-due-to-budget-cuts/)

Send letters, emails and call the State Senator's office!

Gerard
2010-05-13, 10:35 PM
Or a climbing belt. If memory serves me correct there are a few poles that boarder the property line with which a good climbing belt would do well... If they have the pu&&y pedals on them all the better. Nothing a little up one side of a pole and down the other cannot cure. :twisted:

What are the visiting hours on Rikers? :)

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-13, 11:55 PM
Everyone, post your best shots from Bayswater! Let's see those great skyline photos!

NLovis
2010-05-14, 12:06 AM
Rats! I got no shots from there :( Well there goes spot from bayswater from my list of to do.

NIKV69
2010-05-14, 02:23 AM

Unless you are going to send him a fat check what can he do? I know this sucks but NY is on the verge of becoming like California (trust me you don't want this) and this is a budget issue. I am sure our state represenative wants the same as we do but until Cuomo gets in there and begins to fix this mess we may have to do without bayswater for a few months.

Tom_Turner
2010-05-14, 03:11 AM
All the govt has to do is simply leave the gate open. What is this stuff about acquiring "public" land, building a fence around it and then locking it up? Transfer the land to the City, post "park closes at dusk" signs and from time to time, NYPD can arrest people in there at the wrong times, fine people etc. Thats how it works elsewhere in city parks.

Tom

Delta777LR
2010-05-14, 04:52 AM
I guess ill start with some of my memory shots....

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_0719.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_0728.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_0769.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_0799.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_5247.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_8336.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_8344.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_8385.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_8396.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_8417.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_8447.jpg
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/IMG_8466.jpg

NLovis
2010-05-14, 05:22 AM

Unless you are going to send him a fat check what can he do? I know this sucks but NY is on the verge of becoming like California (trust me you don't want this) and this is a budget issue. I am sure our state represenative wants the same as we do but until Cuomo gets in there and begins to fix this mess we may have to do without bayswater for a few months.
Few months is taking it lightly if you ask me. They keep saying they cant balance the defecit untill after 2012. Taking that into consideration it will probably be a few YEARS and by that time it will probably to too overun to reopen. You guys have said its one of the smaller parks so take that into consideration as well. They will open up the parks that are used more frequently. Not to mention the ones that will create more jobs since you can be sure they will be hearing it about layoffs and whatnot. I hope i'm wrong but that is what it seems like.

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-14, 06:10 AM
Writing to the Senator and to your own, will help them urge that the Parks are in the budget. Most local politicians WILL listen to you. I've accomplished other things before by contacting them on various issues in the past.

I really urge peopel to send letters, emails or call.

Mayi757
2010-05-14, 11:37 AM
Too bad for me that configuration wasn't in use when I visited NY.

That's the best angle of B-KPF I've ever seen. I rarely care to look twice at the boring, mostly white flying tube that is the South African A346 but that has to be the most beautiful shot I've seen of this plane/livery combination, wow! Bayswater gave images some extra magic with the water and skyline.

eric8669
2010-05-14, 12:22 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n298jd_Cargo360_747_jfk_072207a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/jfk_4l_072207a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/n6700_Song_757_jfk_072207a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/29000_AirForceOne_jfk_092409a.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/Edits_jfk_0925097.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/Edits_jfk_09250911.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/20100121-IMG_1958.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/20100121-IMG_1799.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/081509_JFK_bayswater6.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/20050703-n505jb_jetblue_a320_jfk4l.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/20060504-ja731a_ANA_777_jfk_050406_.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/20061008-g-vfit_VirginAtlantic_a340.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/20070321-f_wwjb_Airbus_a380_032107_.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/southpaw8669/20070321-f_wwjb_Airbus_a380_0321-1.jpg

NIKV69
2010-05-14, 12:26 PM
All the govt has to do is simply leave the gate open. What is this stuff about acquiring "public" land, building a fence around it and then locking it up? Transfer the land to the City, post "park closes at dusk" signs and from time to time, NYPD can arrest people in there at the wrong times, fine people etc. Thats how it works elsewhere in city parks.

I think it would just lead to total chaos, the grass will get out of hand, nobody will clean up and it would quickly look like a landfill. You would probably get at ton of drug activity and squatters. Without daily upkeep and supervision that place would get out of control fast if people were allowed to come and go as they please.

Few months is taking it lightly if you ask me. They keep saying they cant balance the defecit untill after 2012. Taking that into consideration it will probably be a few YEARS and by that time it will probably to too overun to reopen. You guys have said its one of the smaller parks so take that into consideration as well. They will open up the parks that are used more frequently. Not to mention the ones that will create more jobs since you can be sure they will be hearing it about layoffs and whatnot. I hope i'm wrong but that is what it seems like.

Balancing the budget doesn't mean things can't be brought back online piecemeal once things begin to improve. Whoever is in charge of the park system will probably have to make choices since I bet spotters are not going to be the only people peppering lawmakers with emails voicing displeasure. Also again please keep in mind the situation NY is in at the present moment. It's dire, and if not handled properly can go real real bad and you have a complete idiot trying to solve them. Let the new governor get in there and hopefully the gate will be unlocked by the new year or spring.

