PDA

View Full Version : Apple Unveils iPad

Matt Molnar
2010-01-27, 02:25 PM
Following the Steve Jobs event. It's just a big iPod Touch. I'm not impressed so far.

Live blog: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live ... refresh=30 (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live-from-the-apple-tablet-latest-creation-event/?sort=newest&refresh=30)

Matt Molnar
2010-01-27, 04:07 PM
http://c0581892.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/apple-tablet-keynote_180.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/6f41td.gif

cancidas
2010-01-27, 04:31 PM
from what i know of Mac, those prices are pretty damn good. personally i wish i didn't give away my toshiba tablet, it's great being able to link XM WX into it and have a moving map display with wx overlays on a 15" screen on your lap.

i'm still sticking with lenovo, want the X200 tablet so bad!

Matt Molnar
2010-01-27, 04:44 PM
from what i know of Mac, those prices are pretty damn good.
If it were a miniaturized Macbook, those prices would be impressive. What it is, however is a supersized iPod Touch with some Kindle book reading features thrown in. Typing on a flat surface seems like it will be super awkward, so you'll need to drag a keyboard accessory around with you. Also: No camera. No multitasking. No phone calls.

What really gets me is the $130 premium for 3G....the transceiver probably costs them about $10.

The 3G data pricing is quite reasonable, but again it's through AT&T, which can barely handle the traffic it currently gets from iPhone.

cancidas
2010-01-27, 05:15 PM
No camera. No multitasking. No phone calls.

What really gets me is the $130 premium for 3G....the transceiver probably costs them about $10.

3G data and no embedded phone is downright retarded. no multitasking only makes it more so!

bonanzabucks
2010-01-27, 08:14 PM
Also: No camera. No multitasking. No phone calls.

Yeah, that about did it for me. HUGE letdown. This device had so much potential. You also forgot no Flash, which is really the norm for today's web-browsing. Maybe this will change with the supposed new iPhoneOS coming out.

Other features they should have included: memory stick slot, HDMI slot, microphone. These are pretty basic and well within the parameters of the device.

Disappointed.

hiss srq
2010-01-27, 09:49 PM
No, the iPad has been around for a few years actually.

FTzhXMbOWHE :lol:

T-Bird76
2010-01-27, 11:20 PM
I'm not impressed at all....this is nothing more than an oversized and very expensive iPhone/iTouch. For those prices you can get a far more useful and more powerful PC. This announcement would have been more exciting if Jobbs said the iPhone would be available on Verizon.

eric8669
2010-01-27, 11:28 PM
I'm not impressed at all....this is nothing more than an oversized and very expensive iPhone/iTouch. For those prices you can get a far more useful and more powerful PC. This announcement would have been more exciting if Jobbs said the iPhone would be available on Verizon.

This device is not out there to compete with PC's, Laptops, netbooks, etc... Its something new. I can definitely find a use for it if I do get one. The price is very reasonable.

Mayi757
2010-01-28, 04:09 AM
LOL @ the Seinfeld gif

T-Bird76
2010-01-28, 10:53 AM

This device is not out there to compete with PC's, Laptops, netbooks, etc... Its something new. I can definitely find a use for it if I do get one. The price is very reasonable.

Eric comon...do you really drink the Apple Kool Aid that much to say its not out to compete with other computers? That's totally not true. Let me outline a number of things that make this thing totally useless and a complete waste of money. Anyone who spends a dime on this might as well burn your money...at least then you'll create some heat from the money you just burned...

1. Once again like the iPhone...no Multitasking..have fun running one ap at a time.

2. No USB port.. Another anticonsumer move by Apple so you have to buy an adapter.

3. Battery...how do you change the battery? Hmmm that's right you have to bring it into Apple and pay out the nose.

4. No HDMI...

5. No Flash support. That alone makes this product useless.

6. It doesn't support widescreen video.

7. You can only use Aps from the Mac App store.

Its a big expensive iPhone....

PhilDernerJr
2010-01-28, 12:55 PM
As pro-PC as I tend to be, I also give a lot of credit to Apple innovation. This product, however, seems to be completely pointless, and will almost only be bought by peopel who have been fooled by their marketing, convinced that it's cool to have or can be more practical than it actually can be.

lijk604
2010-01-28, 04:18 PM
Over the last year I have become an Apple user, iPod/iPhone & MacBook Pro. The iPad is an interesting concept, but it has not garnered enough of my interest, yet, to make me want to go buy one, although I rarely buy the newest anything. I usually let the products hit the market (camera, computers, tv, etc), see what reaction is to them, and let them work out the bugs. After all that, if I'm still interested I'll go ahead and buy.

I agree with Tommy that they seem to have left out a few necessary things, USB, HDMI & Flash. Although I read that the next iPhone update will have Flash capability, so if that holds true that revision will probably make it to the iPad.

Currently I have no need for the "as advertised" unit, maybe when version 2.0 comes around it would be more attractive.

Derf
2010-01-28, 04:22 PM
I have flash on my iPhone....DOH!!!! :lol: :borat:

I love my Jailbroken phone

USAF Pilot 07
2010-01-28, 04:51 PM
It's all Apple marketing...

They are unveiling this thing which they know is lacking many desirable features in the hope that because it's so new and somewhat cutting edge, they will score big with the young crowd and those who try to stay ahead of the trend.

In about another year, I think we will see version2 of the iPad released which will include a lot of the aforementioned features, which not only will be desired by the young and "stay ahead of the trend" crowd, but now amongst more professional people and those who are more demanding.

It was the same with the iPhone, the iTouch, the iPod etc...

Not only does it keep Apple in the news, it makes it look like they are releasing a new product every year or two, which in turn increases their profitability and also keeps their stock futures positive and shareholders happy.

Matt Molnar
2010-01-28, 05:04 PM
Fujitsu has had a product called iPAD for 8 years! Cue the lawsuits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/techn ... 9name.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/technology/companies/29name.html)

JHNA57
2010-01-30, 10:37 AM
I think this says it all...
lQnT0zp8Ya4

cancidas
2010-01-30, 03:23 PM
I think this says it all...
lQnT0zp8Ya4
that video was funnier when it was about Magpul IMO.