PDA

View Full Version : Delta Airlines B772 at Tokyo on Feb 7th 2010, stowaway found

AirtrafficController
2010-02-07, 01:13 PM
A Delta Airlines Boeing 777-200, registration N867DA performing flight DL-59 (dep Feb 6th) from New York JFK,NY (USA) to Tokyo Narita (Japan) with officially 193 people on board, had seemingly performed an uneventful flight and landed safely.

In a post flight inspection a mechanics found a dead black male stowaway in the left main gear bay.

Japanese Police have opened an investigation and currently assume, that the person got into the gear bay in New York and froze to death and/or died from hypoxia. No injuries have been found.

http://avherald.com/h?article=426f3adb&opt=0

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-07, 01:42 PM
I'm eager to learn more about this. Someone wanted to leave NY and go to Japan that badly?

hiss srq
2010-02-07, 01:42 PM
Wow, usually everyone is trying to get over here. Someone must have been desperate.

flyguy1
2010-02-07, 02:01 PM
Ive been following this story on airlines.net-very strange to say the least. It doesnt seem likely that someone would try to sneak into Japan, when they are already in the United State. This person may have been stuck in the planes cargo hold, (or wherever the body was found) for a few days. Could this plane have possible been in a country in the last few days, and picked up a stowaway at that point?

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-07, 03:00 PM
Wow, usually everyone is trying to get over here. Someone must have been desperate.

No, someone left HERE to go THERE.

hiss srq
2010-02-07, 03:02 PM
I know, like I said, desperate. America is no good shake right now to live in.

SmAlbany
2010-02-08, 01:07 PM
Ive been following this story on airlines.net-very strange to say the least. It doesnt seem likely that someone would try to sneak into Japan, when they are already in the United State. This person may have been stuck in the planes cargo hold, (or wherever the body was found) for a few days. Could this plane have possible been in a country in the last few days, and picked up a stowaway at that point?

That same thought occured to me when I saw the story. I wonder if it is possible that the stowaway got in the wheel well on the leg prior to the leg to JFK and was not discovered in NY.

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-08, 04:10 PM
If that body was in there from a previous stop, then MX at JFK has a LOT of explaining to do.

flyguy1
2010-02-08, 11:07 PM
Just saw on the news, the body may have been there for over a month ! how does this happen?

mirrodie
2010-02-08, 11:26 PM
. I wonder if it is possible that the stowaway got in the wheel well on the leg prior to the leg to JFK and was not discovered in NY.

That is my thought. Stowaway was in a long sleeve T and jeans. Not exactly what a NYer is wearing in this wx.

The identification process should be interesting.

Matt Molnar
2010-02-09, 12:37 AM
I smell an episode of Law & Order in the works.