PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel: 'Deadliest Catch' captain dies

Midnight Mike
2010-02-10, 09:28 AM
TV network: 'Deadliest Catch' captain dies
A spokesman for the Discovery Channel says Seattle-based Capt. Phil Harris of the fishing vessel Cornelia Marie has died.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/415241_harrisobit10.html

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A spokesman for The Discovery Channel says the captain of the "Deadliest Catch" fishing vessel Cornelia Marie has died.

Capt. Phil Harris suffered what his family described as a massive stroke on Jan. 29 while the boat was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. The 53-year-old fisherman was flown to Anchorage for surgery.

A Discovery spokesman says the Harris family contacted the network Tuesday evening with word of his death.

Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman issued a statement on behalf of sons Jake and Josh Harris. It says in part, "It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end."

In the network's own statement, Hillman says, "We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart."

In an e-mail she said no additional information was immediately available.

The Discovery Channel reality show depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska. Harris' fishing vessel was based in Seattle.

gettysburgerrn
2010-02-10, 04:27 PM
How sad I really enjoy that show and his sense of humor was one of the things that I really enjoyed...Prayers and condolences to his family...

ken

lijk604
2010-02-10, 05:22 PM
After the scare he had a year or two ago, this news is not surprising, it is very unfortunate though. I remember when they covered his first issue (blood clot passed through his heart), he would sneak outside the hospital to go out and continue smoking.

I really liked the way his crew always seemed to pull together no matter what the situation, even with his 'abrasive' attitude at times.

Those captains really put a ton of stress on themselves and you know that didn't help his situation at all. But he was a part-owner of that boat, and it was probably just as bad for him sitting on the sidelines. At least he was in control of his destiny.

RIP Captain Harris

T-Bird76
2010-02-10, 06:33 PM
I really liked Capt Phil, he just seemed like a nice guy and a real hard worker. His sons were very close to him, they must be totally deverstated. John's right though his lifestyle and health were not good, he was a prime canidate for a stroke. Very sad to hear, I'll miss him on the show.

R.I.P Capt Phil and God Speed on your final voyage.

MarkLawrence
2010-02-10, 07:02 PM
I echo Tom's comments - lifestyle wasn't the healtiest - but - who's can be on those ships! At only 53, he had so many more years left - crabs everywhere are loosening the "poop bubbles" in respect!

RIP Captain Phil - the big dry dock in the sky is a warmer place than the Bering Sea!

wunaladreamin
2010-02-11, 05:01 PM
I echo Tom's comments - lifestyle wasn't the healtiest - but - who's can be on those ships! At only 53, he had so many more years left - crabs everywhere are loosening the "poop bubbles" in respect!

RIP Captain Phil - the big dry dock in the sky is a warmer place than the Bering Sea!
+1

Rest easy Cap. May you always sail in still waters.

Gerard
2010-02-21, 10:03 AM
[quote="T-Bird76"]I really liked Capt Phil, he just seemed like a nice guy and a real hard worker. His sons were very close to him, they must be totally deverstated.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/ ... rrest.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/02/21/2010-02-21_jake_harris_son_of_deadliest_catch_star_phil_ha rris_jailed_after_dui_arrest.html)

T-Bird76
2010-02-21, 01:08 PM
I really liked Capt Phil, he just seemed like a nice guy and a real hard worker. His sons were very close to him, they must be totally deverstated.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/ ... rrest.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/02/21/2010-02-21_jake_harris_son_of_deadliest_catch_star_phil_ha rris_jailed_after_dui_arrest.html)

wow that's really to bad. In the show he always worried about Jake, def a lose canon. Hopefully he can get his act together.

gettysburgerrn
2010-02-21, 02:27 PM
The discovery channel had a "tribute" to him yesterday. Unfortunately it was just a marathon of last seasons shows. Maybe when they are ready for the new season it can be a little more personalized as a "tribute"

Ken

Big Tim #70
2010-02-21, 04:00 PM
I read an article that said that they were filming when he collapsed and that he wanted to speak/communicate on cam during his final days. He had a producer with him at the hospital and was speaking with him quite a bit over the last few days.

Seeing as it happened during Opelio season, that means they had the entire King Crab season already completed. I would think that the first part of Deadliest Catch would be pretty much business as usual and you'll see the tributes start when they start the Opelio season.

gettysburgerrn
2010-02-21, 05:04 PM
Him talking on camera over his last few days...that could get kind of rough....

ken

Matt Molnar
2010-02-22, 01:24 PM
Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs wrote a nice post about Capt. Phil on his blog. Good read...

http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2010/02/captain-phil/

The only one who appeared completely at ease was Phil. He arrived at the last minute, and did so in style – cruising into the parking lot aboard a brand new motorcycle. He walked into the bar with a big smile, said hello to the gang, and then glanced at me with an amused expression. We then had the following exchange.

Me: Hey Phil, how’s it going?
Phil: Mike, I got nothing to say to you until you ride my bike.
Me: Beg your pardon?
Phil: I said that you and I have nothing to talk about until you ride my bike. Got it?

With that, Phil walked me out to his bike, tossed me his keys, crossed his arms, and waited for me to ride off. And so I did. Really, I didn’t have much of a choice.

That was Phil Harris. He had a unique kind of generosity – the kind that sprung from a genuine enthusiasm for whatever it was he chose to focus on. It could be anything. Sometimes he focused on catching crab. Sometimes he focused on his boys, Josh and Jake. In that particular moment, he was focused on the joy of riding his new motorcycle, and he wanted to share that joy with me. He insisted upon it. That’s an unusual quality I think, and a very good one.

Big Tim #70
2010-02-22, 08:46 PM
What an amazing write up by Mike Rowe.