Writing to the Senator and to your own, will help them urge that the Parks are in the budget. Most local politicians WILL listen to you. I've accomplished other things before by contacting them on various issues in the past.

I really urge peopel to send letters, emails or call.

Long term this tactic will probably have better effects than short term. By constantly reminding them how important these parks to all will go further once new leadership takes control.

Matt Molnar
2010-05-14, 03:27 PM
Something to ponder...

There's an Associated Press article out today that says the State has announced they will close the doomed parks this coming Monday, but there's no mention of Bayswater. Apparently Bayswater was actually closed early.

Sen. Smith is the president of the senate and Bayswater is the only state park in his district. It's possible that the parks commissioner closed Bayswater early to put some pressure on Smith to get his party and other senators in line to fix this.

I remain optimistic, but contact Smith and your own state senators as well.

FlyingColors
2010-05-14, 04:23 PM

Tom

I agree.

SengaB
2010-05-14, 05:10 PM
A few of my shots from the park.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3320/4607483782_be2b83da90_o.jpg

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/7/6/7/73662_1091959767.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1056/4607486110_c84c5af876_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4607516638_212ab96384_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4033/4606904617_d7bd619019_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1109/4606904537_38afab19c6_o.jpg

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/6/7/8/43044_1051492876.jpg

wunaladreamin
2010-05-14, 06:52 PM
And a few of my favorites

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/9/8/0/93742_1258758089.jpg
http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/7/6/3/95668_1258758367.jpg
http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/2/1/7/2/79440_1258758271.jpg
http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/3/5/7/71821_1220294753.jpg
http://images2.jetphotos.net/img/1/2/0/8/73875_1219800802.jpg
http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/8/0/5/43281_1219181508.jpg

I will very much so miss the morning 22 departures in the summer.

Tom_Turner
2010-05-14, 07:18 PM
Bayswater fest from from a few years ago...

0373291 0844399 0240999

0314987 0540549 0585570

0341760 0267119 0345089

0347899 0579828 0854575

0253121 0936876 0343805

0265850 0348955 0266183

FaisalNahian
2010-05-16, 07:52 PM
a great collection that you can't forget.

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-16, 08:56 PM
Gothamist did an article about Bayswater, giving NYCA some nice mention... http://gothamist.com/2010/05/16/baywate ... _close.php (http://gothamist.com/2010/05/16/baywater_state_park_slated_to_close.php)

MarkLawrence
2010-05-16, 11:51 PM
Some of my memories from Bayswater

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/2/9/2/89420_1226149292_tb.jpg (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6408869)

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/8/6/3/25925_1226233368_tb.jpg (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6409826)

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/0/6/5/81276_1226233560_tb.jpg (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6409832)

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/9/9/8/24445_1226233899_tb.jpg (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6409838)

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/1/9/2/95500_1226406291_tb.jpg (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6411931)

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/2/0/6/46548_1226406602_tb.jpg (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6411937)

heeshung
2010-05-16, 11:52 PM
Panorama of Bayswater View (http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4679/panoramae2.jpg)

My first time at Bayswater was to shoot Wunala in August of 2008.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/UnitedVirtualResources/2f7efad5.jpg

Looking back at some of my favorites from the spot...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4293858789_6c9d59519f_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2703/4293859445_232026f208_o.jpg

http://horriblephotography.com/albums/Misc/45197_1272169955.jpg

PhilDernerJr
2010-05-16, 11:58 PM
That panorama is AMAZING!

Tom_Turner
2010-05-17, 06:24 PM
It ain't over yet....

<<The Legislature has voted to restore $11.3 million in parks funding cut from Gov. Paterson's budget proposal. But lawmakers and Paterson have yet to agree on a budget, which is now 47 days late.>>

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-be ... 16464.html (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/State-Closing-55-Parks-Historic-Sites-Today-93916464.html)

Gerard
2010-05-17, 09:00 PM
http://horriblephotography.com/albums/Misc/45197_1272169955.jpg[/quote]

LOL I love this shot. Like two Rams about to lock horns.
"Yo you better move, I'm bigger than you".

Zee71
2010-05-24, 11:44 AM
Looks like there is a bill on the table to "reopen" the parks.

"New York Gov. David Paterson introduced legislation Monday to reopen all state parks and fully fund them for the remainder of the state’s fiscal year." We could only hope that Bayswater is reopened!!!

Anyone else catch wind of this today? I heard about this on the news on Sunday night (May 23rd).

Matt Molnar
2010-05-24, 11:46 AM

"New York Gov. David Paterson introduced legislation Monday to reopen all state parks and fully fund them for the remainder of the state’s fiscal year." We could only hope that Bayswater is reopened!!!

