PDA

View Full Version : NASA Space Shuttle Auctions

Speedbird1
2010-01-25, 03:09 PM
This is sad news for the aviation museums expecting to get an actual space shuttle to display, I heard that instead of donating the old shuttles to museums, NASA plans to auction them-off to the highest bidder. Things must be really tight if they need money so badly. Hopefully, museums could enter the auctions. No date was given for those auctions but would have to be after they are retired. I know that the Intrepid Museum wanted to acquire a space shuttle.

moose135
2010-01-25, 07:44 PM
They always planned to "sell" them to a museum - what they recently did was drop the price from $42 million to $28 million each. They aren't simply going to the "highest bidder" - that amount is NASA's estimate on what it will cost to transport the shuttle and prepare and maintain a suitable display for it. NASA has specific conditions that must be met in order to qualify for the right to obtain one. Discovery has already been promised to the National Air & Space Museum, and Enterprise will be available for another museum. In addition, I've heard that the USAF Museum at Wright-Patt is expected to get one as well.

Given the amount the Intrepid spent on their recent renovations, I doubt they would have the money available to build and maintain a display facility for a shuttle - it must be an indoors, climate-controlled facility - and I don't know if they would even have the room for it.

T-Bird76
2010-01-25, 10:37 PM
deal-news-offering-32-off-the-space-shuttles-t18142.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=deal+news (http://nycaviation.com/forum/deal-news-offering-32-off-the-space-shuttles-t18142.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=deal+news)

Use the search function....

hiss srq
2010-01-25, 11:32 PM
Maybe NASA should use the funds to protect their IT infastructure a little better. :lol:

Speedbird1
2010-01-26, 08:41 AM
I did use the search function and it said 0 matches for space shuttle auction. Sorry if I postings offend you.

Speedbird1
2010-01-26, 08:46 AM
You are right. The Intrepid Museum would have no room for a space shuttle. The Concorde takes-up lots of space on the pier and there is no interior space for the shuttle. They did start a petition, which I signed, asking to get a shuttle for display. They probably thought the craft would be donated as they already are in big debt due to the recent restorations. Incidentally, doesn't the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum already have The Enterprise shuttle on display? Why do they need another?

Derf
2010-01-26, 10:41 AM
AS Moose already said, the Enterprise will be made available for a DIFFERENT Museum. They will not keep 2.

Speedbird1
2010-01-26, 12:47 PM
Sadly, then NYC will not get a shuttle to exhibit. The Intrepid Museum was circulating a petition to get a shuttle but that was for naught. Too bad we can't charter a bus one day and visit the Air & Space Museum. I've been to the one on the Mall but not to the bigger annex next to IAD.

Derf
2010-01-26, 12:56 PM
there is always a train to DC, no?

PhilDernerJr
2010-01-26, 05:13 PM
Given the amount the Intrepid spent on their recent renovations, I doubt they would have the money available to build and maintain a display facility for a shuttle - it must be an indoors, climate-controlled facility - and I don't know if they would even have the room for it.

Don't speak too soon... ;)

T-Bird76
2010-01-26, 06:54 PM
there is always a train to DC, no?

Fred I'm sure you'd be more then willing to give Speedbird a ride down there ;)

Oh there's also a bus to DC. I forgot what they're called but its rather cheap to get down there.

Speedbird1
2010-01-27, 10:28 AM
There's even a air shuttle flight down to DC but let's face t, it is a hassle to stay overnight, hotel costs, taxi costs, etc. A MetroCard ride to the Intrepid would be more convenient, yes? Incidentally, there's a shuttle on exhibit at the Kennedy Space Center, too. I've seen it personally. The Intrepid Museum sent me a message yesterday saying they are still going-after a shuttle for exhibit.

PhilDernerJr
2010-01-27, 12:08 PM
The shuttle at the Intrepid would be amazing. Concorde, Blackbird, Shuttle.

Derf
2010-01-27, 12:39 PM
The shuttle at the Intrepid would be amazing. Concorde, Blackbird, Shuttle.

What the Hell Phil..... YOU LEFT OUT THE TOMCAT!!!! If we are talking amazing birds...do not disrespect! lol

PhilDernerJr
2010-01-27, 02:28 PM
One of my favorite fighters, but not in the same league as the three I mentioned...each of which incredibly ground-breaking. My opinion at least.

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-12, 06:41 PM
Hey all,

I've been speaking with the folks over at the Intrepid, and there is still a great chance that they can get a shuttle! to help, please sign this petition and pass it along to your friends! :arrow: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/shuttle/ (http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/shuttle/)

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/ShuttlePetition.jpg (http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/shuttle/)

Also, if you have questions, let me know and I will answer from what I've learned, or try to get answers from them for you.

Matt suggested that if they are awarded it, that they get Sully to land it on the deck for delivery. :)

NLovis
2010-02-13, 04:37 AM
Yea we need a shuttle here in NY. Something new to see. I havent seen the museums yet but want to. Would be awsome to see a shuttle.

cancidas
2010-02-13, 10:46 AM
as much as i am for a shuttle at the intrepid, where are they going to park it?

PhilDernerJr
2010-02-13, 11:03 AM
They'd plan on building a glass enclosure for it at the end of the pier.

More info... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/nyreg ... .html?_r=1 (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/nyregion/14shuttle.html?_r=1)

cancidas
2010-02-13, 11:09 AM
They'd plan on building a glass enclosure for it at the end of the pier.
i like that idea, hopefully they'll be smart and make the enclosure big enough to house a shuttle and G-BOAD.

Derf
2010-02-13, 11:11 AM
if you click on the link in Phil's post, there is a drawing at the top that shows location.

cancidas
2010-02-13, 11:16 AM
if you click on the link in Phil's post, there is a drawing at the top that shows location.
i did, but the article doesn't really cover where the thing is going to be. BOAD is at the end of the pier, so i'm guessing that'll move. my wonderful firewall at work didn't let me lookat the pic. =(

Tom_Turner
2010-02-13, 12:45 PM
Ok, I signed the petition. Yes, we "need" it :lol:

Seriously, It would be great to get one in NY. Not to mention it will probably arrive at JFK on the back of a NASA 747.

Tom

cancidas
2010-02-13, 01:43 PM
Not to mention it will probably arrive at JFK on the back of a NASA 747.
and get floated up the hudson on a barge...

hiss srq
2010-02-13, 01:50 PM
I would think EWR would be a better option but than again the Concorde came to JFK. I'd love to see the NASA 741 doing the Canarsie turn to 13L with a shuttle on it's back.

jerslice
2010-02-13, 10:20 PM
The Museum of Flight here in town is gunning hard for one. Very, very hard. The House in Olympia passed a request to go after getting one.

NLovis
2010-02-14, 01:07 AM
I would think EWR would be a better option but than again the Concorde came to JFK. I'd love to see the NASA 741 doing the Canarsie turn to 13L with a shuttle on it's back.
Oh I would love that. Too bad the runway is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too short though. It would be bayside or nothing. I signed but I dont think it went through. My comp hard at work failing on me as usual.

Tom_Turner
2010-02-15, 12:07 AM
I would think EWR would be a better option

They'd have to get it across the turnpike though.....