PDA

View Full Version : Air Jamaica and CAL purchase?

hiss srq
2010-02-03, 03:40 PM
So having a intrest in the economies of Jamaica and the well being of Air Jamaica considering my extensive use of them over the years I have met and befriended many crew members from AJM ranging from pilots and F/A's to a former instructor from their MX program. Obviously I knew of Indigo group (Spirit) attempting to buy AJM and more recently Carribean putting offers up to the Jamaican Gov. Apparently their offer is 1USD for the company and they will pay off the 900 Million in debt AJM has accured. Can anyone verify this for me? I found it very intresting and I am waiting for a reply from some of my other friends who are currently employed with AJM to check the validity of this.

Matt Molnar
2010-02-03, 05:57 PM
Hadn't heard of this but looking it up now it seems to be almost a done deal.

Apparently AJ's pilots union had also placed a bid, and they question the legitimacy of the CAL deal.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/ ... lead5.html (http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20100203/lead/lead5.html)

They'll be dumping 3 planes (down to 6) and dropping their JFK-Grenada service, among others.

hiss srq
2010-02-03, 06:45 PM
Wow, I am hoping that AJM stays a Jamaican company. It would be a shame to see a great carrier with a great history just dissapear as far as ownership and brand identity goes. They have the most colorful birds in the sky not to mention that they provide EXCELLENT inflight service.

Mayi757
2010-02-04, 05:36 PM
Months ago I was reading on an a.net thread that if Spirit took it over they would change the name to Spirit of Jamaica or something like that, and so it would lose the Jamaican identity. Spirit is a crappy airline but it doesn't seem like Caribbean Airlines is a whole lot better.

They have cut Miami, Atlanta and now will cut Orlando and Havana. But they still fly to Toronto and Chicago... I would have thought the first 4 are more solid year-round routes.