Anyone else catch wind of this?
Just read this. Sounds promising...Bayswater could be open by this weekend it would seem.

http://wcbstv.com/local/new.york.parks.2.1711000.html

NLovis
2010-05-24, 04:19 PM

Anyone else catch wind of this?
Just read this. Sounds promising...Bayswater could be open by this weekend it would seem.

http://wcbstv.com/local/new.york.parks.2.1711000.html
NICE! no rats needed here :borat:

adscram14
2010-05-24, 05:32 PM
Before you guys kill me for never having been there (Hey, I only got my camera last June and my dad and I didn't know about Bayswater, so we drove all around until we got a good spot at the Ramada) I really hope this park stays open. Down here in Charlotte, we also have an overlook maintained my Charmeck, which is still open. Hopefully I can get to Bayswater if it opens when I come up to NY this June/very early July to spot.

threeholerglory
2010-05-25, 06:15 PM
Regarding the panorama, I'm very disappointed. I expect a 600mm (go rent one!) gigapan out of you next time :P

I too would love to see Bayswater open again. I can't say that I have any particularly special memory there, but shooting 747's head on in the morning as they turn onto 4L is absolutely unforgettable.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/4556726008_22fd91d04a_o.jpg

NLovis
2010-05-25, 10:13 PM
Yea I got nothing from bayswater either. I'm hoping to make some memories though if it reopens :borat: and once I get a new camera.

Matt Molnar
2010-05-27, 12:12 PM
UPDATE:

If the legislature passes a bill today transferring $74 million from the Environmental Protection Fund to the parks, they will reopen this weekend!

Matt Molnar
2010-05-28, 10:24 AM
AND THEY'RE BACK!

Bayswater and all the other closed parks will be open this weekend and the rest of the summer!

threeholerglory
2010-05-28, 06:17 PM
AWESOME news!!!!! I almost feel like I had a gun pointed at my head from 6 inches away, and woke up the following day after the ordeal knowing I was fine and life was good. Maybe one day I'll post that story in the spotter blotter though it had nothing to do with photography. Anyway, it's great to have Bayswater back!

chrisparypa
2010-05-29, 11:31 AM
Think Im gonna cry :))

FlyingColors
2010-05-29, 12:51 PM
Amazing good news! :borat:

NLovis
2010-05-29, 11:50 PM
Alright! Cant wait to head there once I buy my new camera. Hope to meet you guys there.

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-10, 08:26 PM
Has anyone been there yet to confirm that it is open? I know the weather hasn't been very conducive for spotting lately.

Delta777LR
2010-06-10, 08:53 PM
Has anyone been there yet to confirm that it is open? I know the weather hasn't been very conducive for spotting lately.

ill probably find out Sat when i go spotting

Zee71
2010-06-11, 01:57 AM
Confirmed! It's open............I was there last Sunday, June 6th and caught some sunset photo's (see below):

http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Spotting/JFK-06June2010/BritishAirways01JFK06June2010/897166295_tKHY8-XL.jpg

http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Spotting/JFK-06June2010/Evergreen01JFK06June2010/897164458_AHPVa-XL.jpg

http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Spotting/JFK-06June2010/ELALCargo01JFK06June2010/897163840_rqWdD-XL.jpg

http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Spotting/JFK-06June2010/ChinaEastern02JFK06June2010/897168103_CtQMJ-XL.jpg

adscram14
2010-06-11, 01:55 PM
Mark, the second one is amazing! What lens are you using?!

Derf
2010-06-11, 03:45 PM
Confirmed! It's open............I was there last Sunday, June 6th and caught some sunset photo's (see below):

http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Spotting/JFK-06June2010/BritishAirways01JFK06June2010/897166295_tKHY8-XL.jpg

Breathtaking!!!! #2 was awesome too! :borat:

chrisparypa
2010-06-11, 09:01 PM
good job man ! this is something new for bayswatwer :)

Tom_Turner
2010-06-13, 01:08 PM
If the State shuts down due to financial dereliction in the near future, Bayswater will be closed again. The State will of course "open" again shortly thereafter in some form, if it does shut down in the first place, but Bayswater is not guaranteed.

Zee71
2010-06-17, 10:07 PM
Here's a different view of Bayswater Park......while returning from my trip to Boston today (June 17th) on Jet Blue, we were landing on 4R and I was able to fire off a few shots.

http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Odd-Stuff/Bayswater01/904941473_mVpgz-M.jpg

http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Odd-Stuff/Bayswater02/904942596_eoZrM-M.jpg

Looking back at Bayswater Park (lower right)
http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com/Aviation/Odd-Stuff/Bayswater03/904940248_2vWWb-M.jpg

AirtrafficController
2010-06-18, 09:49 AM
I just returned from a morning outing at Bayswater. The park now opens at 7AM and closes at 7PM according to a neighbor who lives right next to the entrance of the park.

PhilDernerJr
2010-06-18, 05:18 PM
Those times are pretty lame during the summer time.

Zee71
2010-07-11, 07:31 PM
I briefly stopped by Bayswater Park late this morning (7/11) and noticed a sign posted that states the park now opens at 9am and closes at 7pm. Another summer bummer!!!

lijk604
2010-07-12, 09:12 AM
That sign was there last weekend, however it was only 815am, and I was not the first one in. :wink: